1. Cicero

Cicero Banned

Worst writing setbacks?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cicero, Apr 29, 2008.

I just deleted my novel, by accident. Was almost on chapter 5. I'm sure that counts for something. :rolleyes:

2. FoxyMomma

FoxyMomma New Member

I lost an entire 5 subject notebook of untyped stories, poems and songs when a coke exploded in my bag. This just happened last month. I cried!

3. Plushii

Plushii New Member

In 3rd grade I wrote my first poem ever (on my own free will that is), and I was so proud of it. So I showed the teacher, all happy like and smiling. Well. She looked at me all funny, and sent me to the guidance councilor. :C

Three years later...I wrote a story! Not my first story...but nonetheless it was a story I was extremely proud of. I showed it to the teacher, again all smiling and happy. The next day she looked at me funny, and called my mom about it and sent me to the guidance councilor.

Oh, in 3rd grade I had about 30 something pages of a (crappy) novel all handwritten (I didn't know how to type back then), and my friend read it and said it was a rip off of Lassie and Homeward Bound.

I was bummed. I never looked at it again. The story was about a wolf who got separated from this little girl whom he loved, so he got a gang of dogs in order to get back and find the little girl. XD What? I was 9. But now that I think about it, it is a rip off of Lassie and Homeward Bound...o.o

4. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Laziness.

5. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Whenever a semester of Uni looms ever-presently over my head.

6. Frost

Frost Active Member

Laziness is a good answer. That and lack of inspiration.

7. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I was away for a couple of weeks and forgot to pack a few disks to save my work onto. Whilst away my laptop was sobataged by a person I shant name and I lost everything. I had written quite a substantial amount of poems in the time away and almost completed a re-write of a short I had been working on. I had no computer for the remainder of that time. I was without my laptop for a few months before I found my recovery disks and was able to fix the problem....now I email all my work to my private email account, make a disk once a week, then another once a month and I also print my work out as well. I never want to lose my work again....NEVER!

8. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I've never lost a novel... I'm far too careful for that. Seriously, it borders on paranoia sometimes. I back my entire hard drive up onto an external hard drive, I keep a copy of all my work on my flash drive, and I have an SD card hidden in my room, with a third backup :p

9. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

whenever i have huge amounts of time i cant write but when i've got a project due tomorrow i'll have to jot down something.

10. Banzai

Lol, I'm the same. I have loads of revision to do now, but I keep getting story ideas!

11. silverfrost

silverfrost New Member

That's great, because when I was about that age, I used to write stories about puppies and wolves and foxes too. I probably stole Homeward Bound at least a couple of times. Hahaha, good times.

Ah, that's probably mine too. All of my projects come to a halt at the start of a new semester.

12. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

We are like clones... :eek:

13. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I was typing up a new chapter like crazy well into the night. It was massive, easily fifty thousand words. I was almost done, and then... the computer froze. An unrecoverable error, which I still haven't figured out, and of course I was too into what I was doing to think about saving it. I know, it's not that bad of a setback, but I was pretty annoyed. My redone version of it (which I saved every five minutes) was significantly shorter, because, working on it again, I was able to find a lot of things that needed to be cut. So in a way, it was a good thing.

My computer is still an ancient piece of trash, though.

14. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I lost everything I wrote a year or so ago when the compter broke and we had to have it put back to manufactory settings. I cried for hours. :p It was better though 'cos I could go through threads here and get back some of the stuff I has posted.

15. Banzai

Lol. I forgot to add, I keep another backup copy on SkyDrive.

16. Amor

Amor New Member

o_O My long-lost twin! Okay, the noob is totally joking. But seriously, I do the same thing :p

17. lessa

lessa New Member

don't know if this is a set back on writing or on self esteem.
    you write a story and the child you send it to doesn't get to see it because the parent won't print it out.
    you can go on writing but it hurts too much to do so.

18. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Ow Lessa, I am so sorry to hear that, I know you put a lot of effort into that story, if it is the one I remeber reading a while ago. Screw 'em eh. :)

19. FinalConflict

FinalConflict New Member

I forget to save and my computer for some reason doesn't notify me of this so I lose all the things I just wrote, of course this only happens when I write something really long and really good.

20. Klee

Klee New Member

About three weeks ago I had to write an essay for a class, I wrote about 10 pages of worthwhile words, not just info dump, and suddenly POOF!! The program closed and I lost everything. I did cry because I had no backup and the friend I was with looked at me weirdly.

I ended up writing five pages of more or less useful info in five minutes, fortunately karma helped and everyone else wrote less than me, so I didn't feel as bad.

21. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

When I am just finishing an article, the words are flowing perfectly and suddenly the computer stops responding. The window then closes and it begins to shut down. I look down and see my smiling one year old holding up his index finger. He loves turning the computer off.

22. FinalConflict

FinalConflict New Member

Writer's Block.