1. ProcrastinatingDreamer

ProcrastinatingDreamer Member

The journal journey of the procastinator

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by ProcrastinatingDreamer, Aug 19, 2015.

Nerves! :eek:

Hi, everybody. This is a little progress journal I created to stay on top of my novel, Tame ( or Damien, I haven't really determined the title yet. ) It started off as a simple idea, but knowing myself, it of course spiraled out of control.

Before I go any further, I'd like to give a general idea of what the book is about:

So it's about this human boy travelling with a group of migrating animals. The reason the animals are migrating is due to their home ( an ancient kingdom ) being destroyed, and the destruction led to only a few animals surviving. Not including the boy, only four members are left.

The group's goal is to find an ancient animal that will create for them an eternal paradise. The only problem is that they have to venture through a land where the natural world ( their world ) and the heavens ( a world of magic ) overlap with each other. Given this situation, you can imagine that they encounter a lot of hardships. Famine, fire, monsters, etc.

On the most basic level, this is a fantasy quest, and I am still working through some of the worldbuilding.

One major aspect of this world, and actually where this idea came from, is that there is only one kind of every animal. So if you have a zebra, well that's the only zebra you'll ever have. This factor weighs heavily on the protagonist, the human.

The human's primary motivation in this story is that he feels like a hinderance on the team and wants to be able to protect or provide for them. Of course he's physically weaker and slower than the others, and he lacks their abilities ( like sensing weather changes. ) Personality wise, this character is naturally quiet and meek, but brave in the face of danger. I'm not entirely sure why I chose this personality, but I guess it just clicked for me.

So I just poured the idea of my passion project into this journal, hopefully it's not just blind passion.

Right now I'm focused on making sure I have an ending, which has been harder to conceptualize than I anticipated. I have multiple endings I could use, but none of them will be easy to execute ( what am I saying? The whole thing will be hard to execute. )

So the past couple of days have been just trying to outline this story, and I do have to wonder how long it takes most writers to outline? I promise I'll get it done, with difficulty ( and less griping. ) ;)

2. rainy_summerday

rainy_summerday Active Member

The idea seems quite interesting and post-post-modern. Right now, literary studies is turning towards the representation of animals in literature. Think Sewell's Black Beauty. Your idea fits in with contemporary research quite well.
    It actually reminds me of the children's books The Animals of Farthing Wood. Do you know that one? Sans the human child, though. If you go for this kind of story, I would really recommend you to read other novels written from an animal's perspective or about a very sentient animal. Maybe Watership Down, too. Because it can be quite difficult to get the tone right. Then there's Orwell's Animal Farm.
    Since you wish to depict different animals, it could be very interesting to have them have different levels of "awareness." Just a thought.
    But so far, sounds very promising.

3. ProcrastinatingDreamer

Thank you for your encouragement!

I've actually encountered all of those stories
    ( loved Animal Farm ), I have strong fascination with human/animal relationships, but I thought a more positive relationship might be interesting ( the boy and animals are almost like a family.) I understand the sort of tone you're describing, though it's hard to put into words ( I guess I have more of a feel for it. )

I guess I should also mention this is an alternate universe with its own history ( in which the human race as we know it never existed ).

4. ProcrastinatingDreamer

Today, I managed to complete a large portion of my outline. I was able to map out the first act and have nearly completed the third and fourth.

Tomorrow, I think I will be able to finish the third act and hopefully fill in the second as well.

Sidenote: I find that I'm a bit of a depressing writer, as a large portion of my third act is pretty sad. I'm not sure if it's too sad yet because I haven't actually written it, but I definately will be interested to hear the opinion of my beta readers.

5. rainy_summerday

rainy_summerday Active Member

Well done :) Sounds like you are making progress.

And there's nothing wrong with sad stories. If you look back at Ancient Greece, they actually valued tragedies over comedies. Although I believe we need both, light-hearted and sad moments. If it feels wrong, you can change it later on. But don't fret about it. Often it is the saddest scenes of a novel that one remembers most vividly. They have a great emotional impact on the reader.

6. ProcrastinatingDreamer

Despite my outline having some holes in the story, I think I'm going to finally bite the bullet and actually start writing.

I'm both a very logical person and a perfectionist, so I feel that I'm probably overthinking this outline. It almost feels like I'm using it as an excuse to well...procrastinate.

To be honest, I probably have plenty from my outline to work off of at this point.

7. ProcrastinatingDreamer

My accomplishments today were two whole chapters.

They are far from elegant prose ( VERY far ) but I'm happy I managed to get them written.

8. ProcrastinatingDreamer

Another two chapters under my belt today, they're actually pretty short chapters but they take a while to write. I wanted to make more progress than I did, but I haven't gotten into the writing habit just yet.
    Hopefully, I can get myself into the groove of writing a couple hours in the morning and a few hours at night. I'd like to avoid the afternoon when I'm drained and my brain is shot. Knowing my school schedule, I think this habit will suffice nicely.
    I'm happy to say the process was a little less daunting and a lot more fun today! :)

9. ProcrastinatingDreamer

Progress was extremely slow over this weekend.

Saturday, I didn't even get the chance to write anything.

Sunday, I only managed about a chapter and a half.

I've only got about fifteen pages of work overall, which obviously a very minute fraction of the work needed to be done on this draft.

But I have faith in the process. I'm honestly surprised with my patience regarding this project, I thought I would be tearing my hair out with how long it actually takes to complete the first draft. This week, I'm really hoping to put more energy into it.

10. ProcrastinatingDreamer

It's been awhile, I know. But I'm excited to say that I'm up to 13,000 words at this point!

The aforementioned hair tearing has occurred, but not because of my slow progress. Rather it's my inner critic shifting into overdrive. Many days I've found myself absolutely despising what I write. As I'm getting closer to my goal, I'm finding it harder to appreciate my work. Is this normal or am I losing it?

If the draft is bad now, is there any hope I can make it into something halfway decent?