1. Justin Rocket 2

Justin Rocket 2 Contributor Contributor

The Long Way Home (5000 - 7500 word short story)

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Justin Rocket 2, May 8, 2015.

My short story starts with the protagonist, Matthew, being out processed from prison. His crime was involuntary manslaughter of his wife (he was driving while intoxicated and she died as a result). His goal is to be reunited with his son. His son is living in the foster system on the other side of the country (in New York). During his journey, he has to face his inner demons (unresolved psychological issues) regarding his wife's death.

The story has a Stephen King twist. The protagonist has a tumor in his brain which allows him to see a demon (which is disguised as a human traveler). The tumor also causes crippling headaches for which he was self-medicating. This self-medicating led to driving while intoxicated. The demon traveller (who is possibly the Horseman of Disease) is traveling to New York as well. He has to defeat this demon.

In case it isn't obvious, symbolically the Horseman is a personification of the protagonist's inner demons. The protagonist will resolve his psychological issues as he defeats this creature.

I'm not sure how to handle the initial encounter between the demon and the protagonist. Any suggestions?

2. Sammy King

Sammy King New Member

Wow firstly this sounds really cool!
    As for suggestions...

Can other people see the Horseman? Or is it only the protagonist?

I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but it reminds me a little of "Fight Club" where we are lead to believe that Tyler Durden is a real person, until the very end, and we find out that, he is a inner creation. So I'm wondering if you don't interact the Horseman with your protagonist as if he is a real person, someone that only the protagonist can see, but the reader believes is real, until the horseman is defeated...

I hope that makes sense lol..

3. Justin Rocket 2

Justin Rocket 2 Contributor Contributor

I hadn't considered a Fight Club sort of approach. What I had in mind was that other people saw the demon as a person. The protagonist can look beyond the illusion, though. However, the Fight Club thing is a good option.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015