The Happiness Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Weirdo stalker alert :supershock:

Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  2. PenelopeWillow

PenelopeWillow Member

I sure hope not. But if I'm going to have a stalker I hope to, at least, get some writing material from it.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Also, a month to apologise... a F'king month - that doesn't sound like unrequited love to me

ETA : sorry if that peed on your happiness, I'm a right grumpy arse at the moment

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

COMPLETED CHAPTER ONE OF MY COLONIAL MYSTERY!!! 4,285 WORDS!!!!!

MarcT, minstrel and I.A. By the Barn like this.
  5. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

I'm writing so much, it's probably all rubbish but it feels great.

6. PenelopeWillow

PenelopeWillow Member

Oh no. I also thought this. A month to to work up an apology! I cant even imagine. Sounds like a trap to me!

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

My roomie has been waiting over six months for a hip replacement operation. To get it, he had to get clearance from a personal care physician, his cardiologist, a blood-testing lab, and even a dentist who insisted on abot $10,000 worth of root canal work before he'd allow the hip to be worked on. All of this happened at last, and my roomie was scheduled for surgery at 7:30 tomorrow morning. He's been in increasing agony for months as the hip deteriorated and was imagining the surgery as a new lease on life.

This morning, some medical secretary called and said the surgery can't happen for some bureaucratic reason.

Roomie hit the roof - he's a kind of angry person normally, and I've never seen him this angry.

He got on the phone and called at least six medical offices to try to get this all straightened out. Best he could get was a "Maybe - we'll call you back if you're lucky."

The surgeon's office called back and he's back on for tomorrow morning! Oh, frabjous day!

KaTrian and Iain Aschendale like this.
  8. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

PenelopeWillow likes this.
  9. PenelopeWillow

PenelopeWillow Member

As I read this I was waiting for the happy part! I wish him luck! Seems like so much trouble to have a hip replaced!

10. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    My driver figure for my toy truck arrived!

Hello Kitty will soon be driving a monster truck!*

*yes, this is cause for celebration in Iain-land. Why do you have that look on your face?

Cave Troll and PenelopeWillow like this.
  11. Rani99

Rani99 Member

My boyfriend started to like my cat. Even he can't admit it.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  12. 20oz

20oz Active Member

13. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Everything is going well so far with our new baby. She'll be a month old tomorrow. She's healthy. She's gaining weight. Everything is perfect.

My son is adjusting well. It was a little rough for him at first, but he's done so well getting used to it.

Overall, I'm not sure I could ask for a smoother ride. Everyone is happy, healthy, and full of joy.

My life is really fucking good.

14. big soft moose

I finally got to waterstones and spent all the book tokens that have been building up in my wallet all year

minstrel likes this.
  15. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

Been a long three months with little to no happiness. Been a three month without even touching the novel of 4 years WIP. I think a break turned out for the better, but things never seem to come good out in the end for me (irl).

One of my biggest troubles (because it affects life) is my lacking ability to get a good night's sleep. I sleep for 13 hours easily. I get nightmares all the time (last dream was suicide by immolation, and that is probably one of the lighter dreams...). This directly affects school, as I have a lot of absence. God damnit why can't things be simple?

Now since this is the happiness thread I will point to the good things:

Writing has never been better, I'm writing so much and the inspiration is flowing. I feel like I could actually finish without having to work on it for 5+ years.

School is doing good as long as I'm there. I'm not as hopeless and far out as I've been previously.

There have been gaps of no nightmares lately, which helps. I will only hope I might get more of them.

I have a plan to meet someone, the person that cut me out three months ago. Surprise visit. Even if he does not meet I will still have put it to rest (almost stopped thinking after booking hotel n buying ticket) so either way this was a win. If he does not meet me I'll just explore city n party, even though I'll probably be a bit saddened.

Only five months to go of school, then I move to a new city. New friends...A new life. I can't fucking wait to leave a lot of misery behind (I will take a bit with me. But 20% less is 20% less and I'll take that anyday)

The first part could've been in the not happy thread, but I feel like it's important to know the troubles to understand the meaning of the tiny happy things, which to some, might seem like a normal day.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  16. MachineGryphon

MachineGryphon Member

I do struggle a lot with depression, it got especially bad over Christmas, but things are starting to look up this year. Finally moving out into shared housing with some other guys. It was long overdue at 26, and I can't wait to get away from the unpleasant living situation I'm in with my parents currently.
    My book is also beginning to slowly come together. I got 15,000 words done in 5 days last week, and the inspiration hit while I was actually outside walking to see my therapist, when I was quite miserable. Just trying to live in the moment instead of the past, and when it works, it's great.

17. Link the Writer

OH MY GOD!! OH MY FUCKING GOD!! I AM SO HYPED!!! Goodbye, The Last Guardian and Fallout 4. Hello Mario and Zelda!!

18. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I just found another short, non-gibberish phrase that no one within Google's view has ever said before....

19. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

What is it?

20. writemare

writemare Member

the temp actually hit 18 above today, my son is napping and I am working out a story idea.... all in well

21. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

Visited my relative recently. We were both in bad moods but by the end of the visit, we both had a sense of peace. Very thankful for that outcome.

22. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    "Mohel to the Iscariots"

23. Link the Writer

Good news!!!!

I submitted chapter one of my colonial mystery to my former creative writing teacher (after asking for her permission first) and this is what she had to say:

"John, this is very, very good. You did an excellent job of making me believe Amos is mostly blind. That's hard to do. And you portrayed these frustration of that terrifically.

I don't think the story moves too slowly at all. You put us right in the scene. Plenty is happening. I think this is close to perfect!

Really, really good job! I love this story.

Wilkins is a lot more sympathetic. I liked him. And I am hoping the Dr. will be able to help Amos's vision problems. That would be terrific!

Yes, you did an EXCELLENT job of making the story alive from a blind person's point of view. A remarkable job. I'm really proud of you."

KaTrian likes this.
  24. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I'm now an editor for a bar association journal. At a meeting, I found out they historically prefer use of the Oxford comma. Because that's the right answer, I don't have to fight with them over it.

Catrin Lewis and Spencer1990 like this.
  25. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I had a short conversation with someone who wasn't on the clock, and neither was I!

The first one since January 9th.

And it was in English! He's German, so not a native speaker, but very fluent.

Human contact. Weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.