1. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

When are you as most inspired to write (time, location and atmosphere)?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Komposten, Jan 8, 2013.

Each day has 24 hours, which all of us spend differently.
    So, which of these 24 hours do you find the most inspiration for writing, and in which atmosphere do like to sit/lie/stand (e.g. a dark quiet room, on a full train, or maybe at the dinner table)?
    Are you one of those who love to sit in a dark room at midnight with only your desk lamp for illumination, clattering away on your computer keyboard?
    Or maybe you get out of bed at 6 am and rush to your computer/pen, still in your pyjamas, with ruffled hair.

Pray tell!

2. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

So, for good measure, I'm going to tell a little about myself.

I write whenever I find the time to do it and really feels like doing it. As I'm full-time studying this means that I'm quite short of time on which I actually sit down and write (a lot of time goes to game programming).
    When I do write, however, I prefer to sit in my room, any time of day (I've not found the perfect time yet), with my desk lamp for illumination. I also want it to be quiet or have some calm/beautiful/fantastic instrumental music playing.
    Sometimes it is also good to have someone to chat with over Steam or Skype (not voice-chat).

3. PlotDeviceManager

PlotDeviceManager New Member

Whatever hour I am farthest from my darned computer!

No, I have always felt most inspired late into the night, but my best writing happens while I'm working (work at home 9-3). My best ideas however, come when I am in the car driving around (which is what I do for fun).

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

literally any time, anywhere... 24/7... which is why i keep a notepad and pen on my bed, even next to my computer, and 3-6' across my tiny LR/DR/office, next to the rocker and recliner, where i sit during the few hours a day when i'm not at the computer...

i've written in cars, on ships, trains, planes and buses; in train/bus stations, airports, bars, restaurants, bathrooms and doctors' waiting rooms all over the world... when i can't write any more, it'll be time for me to cut out...

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I used to get up very early in the morning (about 4:30am). This would give me a good, solid three to four hours of blessed silence before anyone else in the house got up. I could write and watch the dawn every day, and that was wonderful. I have to get back into that habit.

These days, though, I'm often busy late into the evening, and I can't get up that early without sacrificing too much sleep, so I do most of my writing in the afternoon.

6. Talmay

Talmay Member

Something about the hustle and bustle of my work environment get the ideas flowing. Which is kind of a bummer, since I can't actually take a moment to stop and write it down.

7. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Any time I can find the time. That's why I like taking note pads where I go. I can fill those up quicker sometimes
    than a half hour spent at my computer.

8. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Well, I feel more energized in the morning, specifically around 9am to 11am, if that counts.

9. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I don't mean this to sound sarcastic with this but the only answer I can give is: when I'm most awake.

10. patrickgoggles

patrickgoggles New Member

Usually I get inspired while driving. By the time I get home, the story is all mapped out in my head. So much so that I generally never write them down.
    (Did you know that blood on pavement almost glows under headlights? Freaked me out the first time I saw it at night, thought it was ghost blood.)

11. Cannoli

Cannoli New Member

It's not so much as the time or the location for me. If I were to be in school and am bored out of my mind again, my thoughts always wander off to wherever. It is mostly the atmosphere. When I'm watching a good movie (doens't have to be fantasy based at all, although it's the genre I prefer to write), when I'm listening to music or even when playing a game, it might happen to inspire me suddenly and I get the urge to write down what is on my mind.

12. Khaelmin

Khaelmin Active Member

When I'm at work, usually when I have low priority tasks. There's nothing sweeter than knowing I'm wasting company money. And writing at work is damn efficient too. I usually manage to cram out three thousand words in about 4-6 hours. Not to mention that typing away in a Word document all day makes everyone believe you're working really hard. Oh, the irony.

I usually can't write at home. When I get home at six or seven in the evenings I'm too tired to focus properly. I either go out for a drink with my girlfriend and friends or waste the evening away by playing video games. As would be expected, alcohol does me no favors with the actual writing, but it sure gives me a lot of ideas. Whiskey, the Great Muse, ha!

13. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

Late at night. When I'm about to fall asleep I get lots of ideas. In my head I write full poems and rough up complete stories.
    Too bad it's all gone when I wake up.

14. UncoveredBooks

UncoveredBooks Banned

Very late at night or very early on Saturday mornings.

15. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Also, three-four cups of coffee early in the morning seems to get my creative juices flowing. Now 1K into a short story.

<--- Just had three cups of coffee.

16. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

Not a specific time in the day. What inspires me to write is music. And not just the music itself, but the memories associated with any given song. Like for example I thought pumping up Abba would push me to write this romance novella I'm writing, but it didn't. Though I played this one Linkin Park song that I listened to a lot in a particularly emotional part of my "love life" and I haven't been able to take my hands out of the keyboard.

17. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I am most inspired when I don't have the time and am busy doing something else.

18. bmacd

bmacd Member

I'm most inspired by music and good books. But if I had to pick a time, between 11pm-1am and very early in the morning.

19. Green

Green Banned

I am most inspired by writing when I'm trying to sleep, I never write them down and they go back to wherever they came from.

20. Soodanim

Soodanim New Member

Usually just before I fall asleep.

I have a sleep disorder which makes dreaming pretty rare for me. For some reason, my mind tends to be most active in the moments just before sleep. And once I get the bug, I can't let it go and it just keeps me awake until I sit down and write it out.

I also try to take a 30-60 minute walk every day. I find that walking really helps me work on my stories. Gets the blood flowing and all that. So often I will get home from a walk and have a bunch of inspiration to help motivate me.

21. XIII

XIII Member

In the middle of the night, mostly. I'm not sure if I have insomnia or it's just a phase but I always tend to stay up all night, staring at my computer in the dark with wide eyes as I rock back and forth, thinking, thinking , thinking... I don't get inspiration from much, and when I do it has to get down on paper right then and there before the idea is gone. I also sleep all day when I can, because I really do hate daytime; it hurts my eyes.

22. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Wherever and whenever. I've learned to be creative on demand.

23. haribol

haribol New Member

In fact as a writer I want total privacy, independence and my domain must not be raided by anybody. I want to be manifest and be totally and spaciously present and when I have full space and be totally present I can write more creatively and resourcefully

24. Pea

Pea super pea!

I get inspired late in the morning, coincidentally at the same time I open up a blank page and get out my pen. :)

25. horsewriter

horsewriter New Member

Same here! Thats why I try to keep a notebook and pen close to my bed at night! lol