The lovely bones - Alice Sebold

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Kit, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Same here! I wanted this guy to be officially found out by the police and given the death penalty or discovered and destroyed by Susie's family.

True, but a violent death for someone so horrible is much more satisfying.

Hm, I wonder why the writer chose that page. Did he just randomly draw a number?

And the trailer looks fantastic--although if the movie stays true to the book (and let's hope it does) I won't watch her being murdered.

2. olgic

olgic New Member

I tried reading the book and couldn't finish it. I found the writing style too simple and the content shallow.

Regardless of my opinion, I do have a question. It seems that in today's society the majority of us are obsessed with death. Why is that? Why is it that when a book/movie/tv show is created that deals with death we flock to it and deem it amazing, moving and powerful?

Just a thought.

3. roseberryse

roseberryse New Member

because we don't know anything about it. In a society that seems to know so much about everything, death seems to be the one thing that remains foreign. Not saying it's right...but still.

4. olgic

olgic New Member

I agree. But, don't you find that this interest/obsession varies a great deal among different countries in the world. It just seems that here in North America we are more inclined to fawn over the dark and depressing where as in Europe, for example, a book/movie like Lovely Bones would probably not have done as well. This is a vast generalization, I know. Still, I find that (from my experience) people in many parts of the world would find anything with such a dark subject matter revolting, disturbing and uninteresting.

5. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Say morbid curiosity. Maybe because we were all taught about death early on, so we've developed some curious fascination with it.

*shrug*