1. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

The many faces of WF

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Thanshin, Nov 3, 2011.

I have strong feelings against whatever changed in the forums that has transformed the "reply with quote" window into a mess of automatic movements and bizarre reactions to any mouse interaction.

I navigate with no images no styles, for reasons oustide the scope of this rant. Maybe for that reason, when I'm doing a review I must almost type blindly because any attept to scroll, navigate or even undo moves the fricking target to the first character in the edit box. (oh, and the some buttons don't work anymore. I can only bold with Ctrl+B.

However, I've been here long enough to know that the interface will change soon enough, and maybe the next one will be better for me. :)

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...i just hit the 'reply with quote' button and it worked... though when i tried it earlier with another post, it took so long i gave up and used the quick reply instead...

3. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

Well, a few days later, I already hate (HATE!) the fricking autoscroll in the reply textbox.

I've stopped doing long reviews because once I go past the text that fits in the textbox, whenever I touch the mouse it scrolls to some other place in the text and I have to seach where the hell I left the cursor.

Why use a different behaviour than every other app in the web? If I want to scroll, I'll use one of the already existing three or four options I have. I don't need the control to try to guess when I want to go somewhere else in the text, based on how my mouse moves in or out of the editable box.

4. mammamaia

that's what i've been complaining about for weeks now, thansin!... and daniel doesn't seem to have figured out how to stop that yet... it drives me to serious thoughts of violence, but i can't afford to take it out on my blameless laptop... :mad:

HEY!... i just noticed/thought of something!... see that little triangle of lines at the bottom right of the reply box?... just discovered that it's a resizing thingy [ok, so i'm a bit slow at my age!]... and i just resized this... i'm wondering if that will fix our problem...

will try it next time i have a really long post... or...........

maybe....

will just do...

this.......

to see if it...

works...

and it looks like it DOES!...
    now, if i keep
    on writing, without making the box
    longer,
    i wonder if the
    scrolling
    will kick in
    again...

weirdly, it didn't!

so, thansin, whatcha think?... have i solved the mystery?

HAH!... it did start to scroll again... so i think if we keep to the box size and type beyond it, we'll have the problem... and if we resize, we won't... fingers crossed... m

5. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

And Ctrl+Z also loses focus, which is even worse as you can't know what you just undid.

6. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

I think it might well be a bug in the development of that resizing triangle which caused the entire problem.

Also, I don't browse with images, so I can't use the resize control..

I'll just stop reviewing (the activity where I really need a stable textbox) until it's solved.

7. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Technical problems like these, if they are with the site, can only be addressed by Daniel, and sadly not by myself or Cogito. Have you send Daniel a PM detailing the problem Thanshin, to make sure he definitely knows about it? If not, I'd definitely suggest it.

I would say, that I'm not experiencing the same problems. What browser/OS are you using?

8. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

XP pro/ie7 (not an option, at work.) I'll try at home to see how it goes and message Daniel with the full info.

9. mammamaia

thansin...

the triangle only resizes the posting box, not images... and i don't use images, only text, so i don't know what you meant about that...

all you have to do is click on that little triangle at the bottom right corner of the quick reply box and hold/drag to make the box longer... then it stops the auto-scroll problem...

10. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

When I disable Images (always except for the previous test), I don't see the triangle.

11. mammamaia

ok, so then why not enable the images?

12. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I use Firefox and have none of these issues. I also use Windows 7.

13. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Ditto with Chrome and Windows 7.

14. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

I have chrome and I have been experiencing some difficulties with loading and logging in on here. Any more I have to type all of my account info in twice just to be logged in.. because it pops up indirect url or something of that sort.

15. mammamaia

i haven't had any trouble with the auto-scroll since i enlarged my quick reply window...