1. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

There's No Place Like This

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rei, Jun 3, 2009.

I just saw one of the recent Discover Ontario Commercials, and I started to wonder something. They were designed to get people who live in Ontario to travel within Ontario for their vacations instead of going to faraway destinations. There are a couple of references in some versions that wouldn't mean much to people outside Ontario, like someone in an Ottawa Senators jersey holding up a sign saying "GO SENS GO" in front of someone wearing a Leafs jersey, so I was wondering what people outside Ontario thought of them, and if it would convince you to come here. This one is my favourite:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CSIdrjzX4g&feature=related

2. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Pfft... everyone knows there's no such thing as an Ottawa Senators fan, just disgruntled Leafs fans.

But I like the video. Obviously, I'm not from outside Ontario but it captures most of what I'd expect. The shot of the Rideau was very nice, if it wasn't so hard to get around Ottawa would be a beautiful city in winter. I also love that one of the first shots is of the Stanley Cup- because hey if you're Canadian coming to the Hall of Fame's probably the only way you're ever going to see it.

3. Rei

Never been to Ottawa in the winter. Can't be that much harder than Toronto when the snow is bad. Have you seen the Justin Hines one yet? If you have, shh. I want people to look him up on youtube so they can discover how awesome he is by themselves.

4. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

The ice skating hooked me.

The intensity of the person singing distracted me from wanting to go to Ontario, though.

I don't need a video to make me want to go to Canada...I've always wanted to go to Canada.

5. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Ottawa's not much worse than Toronto for getting during the winter once you get on the main roads or a bus route. The problem is that away from downtown many of the residential streets don't have sidewalks, and in early winter they freeze over. The street where I lived was on a hill, which made getting to class an exciting adventure come December.

I liked the Justin Hines video. Once you get outside the cities Ontario has some very nice scenery

That's pretty funny. Outside of downtown Toronto, Ontario's pretty laid back.

6. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I've been to Toronto twice, both times in the summer. It was a lot of fun. Everyone was super nice, which is what really struck me about the place. Everywhere else I've gone on vacation, people are for the most part rude or indifferent. But I found myself in random conversations with people on the metro, or with the employees in restaurants and stores. I don't know what's so different there, but I liked it.

7. Rei

What's different is that we're all different, litterally. People in Canada are friendly to begin with, but when it's diverse as Southern Ontario is, it makes you very accepting of people.