1. ivy_moon

ivy_moon New Member

The Lake House by James Patterson

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by ivy_moon, Jul 22, 2006.

This was the first book I have read by Patterson, and I have been told by Patterson fans that it strays from his usual style of writing.

I will surely be reading more of his works to become familiar with his style, however, I was very impressed with this book.

The story showed a strong ability to invision possibilities in the future of genetic research.
    Possibilities that Patterson makes believable to his readers.

As the story unfolds, each character is addressed in a way that gives the reader a full view of the inner workings of that character's place in the story, as well as a clear determination of how that character feels about every trial they face.

Although the plot of the story is intricate, Patterson displays an ability to draw the reader in without confusion. There is a concise feeling of imminant danger throughout the story, however there is enough love and hope involved to balance out the suspense.

I would recommend this to Patterson's faithful readers as well as those who have not read Patterson's work before.

A small note of warning, though, this book is not for the weak-stomached reader. There is not a tremendous amount of violence, however, the ideas brought forth in the story are a bit disturbing if you don't like to think about the possibilities of half-insane doctors experimenting on innocent, unknowing subjects in ways that end up in the subject's death.

In a nutshell, this book offers both suspense and drama, love and fear... and especially hope.

I give it two thumbs WAY up.:p

1 person likes this.
  2. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

Sorry, I know this is a writing forum, but have you seen the movie? Does it compare favorably?

3. Veronica0406

Veronica0406 New Member

I loved this book! Great read. :)

4. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Having read a lot of Patterson's work before I was slightly discouraged by the many people who have said that it strays from his usual works but after reading your well written review and the feedback from some others you may have just persuaded me to go and read it...