1. blackbird04217

blackbird04217 New Member

Formatting and Printing

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by blackbird04217, Nov 5, 2011.

I am planning writing in pieces for my scrapbook of my Appalachian Trail adventure in 2009. Initially I wanted to use handwriting but after about two weeks of writing the alphabet on pages of a notebook afterwork, including some random stories - my handwriting is not nearly the quality I wanted. So I've decided to use the computer; as it is fool proof; so I thought.

I am using OpenOffice Writer, OR Google Docs for writing these pieces. However, I need to make sure that when printed they stay within a specific area like; 5 inches wide by 2 inches tall. Different for each piece. It is very easy to see and use the horizontal ruler to align the edges as desired, but I can't find a way to limit the length. I am hoping someone here is a mastermind with this so when I print these pieces they will be able to be cut and pasted into the scrapbook.

Thanks!

I really thought there was an option: "Insert -> Add Text Box" which allowed you to select size and the text would be within those bounds or clipped if written too long. Seems this is not a common thing anymore?

2. blackbird04217

blackbird04217 New Member

I managed to finally figure out how to do this. Oddly I had tried this before asking but it didn't work.

In OpenOffice;

Click: Insert -> Frame.
    Specify the width/height.
    Then click on it afterwards and you can type whatever you want inside the frame. [This was the part that didn't work for me before I asked.]

I hope this helps someone in the future!