Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

The Mona Lisa Painting

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by cutecat22, Oct 29, 2014.

This came up in another thread and as I like discussion that makes me think (I'm nosey for other people's point of view) I thought I'd create this thread.

So, what do you think of the Mona Lisa?

Is it really a self portrait as Leonardo daVinci was thought to be homosexual? (he was allegedly in a relationship with the man he used as a model for his picture of John the Baptist)

Are there really letters and numbers secretly hidden under the bridge in the background or in her eyes? (and if they are there, why are they not written backwards? daVinci was famous for writing everything backwards, something he did to confuse people who would otherwise steal his ideas.)

Is the background off kilter? Is one side of the landscape really lower than the other or is it simply that the main subject matter hides a waterfall or a bend in the river that would otherwise explain the difference/perspective?

What's underneath the painting?

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

What? Where did you get that idea?

I always liked the painting. It's far from my favourite of the period, but who can deny it as a work of genius?

3. cutecat22

4. Lemex

That's an interesting theory, but I can't agree with it. Da Vinci had already drawn a self-portrait, to depict himself in an idealized way as that of the Mona Lisa doesn't really make sense to me. It just wasn't really his style.

cutecat22 likes this.
  5. cutecat22

One thing I do know, is that he was way way way ahead of his time with some of the inventions he came up with.

He was more than just an artist.

6. Lemex

He was a supreme genius. Who else could not only draw something like the Vitruvian man, who else would? It must be said his design for a helicopter would never have worked, but still it is amazing he was even thinking about it.

I don't know if there is any reason for the background of the Mona Lisa being both extreme and somewhat distorted, but when you look at the painting focusing on her face it has a really odd effect. It's captivating in a way that doesn't quite make sense. It's only when you look closer do you notice how out of sync the entire image is. That in itself could be meaningful, and I don't know of any specific meaning in the details of the background - art was never my subject - but he had some serious painting chops.

7. cutecat22

Almost like he was starting his own fashion trend?

His inventions are terrific until you actually put them together and find that they don't always work. There was a programme recently on one of the discovery channels called "Doing Da Vinci" where a team of designers and builders actually built his machines. I only caught a couple of the progs but they were fascinating.

I personally think that the background of the Mona Lisa is the way it is so that you are made to focus in on the main subject which, in DaVinci's day, they would have. It's only as people have progressed onto conspiracy theories that everything nowadays has to have a story behind it.

Did you ever see The Joy Of Painting with Bob Ross? He chats away while he paints these wonderful scenic pictures and much of his dialogue is along the lines of "OK, we're gonna use a little Prussian blue here mixed with a burnt orange and we're gonna put here a little house, now in your world, maybe the house sits over there but in my world, it's gonna sit here ..."

Maybe LDV did the same with the bridge ...

8. karmazon

karmazon Member

It's a good painting. Its popularity really comes from the fact that its theft was so heavily publicized. Before that it was just a small portrait of a renaissance master. An interesting thing is that they found a copy of the painting made by Da Vinci's student, so you can see what it (probably) looked like when it was fresh. Mona Lisa did have eyebrows.

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2012/02/02/1226260/451896-mona-lisa.jpg

cutecat22 likes this.
  9. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

The fading background is a pretty interesting technique that's been used by other painters. I don't know if he was the first person to do that though. It's a good painting IMO, but it's not even close to being the best painting from that time period. Just my opinion of course.

karmazon likes this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

There's a book called "Venus with pistol" where part of the plot centres around an alleged Giorgone painting which includes a wheel-lock pistol...but the first one dates from after Giorgone's death...but one of LDV's inventions was a wheel-lock pistol, which Giorgone MIGHT have seen...

cutecat22 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.