The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by marina, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

True, but at least something was said. Maybe it was intended to be interpreted your way.

I love your name by the way. Named after Aya's hovercam in Extras?

2. Moggle

Moggle New Member

Indeed it is. I'm not a huge fan of that particular book in the series but I liked the hovercam for whatever reason.

3. Gigi_GNR

I loved the hovercam too. :D My preferred books in the series were Pretties and Specials.

4. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

SPoiler!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just finished Catching Fire.

It started off dull and when the quarter quell was announced as a battle between past victors, I thought here we go again. A rehash of the first book. Afterall the strength of the first book, in my opinion, was the concept of the games, especially the build up. For me the highlight of the hunger games was the scene when she's rising into the arena. That scene was the pinnacle of the book's brilliance. I actually felt my pulse racing like I was about to enter the arena myself.

Anyway, back to Catching Fire. When I realised the focus was returning to the actual games, I was a bit disappointed. And it was disappointing at the early stages, but then the complexion this time around turned out to be very different. I loved the clock idea. And the end with Katniss being the symbol of the revolution, that was powerful stuff.

I didn't find the Gale and Katniss relationship contrived. Katniss is such a reserved, "uptight" character it is quite plausable she could spend years with Gale and only realise she may love him when confronted with similar feelings for another. Catching Fire ends with a strong set of character conflicts for the finale. For some reason, Joanna was my favourite character. The repressed rivalry between her and Katniss was one of the stronger points of the book. Hope she features strongly in the third installment.

I'm not sure though about the next one. In Catching Fire everything outside the arena felt quite average. It didn't really grip me, and there couldn't possibly be another hunger games in the next book, so I wonder if it'll be anywhere near as good as the first two. We'll have to wait and see...

5. Gigi_GNR

It's currently on my shelf while I read other books (trying to build up the suspense) but I can't wait to read it and I'll tell you all what I think!!! :) :D

6. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

I just added this book to my most recent amazon pile purchase. It better be good!

7. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

It will be.

8. quillycat

quillycat New Member

I've read it.

It was on the reading bowl list this year. I thought it was pretty good.:)

9. turq8

turq8 New Member

I heard about it on another website, did a little research, decided I wanted to read it, then waited impatiently for 2 days for Monday to roll around so I could check if my library at school had it (it did, sort of). I then proceeded to finish said book in 5 hours and checked out the 2nd book the next day (one of my friends saw it next to me and made me read the cliff-hanger last sentence, to which I promptly opened the book and began reading). Now I am rabidly waiting for August to come, and spend my waiting time looking up Hunger Games fanfics and pictures on dA. This is my favorite book series. Period.

10. Gigi_GNR

I read Catching Fire, and the ending left me hanging! I really can't wait for the 3rd book!!!! :D

11. marina

Me too! People who have an advanced reading copy on GoodReads gave it a rating of 4.69 out of 5. :)

12. Gigi_GNR

:eek: If it's that highly rated, I'm even MORE excited!! :D

13. The Writing Writer

The Writing Writer New Member

That was just part of Katniss' personality. She is oblivious to everyone's feelings around her. She didn't even realize that Peeta was into her. She thought it was an act. She seems to be even oblivious to her own feelings, and refuses to deal with her emotions.

Overall, I thought Katniss was an irritable character, and I couldn't wait for her to be killed. I couldn't see why Gale and Peeta actually like this girl. Gale and Peeta were very likeable characters, but their biggest flaw were their feelings for Katniss.

14. Gigi_GNR

I actually like Katniss. She's much more survival-orientated so of course she doesn't pick up on feelings keenly; she has survived so long in the Seam because of her hunting and trading skills, not playing to people's feelings, so she can't understand it.

It's Peeta I have more of an issue with, if I had to pick a character. I love Peeta, but his biggest flaw IMO is that he doesn't GO AFTER Katniss. He doesn't have the survival instinct Gale has (well, Peeta's a baker's son so compared to Gale, he didn't have to fight to survive as much), and he's much less likely to get the girl IMO. But he's incredibly clever, and I like him. :)

Can't wait for the 3rd book!!!! :D

15. Afterburner

Afterburner Active Member

I've heard a lot of good things about this series, and I think I'll have to pick it up sometime.

16. Gigi_GNR

You definitely should, it's amazing! :D

17. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Ohh I love this book/series, it's absolutely fantastic!

I'm dying for the third one to come out already

18. Gigi_GNR

I've heard Collins is 2/3 of the way done with the 3rd book (that doesn't have a title yet) and I also heard a movie is in the works. :D

I'm also curious as to what happened to District 12 and how Peeta's doing. I'm reading Catching Fire. :D

19. marina

Wait, are you referring to Mockingjay? I'm surprised she's not done writing it; it's kind of hard to imagine because the book has to be reviewed by the editor, revisions made, etc. Doesn't give them much time to then get them printed and into bookstores.

Also, I thought ARCs - advanced reading copies - must've gone out to folks since on GoodReads.com it (book #3) has already received many ratings. But I googled and found that Scholastic didn't send out ARCs for the final book.

Anyway, hopefully we'll see more YA dystopia books in the future as publishers see how well they can sell. I read The Forest of Hands and Teeth, and though an interesting premise, it did not dazzle like The Hunger Games did (although, to be fair, it's hard to be dazzling with zombies, ha).

20. Gigi_GNR

Suzanne Collins also made Time's 100 Most Influential People of the Year, I was pleased to see. :D

21. solarstarrkatt

solarstarrkatt New Member

I loved this book so much. I wasn't too fond of Peeta, though.
    Oh, and if there are any books similiar to this that you enjoyed, school lets out in three days and I'm dying for something to read.

22. squire848

squire848 New Member

What a storyline! It draws you in from the start, the characters are deep and relationships complex. Truly great work regardless of age.

23. Gigi_GNR

^ I liked Peeta, more than Gale anyway. I like Gale too, but he's annoying at times while IMO Peeta is just a sweetie. :D

24. DownUnder

DownUnder New Member

I got about two-thirds of the way through it (loved it), but for some reason never got around to finishing it :rolleyes:. Gonna have to do that in a couple of weeks :).

25. Gigi_GNR

You definitely should, the endings to both books are amazing. :)