The most cliche story premises.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mr Sci Fi, May 5, 2008.

1. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

No such thing! A thread is subject to talkery of all sorts.

Personally, I've wasted hours of my life reading up on these sorts of things at TV Tropes- a site for the pop culturally endowed that catalogues and records every cliche, trope, and archive. I dare you to spend five minutes there without working up a tab trail that stretches halfway across your screen.

Here's one that bugs me: In a summer blockbuster, you can make the female character feisty, you can give her a job like a mechanic or a bartender, and you can give her any number of witty lines- but by the end of the movie, she will still be the damsel in distress. Joss Whedon's pretty much the only guy I know who can steer clear of this.

Also, in books, the 'bizarre bazaar'- a sort of gathering or marketplace, chockful of gypsies, unicorns, magical trinkets, wands, etcetera. JK Rowling did this. So did Neil Gaiman. Terry Pratchett's done it with his witches. It doesn't always bug me, it's just that some do it right...and some don't.

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I went there and ended up with pages full of tabs. Eventually, I'll go back and read up on them.

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I like Cliche's to an extent. You have to love the classic plot ideas and story devices. They're like the Beetles. They never get old :D!