1. amber leaf

amber leaf New Member

Help with removing my writing from another website please

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by amber leaf, Jul 11, 2012.

Hi,

Up until yesterday, I was a member on another site.

I have stories and poems on there that I can't access and I was wondering if anyone knew any way for me to get the work deleted?

The owner has barred me over a disagreement involving a religious debate. My friend tried to register on the forum after me to to post some of his own work and to ask the owner to delete my work and but he barred him too.

Does anyone know if a site has the right to keep your work but not allow you access to it?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes. You posted your work voluntarily. Unless specifically stated otherwise, you are not guaranteed the option of rescindiong that decision.

This site specifically notifies you (in the site rules) that your decision to post is not revocable by you alone. It is implicit elsewhere - we state it explicitly so there is no basis for misunderstandings, as everyone is expected to have read the site rules.

It is a basic fact of the Internet that once something has been posted, you can never be sure it will go away, even if you are given the option of deleting it. Copies can pop up when and where you least expect.

3. amber leaf

amber leaf New Member

Hmm... That's not really that good. Their workshop says that work will be deleted after 45 days but this hasn't been the case with some of my work. It also says that work posted on that section is to complete first rights but how can I do that if I can't access it? Do you offer the same thing on this site?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No. As I said, even if your work is deleted, either by you or by a timed deletion, there is never a guarantee that your work is really gone, because what can be read can be archived without your knowledge or consent.

We don't make any pretense that the work is posted "temporarily." We tell you straight out - don't post it if you intend to submit it somewhere later. Instead, post practice pieces. Critique is aimed at improving your writing overall, not one particular piece of writing. If you can't carry what you learn to the rest of your writing, it won't do you any good anyway.

The lesson is this: Never post anything you plan to publish.

5. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I'd put it down to experience and forget it. Your work is floating about somewhere out there and it is doubtful, because of that, you would be able to get it published by a bona fide publishing house anyway.

I learned my lesson, I have a story on a site that I wish I had not sent in, I could kick myself, but what is the use.

I agree with Cogito 'Never post anything you plan to publish'

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sorry to say, all of that is true... consider it a lesson learned and keep on turning out new work... but never post more than a brief excerpt, if you hope to ever have it published...