1. Shivangi Verma

Shivangi Verma New Member

Is publishing a poetry book worth it?

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Shivangi Verma, Apr 5, 2024.

I do not think that my poems are worth publishing

2. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

I think only a few authors with massive ego problems think everything they write is gold. Most of us, I believe, suffer from imposter syndrome. I always feel my writing isn't done, and even after I send it out into the wild, I re-read what I wrote and wish I could have or would have changed something just a little. So the short answer is yes, your poems are probably worth publishing, even if you only manage to get friends and acquaintances to order it from Amazon KDP or wherever you choose to print.

3. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

That's where forums like these are useful. The workshopping is of course hit or miss because the respondent experience with making publishable work may be little or a lot, but it gets you semi out in the open and you can see what's noticed and responded to. Even just liked. I wouldn't try to publish just for the sake of publishing but try to inventory the audiences a little. Ultimately though, if you really want to publish any of your work you're going to have to step up and submit places. And you'll get rejected a ton, just like most everyone else. It is the way it is.