The -ize have it. American versus English spelling variations.

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by TheWingedFox, May 14, 2016.

1. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

They are all sinks in the UK, bathroom sink, toilet sink, kitchen sink, Belfast sink ....

A basin in the UK is what you would steam a fruit or Christmas pudding in

2. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

American here, and I go either way. For me personally, I think that our differences in how we write things, refer to whatever is being referred to even if it is different than how, "We, Americans say...." broadens our horizons. Let me get more specific here. I am a bred and born Texan (yeehaw lol), and even though I may say write y'all instead of you all when speaking in a casual manner, I would hope that my reader would understand that even though I may be from a different country than he/she is, that does not make it is any less than what it is.
    Culture is interesting from the written word to everyday things etc., it is not a box you stuff yourself into and then pull the lid over your head with. Frankly, I do get tired of 'desensitization' comments as I grew up watching Wallace & Gromit, The Tower, Black Adder, Red Dwarf, Dr. Who (old school woot!), had a strong Asian influence through the martial arts I did throughout my school years, and an adoptive sister is who is middle eastern. My childhood was a melting pot of cultures... yes and I love it. I totally get though where your coming from with when the phrase "Americans need to desensitize themselves" is uttered. I think we get too worried about offending others that we lose our voices as individuals to that worry.