1. Diatribe

Diatribe Member

The infinity loop......to the REWRITE....AND BEYOND!

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Diatribe, May 20, 2015.

So tonight I put to (digital) paper my thoughts; comings and goings; progress; loss; and whatnot of my "Project Hatred1.1."

Or as I call it "The Infinity Loop of the Ever Rewritten."

It's frustrating at times with my mind. I sit here listening to the voices in my skull, saying "Write this." and "Say that."

Then they start to argue about how the other one was a dunce and how it needs reworked.

Then the reworking is reworked.

By the time it's all said and done, I've essentially edited down 3 pages of work to about 2 paragraphs. The next day, I delete that and start over.

*sigh*

I managed about 1,000 words today with very minimal rework!

I feel special. Snowflake in a blast furnace kind of special, actually.

I fear for tomorrow though and what I've written.

I love sci-fi and fantasy. I love the mystery and the thriller. A good western sings to me in great ways that often is of a song that nothing else can match. But so is the sound of a Sam Spade-like detective in a thick and rich pulpy noir.

So many voices in my head as it's hard to get one to focus on at times. Tomorrow will be a better day.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

There is such a thing is too much editing.
    "Less is more" is a BS thing to believe in when it comes to writing because many things could easily be edited out but remove flavor, style, and meat.
    Also, anyone here could edit their work until it's down to a single sentence if they go over and over it, agonizing over every word.
    Don't be afraid to just say "This is good and I like it" when you know you wrote it the best way you can.
    There's so much subjectivity, don't let your own doubts or inexperience tell you its not good enough.
    Because that voice will always be there.

3. Diatribe

Diatribe Member

Well, as the old saying goes "You are your own worst enemy" and I am NO exception. I AM the example people point to as to what that phrase is supposed to represent!

4. Canella

Canella Member

Hello there! :) question: do you edit the finished draft or do you edit what you've just written?

If it's the second variant, there's a great advice (you will find it in a gazillion books on writing too) - finish the whole piece no matter how terrible it is. You will feel better, trust me, and then, only then start editing it. (the same goes for editing, do scene 1, pass on to scene 2, do not go back until do the last scene and only then pass the whole thing through the editing process once again (preferably giving it a week or two, come back to it with a fresh perspective and a fresh attitude)). (I know, someone may throw a brick at me, saying that, for example, Dean Koontz writes and edits as he goes. Well, all I can say that, with all the respect to the wonderful Mr. Koontz and everyone else who employs this approach, everyone is different and not for everyone this technique works.)

Good luck with your writing!!!

*sorry for all the brackets :supertongue:

5. Diatribe

Diatribe Member

I edit on the fly. I will write a paragraph or three, then backtrack looking for....whatever. Sometimes it passes the sniff test, other times it gets nuked from orbit (its the only way to be sure).

6. Canella

Canella Member

This is the problem, I am like you but I made myself go till the very end. Only then do I let myself edit things. (This was one of the reasons I was never able to finish anything I started).

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Well for some of us, this is bad advice. So do what works for you.

In my case I edit and rewrite and edit and eventually I end up with a chapter that needs only the most minor editing if at all. Currently half the chapters in my book no longer look like they need much more editing. I'm quite happy with them.

But I am not beyond an edit or rewrite should some new revelation hit me as I read another book.

It's all been good.

8. Canella

Canella Member

Yup, there go the brick throwers :) @GingerCoffee, I agree with you, everyone has their own approach.

But as @Diatribe mentioned in the post above - scratching everything and starting it all over, well, this will get you nowhere. I admire people who can write and edit as they go, I, unfortunately, need to write it and only then will I edit it, otherwise I will end up in rewriting chapter 1 forever :) This is only an advice of what worked for me.

9. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

There's your problem right there. Never write chapter one first. :p

Shadowfax likes this.
  10. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I don't mean this to sound like I'm picking at you, @Canella , because it's really part of a larger question I have in general about advice on writers' boards...

When you say this method worked for you, what do you mean by it? Like, it allowed you to finish an MS, I'm assuming. Did it also allow you to come up with a finished version of an MS that you're really pleased with? Did it allow you to sell the MS, either to a publisher or via self-publishing? Did it allow you to produce an MS that's a best seller or an instant classic? Or...?

I guess I'm just confused by how certain many people seem to be that they've found what "works" for them. I'm not convinced that "works" is an absolute, I guess. I mean, if you're Stephen King or Doris Lessing, okay, your writing practices work. Definitely. But for the rest of us, I think we need to always be looking for better ways to do things. Does that make sense?

11. Canella

Canella Member

Ok, this discussion is getting more awkward by the moment...

Dear @BayView, just to pay your attention to my previous post, here is a quote:

It goes both ways, just make it clear, that is for every approach to writing!

When I said this method works for me because in almost five years it finally allowed me to finish at least the first draft when previously I was constantly rewriting and reworking every single sentence. (And, oh yes, I am proud of doing that!) Does that make sense to you, @BayView? Did I say I am a 'Stephen King'? You people are amazing... First of all the person here is struggling with constant rewrites. Here, give it a try - that was all I said. What is wrong with that? Was I making him/her take a paid course on 'how not to edit your work until you're done'?

And this is why some people get turned off by any forums or online communities... Learn to respect other people's opinion (especially when they are trying to be friendly).

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  12. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

Yeah, this is what I was worried about. I guess I should have stressed the "I don't mean this to sound like I'm picking at you, @Canella , because it's really part of a larger question I have in general about advice on writers' boards..." harder?

But you did answer my question, which was about what "works" meant to you. And I agree, finishing a first draft is important.

I'm sorry if you felt your opinion was being disrespected. To clarify, though, if I didn't respect your opinion, I'd have ignored it. Asking for clarification and further information was a sign that I did respect it, and wanted to know more about it.

13. Canella

Canella Member

Anyway, this got a bit absurd and I apologize to the author of the post :) I really wish everyone would find the thing that 'works' for them.

p.s. @BayView, thank you for clarifying that. The written text, unfortunately, not always conveys emotions, so maybe I reacted wrong to your post. Hope the misunderstanding is cleared. Good luck with your writing! ;)

14. Diatribe

Diatribe Member

Submitted several pages for review/critique to my writer friend. Hopefully he's brutally honest and is able to give me a good idea of what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong and how to adjust.

I hope.

15. UpstateWriter

UpstateWriter Member

Hi, there.

I'm always cautious when submitting work to friends and family for critique, even other writers. I have only one friend I trust for honest critiques, and only because he was an editor of a prestigious literary magazine and values good writing over our friendship. But keep up the writing! I always like to read about progress; it helps inspire my own.

16. Diatribe

Diatribe Member

Took several days off from attempting to write. Did a lot of thinking of what I submitted to my writer friend for review and critique. The time off did me good (and his having too many email addys to remember which one he told me to send it to before he found it). I convinced him to hold off reading it till I re-worked what I'd already sent him. Essentially, I got to thinking of how the story was flowing and realized that I had too many gaps in the story up to that point (in the measly ~4 pages I'd sent). Now that I've added in more fluff to the story, filled in the gaps, it's blossomed up to a healthier 6+ pages and I'm still working on it and I feel TONS better in whats there versus what was once there. He said he'd hold onto both and compare, which I'm fine with as I'd like him to see a before and after. Wish I was up to the point that I could offer a sample of what I'm working on, but I don't think I've had enough posts/reviews/ect yet to have it allowed.

17. Diatribe

Diatribe Member

*Mental Note*

Should I feel a little on the DURRR side for not knowing before today where my WORD COUNT tool was located in my writing software? Because, ya know....I kinda didn't know before today.

DON'T JUDGE ME! /shakes fist violently

18. Diatribe

Diatribe Member

Well, after two honest reviews of a snippet of my mental ramblings put to digital paper, I've decided to approach things different in my storytelling and flesh things out a little more sensibly and traditionally.

I think?

Let's hope so.