1. 907_escape

907_escape New Member

The hardest part about writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by 907_escape, Jun 2, 2010.

Hi, everyone! I wanted to know from all you other writers, aside from getting published and writer's block, what would you say is the hardest part about writing?

For me it would be finding the right story to tell. I've only ever tried my hand in fiction because there's so much more you can do. But I have no idea what to write about anymore. When I first started writing I loved writing horror stories, but that's just not in me anymore. So now I try to search for something that I think other people would like to read as well as something that I will be satisfied with. My other big problem is staying committed to the idea and the story. What I usually do is write 5-10 pgs then quit and move onto the next idea...I've probably done that about 30-50 times in the past 10 years. :(

2. Mantha Hendrix

Mantha Hendrix Contributing Member

Northern Ireland... the place I've taken for grant
    People I don't care for asking me what I'm doing...

The middle as well... gotta hate the middle...

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

The redrafting and editing.
    Sometimes you just don't want to take some sentences out; they are almost always thrown out of the 'Finished Story' hall kicking, and screaming, and scraping their nails along the floor: just trying to stay in there with the other cool sentences.

1 person likes this.
  4. izanobu

izanobu Senior Member

The hardest part for me is knowing that I'll never have time to get all the ideas written that I have. There just are too many, more arrive each day, and I'm never going to finish them all.

I, too, am not a huge fan of the great swampy middle of novels, but I've learned some tricks for getting through them, so it gets easier as I go.

5. Lemex

I never had a problem with the middle, or the begining - I only ever have a slight problem with the end, and that's when I've not planned a story out well enough. When this happens I just put the story to one side and let it mature a bit more.

6. Humour Whiffet

Humour Whiffet Banned

I love the editing and polishing part. But I find the final proof readings mentally exhausting. Proofing another person’s work is O.K. But I find the amount of concentration required to proof my own work is very draining. I think it’s because I know that the brain has a tendency to skip over errors and “see” what one is hearing in one’s head. So I am very slow and methodical, reading every word aloud when I touch it with my finger. It’s so tiring though.

7. Jenni

Jenni New Member

I struggle with staying focused on what I'm writing. Ideas for new stories come to me and I get all excited about them and plot them in my head and start to lose interest in my current work.

I have finished a couple of books but they haven't been very good so that's also a bit of a problem...

8. Mantha Hendrix

Mantha Hendrix Contributing Member

Northern Ireland... the place I've taken for grant
    I see what you mean, this post will haunt me in the months to come...

9. Lemex

I love you. This is so simple, yet wonderful advice.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

nothing about the writing itself is/was ever hard for me... getting it published is another thing altogether!

11. That Secret Ninja

That Secret Ninja Member

The hardest part for me?

Dialogue. While I think my re-drafted dialogue is okay at best, right now, I can't shake the feeling like I'm not hitting the nail on the head when it comes to my character interactions. Many of them seem like telepaths who can read every lie and truth spoken by whoever they interact with. They can also analyze every meaning and allusion in seconds, also have the ability to cut through bs to get with the meat of the ideas.

So my dialogue is all over the place and just off.... But then again I've been reading the Dune books recently and that seems like the style Herbert wrote in. it's just rubbing off on my writing. I don't know if it's working so well for me though.

12. Manav

Manav Contributing Member

Usually the writings which satisfy you the most are the ones people would like to read or enjoy reading.... so, I would say concentrate more on what satisfies you and not worry so much about other things.

As for what part of writing is the hardest.... I would say every aspect of writing, beginning from first draft to the final proofreading, is hard work, but equally satisfying and enjoyable. There is nothing I hate doing in the writing process.

13. RobT

RobT Active Member

Definitely the editing, I often change or delete what was there for something else, and then invariably put it back at a later edit. One thing I’m not looking forward to is writing romance / sex scenes, when (if ever) I get around to writing a story that needs them.

14. digitig

digitig Contributing Member Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    For me it's the combination of the blank page and the displacement activities. I had a day off work today, and decided to use it to write two 500-word assignments for a writing course. It took me until 8pm to get the first word down. I got a lot of trivial jobs done around the house, though :)

15. boesjwoelie

boesjwoelie Member

Just like RobT, I tend to avoid romance and such.

Apart from that, it differs from one story to another... in one story I can't figure out an ending, another I have difficulty with characters, yet another I just don't want to edit :)

16. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributing Member Contributor

For me, the hardest part is that point about 20 pages before the end when I know I am about to finish the manuscript. I tend to become very attached to my characters and it's sort of like seeing someone you love dearly sailing away on an ocean liner or boarding a plane and you know you'll never see them again. Even when there is a door left open for the possibility of a sequel, there is this big gap where my characters' lives go one way and mine goes another and, only if and when they come back to visit for that sequel, will I ever be able to catch up on their lives. But that's just not the same as living through it with them. (Okay, I think I need to ask the matron for my thorazine now.)

Saying goodby has never been easy for me.

17. JTheGreat

JTheGreat Contributing Member

I tend to have a hard time describing actions scenes in detail. And I don't feel comfortable with having my MC kill off other characters....

But the most frustrating thing, is finding te balance between indulgence and audience-awareness. I'm a very insecure person, so at times I seek too much approval. But at times I fear what they will say, so I keep to myself and write as I please. But then I realize I sound stupid, and the cycle starts all over again.

18. Smelnick

Smelnick Member

I find that I have the hardest time actually writing and keeping something. I get turned off a story because I'll start writing it and it'll seem so lame in parts, or I'll feel like i'm not doing a good enough job writing it. Also, maintaining the balance between dialogue and description. How much is too much etc.

19. Irish87

Irish87 Contributing Member

The bits and pieces of the story that do not interest me as much as other sections. This leads to bad writing, so I try desperately to avoid putting myself in this situation. Granted, that doesn't always happen.

20. MJ Preston

MJ Preston Banned

deleted

21. Sparrow

Sparrow Member

At the moment, I'd say I'm having two main problems.
    One is distractions -- all the other things I end up doing that need to be done or are easier to do. Like making this post.
    The other has to do with my actual writing; I'm noticing that I have great gobs of dialogue and not enough action. I know I'll fix that when I do my rewriting but it's worrying for right now.

22. Falconjudge

Falconjudge Member

Getting up, sitting down, and starting writing. Just cannot bring myself to.

23. Diablo Robotico

Diablo Robotico Member

I would say the hardest part in writing is getting started. I know I'm supposed to "Just write" but I get distracted and I start procrastinating. It doesn't help that occasionally I doubt myself as well.

Then when I get something written down (after days of delays) I'm not really pleased with what I've written.

It's actually easier when I'm writing for writing classes, because it forces me to write. I hope I can set up some self-discipline to simulate that kind of pressure.

24. Shinn

Shinn Banned

The hardest part for me is blocking out all distractions, so I can write properly.

25. Kirvee

Kirvee Contributing Member

Similar to Diablo, I have problems starting. I can have an entire chapter or scene playing over and over in my head, but when I try to write it out, my vocabulary runs away on me and I have no clue how to even start it.

Coupled with the fact I'm an innate perfectionist, it's a difficult roadblock to overcome for each chapter.