1. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Senior Member

The Largest amount, the smallest time?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TheNewGuy, Jun 1, 2009.

The question: What's the most you've ever written in the shortest amount of time?

For me, it was 25k on one story in less than a month. It's not a lot, but I like to take my time. I barely finish anything, but I get lots of starts.

Is it healthier to go faster and touch up later?

Or is it best to take it slow and nail everything (or most things) right the first time?

2. Kas

Kas Contributing Member

That depends on whether you're still learning, or actually able to publish something as soon as you finish it. I don't think a good writer should need to spend a lot of time editing.

I spend a lot of time editing and trying to get things right the first time.

It also depends on how you learn best. I learn by discovering my mistakes and not repeating them. So if I just blitz through project after project I'll just wind up with a whole lot of crap.

Look back at your writing when you first thought you might like to be a writer. It was probably terrible. Imagine writing a whole book that way. Some people do that. What's the point? With that much practice at sucking, you'll probably continue to suck out of habit even when you know better. You'll have a hell of a time unlearning all of the stupid things you've been working so hard to reinforce.

So I edit a lot. I don't want to practice sucking.

My biggest pile of crap was 7000 words generated in three hours. I thought it was so awesome. I thought I was DA BOMB. Well, I was da bomb. Da big **** bomb. I looked at it a few days later and wanted to stab my eyes out.

So I'm a slow poke.

I'm working on 3 books atm, and I've never finished writing anything. Of course, I've only been writing for a few months. Now, some people might have finished a dozen short stories and have a novella completed in the time I generated a few chapters - but as far as I'm concerned... comparing cocks this way (pardon me) is pointless until someone actually publishes something.

Oh, I have a good sample scenario...

Have you noticed that some posters in the review room will submit a truly awful piece, maybe do one revision (or not) and then submit something else just as bad? Yeah, they're the busy beavers.:rolleyes: Then there's the guy who obsessively revises the same thing 5 times until it looks nothing like the first version, then moves on to something else. You can actually see a significant difference between the rough version of their new story and the old one. They are usually the ones improving the most.

I think that stressing about word count vs time spent is just a good way to make things harder and slow you down.

/End Rant

3. A2theDre

A2theDre Active Member

Half a chapter in a day. Yeah..... I procrastinate.

4. JGraham

JGraham Senior Member

I have done like 18 pages in one day, which i would say is my best that I can remember. Not sure of the word count on that but yeah. I mean that took me like five hours but that is all I did. Usually tho I dont push it, if im not feeling it I stop, otherwise I dont feel it is very good.

5. starseed

starseed Contributing Member

Probably like.. 30 something pages (in Microsoft Word, side 12 font) in a day.

6. Nervous1st

Nervous1st Senior Member

PML

I do agree with you Kaz, I do what you do... try to get it right the first time BUT, I would like to see it finished in my lifetime.

I can't remember who said it (someone on this forum quoted someone else) but they said: Don't get it right, get it written.

I chant it like a cheerleader when I'm writing. It pushes me through and helps me move on when I just 'simply can't find the right word'.

7. Kas

Kas Contributing Member

I know what you mean, Nervous. Sometimes I just have to mark the spot and move on. My most recent work is usually riddled with (????) where I just can't remember a word to save my life. Or I can't figure out how the heck to describe something. When you're mentally constipated there's no need to pop a vein.

8. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Senior Member

I am usually never at a loss for words, but when I write and I spend a lot of time on a single sentence that sentence usually ends up beng commented on as 'needs to change.' I don't know why, but when I work extra hard on something it gets harder.

Kas, you rock my socks, that was funny!

9. Nervous1st

Nervous1st Senior Member

LOL

Oh God, I can't wait to read your work!

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

probably a complete, 120 page screenplay, in 10 days, never having written one before then...

when working on major projects in my old write-for-pay life, i'd frequently work non-stop, 18-20 hours a day for several weeks, stopping only to eat, if someone brought me food...