The "Let's Discuss Religion As Though We Were Grownups" Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by guamyankee, Feb 17, 2011.

1. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

I like all of that except for the final sentence. It seems thrown in with the rest of the piece.

2. Chudz

Chudz New Member

Actually, I was tending to be offended at your point. However, I realize the separation between my thought and your conclusion, which is just as valid as mine.

Once again, thanks for your thoughts.

3. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Well, I do tend to offend. But I really do like all but the last of that piece. It fits in with with my novel and the idea that things run in cycles. I'm just not sure there really is something out there that understands it all.

Your offense would seem to reveal that you are more spiritual than I, perhaps. Nothing wrong with that.

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I don't know what you mean by this, it is literally just words which has nothing to do with the post you quoted.

I don't have any form of supernatural belief, so by definition I reject the claim that a god exists because I don't believe in one, or anything of a divine/supernatural nature because I don't have any belief in one. Not believing in something is not a belief in itself, it's just the fact that you reject the belief in something you don't believe in.

For the sake of throwing this in: I don't believe outright in the claim that there is no god. For all I know, there might be, but I don't believe in one.

If you want to use the word Agnostic when applying to me I'm fine with that:

That seems to fit me well, but:

Both taken from dictionary.reference.com.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/agnostic

5. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

I misread your sentence, Lemex.

If you use the reasonable person clause, I think a reasonable person would find you more an Agnostic than an Athiest. But that's semantics so, I won't argue it further.

6. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

Oh yes, you will! ;)

7. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I can't remember much about the range of religions there are, but as for me personally I guess you'd describe me as agnostic. I don't believe in a god, or a higher spirit, or whatever you want to call it, but I'm open to it. The main reason I probably don't believe is because I have no evidence of it, no experience that there is. Also, there's the whole war/evil/suffering etc. and I do know the arguments and reasons religious people have for this, but still. If there was a higher spirit, then I'd like to think that they wouldn't let this world get as bad as it has, and is.

1 person likes this.
  8. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I am getting an urge to shout HE's BEHIND YOU !!! Ok no idea why when this thread says its for Grown Ups I have a huge desire to be childish lol

May as well stick to the idea we are inside God's belly for now.

9. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Please be childish so that I'm not the only one. lol.

10. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

I believe that there is a god, but I don't believe that Jesus was the son of god or anything... Though my boyfriend's parents insist I change my ways or I'll go to hell, I just want to live a pretty moral lifestyle and help people out when I can. I don't know if there's a heaven or not, but if there is, it just sort of seems too easy to me to think that you can get into heaven just by accepting Jesus as your savior. Obviously I'm not Christian, but I don't know what religion I would be best suited for... Judaism, perhaps?