1. Lifeline

Lifeline The Dark - not in Wonderland Supporter Contributor

The Life of Lifeline

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Lifeline, Oct 30, 2015.

Hi guys,
    just wanted to share my exhilaration that a story idea I had way, way back (about 15 years or something) just took off like fireworks. Thanks to one of the threads in here which I replied to without considering the consequences :D
    I only had one character, one scene somewhere in the middle (I thought), and then suddenly without warning.. Boom!
    So, I'm already now up to about 6000 words (somewhere at the end of ch.1), and the rest of the story is falling into place. Complete with theme, with other characters, with lots and lots of my heartblood thrown in - and I can't stop writing!
    When I am up to my posts I will probably be searching for some beta-readers, so keep me in mind :p
    Thanks an awful lot!!

2. Cappy and Pegody

Cappy and Pegody Member

Good luck and keep on writing its very exciting isn't it?

3. Lifeline

You can say that, but it's something of an understatement ;)
    I'm living in my story at the moment - when something's sat in your backbrain for so long and you never thought that it would come to anything.. there is no feeling quite like it :D

4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Contributor

Exciting!! What kind of story is it? :)

Lifeline likes this.
  5. Cappy and Pegody

Cappy and Pegody Member

I started dreaming of writing a book at age 16 many a night driving a boat I dreamed of the story 40+ years later I lost my job had a lil money in the bank so I decided to go ahead and write it. A dream come true first me then my wife got so involved in the story we dreamed about the characters and Peg every once in a while says look doesn't that person remind you of _____ one of the characters. In short I know your excitement and now that we are published can give ya encouragement.

Lifeline likes this.
  6. Lifeline

@Tenderiser: Just a fantasy story, revolving around "Loyality". If you want you could look at my post in "It was a dark and stormy night..", just to wet your appetite ;)

I'm not working solely toward publishing, I like to have the way as the goal and not the finish. If it happens it happens and if not I will be rewarded enough by my enjoyment of writing this story. But I want to finish it and see how it all turns out :D

Logging off now to write some more.. Friday evening.. the whole night is waiting! :twisted:
    Cheer me on!

7. Lifeline

Up to 13000, beginning of c3 :D

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  8. Lifeline

Okay, now that this thread is where it's supposed to be (this squirrel was like squirrelly fast :D) and I need a break from my story anyway *grumble*, so lets just do this properly. The whole weekend is waiting for writing, I can take my time.

Basic stuff which needs to be resolved before I get the whole storyline really finished:

(1) Need to do some work more researching how long it should be. Need to look up favourite writers and the length of their novels. I have a preposperous number of word counts in my head, but ..
    That looks awfully short to me but maybe I'm imagining things. As I said, have to look it up.

(2) Need to figure out the real BASIC happenings between where I have sketched out the next three chapters and the finish. Ideas there aplenty but they are not concisely connected at the moment. Need to cut down to basics and logically connect them. As I said, only major happenings. I expect my MC's have their own idea how they want to deal with them and things can (and will) change around.
    So, (a) needs to be the tension-arc decision (as in, at what word count should the main action... start) and (b) needs to be the approximate event taking place.

(3) Need to cut down on my apprehension for the happenings in CH4/5 :meh: I so do not want to upset their lifes, and I expect writing that will get real hard on me. They just are too real to me and I can vividly imagine how that would feel what I have in store for them. I took this advice to heart, and now I sort of regret it: "Think about what would be the worst thing which could happen to your characters - and then do it."
    On one hand I am really excited when planning these chapters and I can get pretty euphoric, but I just can't imagine writing this stuff down. Maybe I am too emphatic??

Okayyyyy... enough break. Someone give me a brick for my brain :p

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  9. Lifeline

Ad (1): Just found out, length should NOT go over 140,000. Repeat, NOT. Better set the limit between 100 and 120. That means I have to really start the storyline. I am now at 13,000 (but ch2 was a bit longer than ch1) so that is about 1/10th already done :eek:

Note to self: Wow, you are really rooting for it! Started in the middle of October (looked at the date of the first post just now), and that's only about 3 weeks behind :eek:. Taking into account that I can only write in the evenings after getting back from work and at the weekends, that's not bad Girly! :D

Now to (2), (a): That really gives me now something to go on. For one, 13,000 equates to my first two chs, 1/10s. 9/10s still to go == 18 chapters. In terms of plot development, at the very latest in ch9 the major conflict should be developed, and in ch16 the showdown to give me some room around to play and not get stuck on the word limit.
    Gah.

That gives me 7 chs more to play with developing relationships (ch6-9), small scale conflicts which build up to the major one, and get support which needs to be there at the finish.
    Subtract the difficult ch4 and ch5, will properly need another one (ch6) to get my MC's back on their feet, but that one can start in on the relationship issue with the wide public. ch6-9 need to built up to the major conflict, the bomb can drop at the start of ch10.

So ch3 will be about getting comfortable with the developed relationships, and the first whiff of so-not-welcome-events-coming.

Good!

Just brainstorming here guys :twisted:. Before I get sidetracked I need to start writing again. Now that I have consolidated that ch3 will be what I had thought it would be (and I am tired of thinking it all out), I can enjoy it wholeheartedly. ch4/5 will come soon enough, or for that matter, the end of ch3 :( Did I say I will not enjoy it???

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  10. Lifeline

I managed to write a teaser :D, YEAH! And here it goes...

-------------

Dhere was a mage with bad prior experiences under his belt. Prickly and ever defensive, he just wanted to be left alone, doing his minimal duty.
    The guard, Styx, didn't want more from life than being with her friends and family, making sure that no one came to harm, as she believed in the truth of law and order.

Both live in a world where mind-storms rage, tempting people to insanity, with only rigid rules standing between their society and chaos. A world where wild beasts feed off the storms, and men.

When they are thrown together will or nil they find a way to accept a deep friendship in each other, coincidally discovering a path to things which have been forbidden with reason. But what happens when their partnership gets broken? When Dhere suspects that there is a reason to unreason, that possibly their society has lived off wrong premisses all along? Will they be able to reconcile, and repair that which has been broken long ago?

-------------
    And by the way, I accept comments ;)

WC1: 6300
    WC2: 7250
    WC3 (in progress): 900

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  11. Ippo

Ippo Member

"Both live in a world where mind-storms rage, tempting people to insanity, with only rigid rules standing between their society and chaos." That sounds cool. I might have a look later on.
    As for Styx, I don't know about your world - and of course it's taking place in a wholly different setting than our medieval times, but is it very likely for a woman (Yeah, there are some women who can pull off some serious butt kicking but that's an exception) to be a guard? As I said I don't know about Styx or her world and its norms but the feminine body, due to its tenderness, isn't exactly that suitable for a guard.
    As I said, I'll have a look and maybe the story will clear the dust.

12. Lifeline

Piffle ;) that's just a trailer! It's not expected to go into details.

As for woman being the 'gentle sex', look at Catharine de Medici. Or these certain English Queen who had everyone beheaded? From personal experience (I did martial arts for years and years), women are generally more ruthless than men. That's the reason I (as a woman) am a bit wary of other women. Go figure :oops:

But you will be disappointed when you expect that I will post my story here. This thread is just to keep track for myself of all the issues that are bound to come up. If some agent knocks on my frontdoor and says, "Hey, the guys from writingforums have told me that there is a NY-bestsellerlist type story lying around under your mattress" I don't want to have to tell him that I made it openly accessible here. If you are really interested stay active on the board and look for a post for alpha- or maybe beta-readers in a bit. But I don't make any promises :twisted:

13. Ippo

Ippo Member

Of course women can fight, too. Ronda Rousey is a very popular example. It has nothing to do with being passive instead of aggressive but more so with the body that is clearly not as robust as the male equivalent. That usually puts female guards etc. at a disadvantage - unless the story background has some explanation for it.

14. Lifeline

*bangs head on the floor* No I will not get into an argument about fighting abilities as that is not relevant anyway o_O *stops banging head on the floor*

This isn't some kind of Fight Club novel ;)
    These kind of discussions should be done in one of the boards which are more widely read. I think it could be a valuable discussion.

15. Ippo

Ippo Member

Of course it's no big deal but the characters are who and what they are for a reason and that should amount to a net of reason in the end. In the end I am just screening. It is an indicator of quality when even the easily overlooked details sit well together, yes?
    Anyways I hope to get an actual read soon as it does sound cool ;)

Lifeline likes this.
  16. Lifeline

Oh well when you put it that way ;)
    And you have jogged my brain in any case. I have not discovered serious discrepancies but it is good to think about such things. So, Thanks! :D

17. Ippo

Ippo Member

Well if I have jogged your brain then I'm happy to be of service ;)
    A story well told will not be stopped by petty things like these, it's just generally good to keep in mind that the events and the characters of the story have to be in alignment with the world they are set in. If you decide that the head of the military is a 20 year "old" man, then there should be a good reason behind it other than "well because that's just the way it is in the story".

18. Lifeline

So, started a (at the moment) small file with things which keep popping up into my brain which I need to fix in the first rev (after I have finished with the whole stuff). I don't want to fall into the trap of perpetual fixes and not get further with ch3, but I also don't want to forget about these fixes. I expect that to cut down on the time I will need for rev1.
    Also include where these things have to be fixed so that I can write subsequently based on the fixes which will get made.

Ippo likes this.
  19. Ippo

Ippo Member

That sounds like a nice gameplan.
    Push forward and don't stay behind more than you need to, yeah, that's the spirit! ;)
    It's always good to do extensive research (on your world, your characters and the topics concerning the story, like swordfighting or how monarchs used to live etc.) before writing. Even though that can be a tedious task it remains a vital part of writing - plus it should eliminate minor incompletions like the whole guard kinda thing.

Lifeline likes this.
  20. Haze-world

Haze-world Senior Member Supporter

Ippo does make a good point, in my case. I may be guilty of placing characters of the wrong physical frame for fighting (children and small women) so I need to look closely at my fantasy story.
    I always thought that people use a style of fighting to suit their frames. A child or woman could still be a sneaky killer.

I am intrigued by your story Lifeline.

21. Haze-world

I plan to keep to limit of 100 000 words, split into 70 chapters. My first draft has turned out five chapters too long as my characters took a different pathway to the one that I had originally planned. I will be pruning though. I was curious as to how many scenes you fit into your longer chapters.

22. Lifeline

Hi there Haze-world :) Looks like this is your very first post, I am honored!

But what you both said, this is the whole point of me being here in this thread. If I only stay locked up in my brain it will take a very long time indeed for me to see the inconsistencies. It helps to make myself a timeline and the one thing I resent is not being able to go into specifics (the whole thing about 'publishing in a forum is publishing anyway').

I am aware that for serious critique on writing style (and that is the very first hurdle to clear) I need to post at least samples for everyone to read. But I am writing my novel and if I let myself get sidetracked by different stories, even if they are only short-stories for contests here, then I fear for my determination. I could so easily loose track and go off on a tangent. It happened all too frequently in my teens. My brain was overloaded with story ideas, I wrote some paragraphs on each of them but never sat down to be serious about it, or God forbid, to finish something!
    I am looking forward to making the 100 posts hurdle, then I will search for someone/sometwice's to be an Alpha for maybe ch1, to get the major critiques for style and coherence, and attention grabbing the reader.

I can only say, please be patient and stay tuned. I am not sure if I should be apprehensive of giving out stuff or not, I've never had another writer in the vicinity to critique my work, only about 1 non-writing friend way, way back when my style was completely different, me being about 20 years younger. I think it is reasonably okay, but as I wrote it I would naturally think that :p

23. Lifeline

ch2 has 6 scenes :)

24. Haze-world

Ha! Yes, I stuck at it like a person possessed (or something like that!), fearful of not finishing but I didn't and I suspect you won't either. it took me about six months, including making up the world and developing characters.
    I share your concerns about keeping your story under wraps, so I will write other stories and put them forwards on this forum to check my writing skills are improving.

Lifeline likes this.
  25. Haze-world

Agh! I meant i did finish the first draft and I suspect you will too! Sorry. Didn't read it through properly!