Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

The most obscure Religion?

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Duchess-Yukine-Suoh, Feb 13, 2014.

Most of you know about two pretty....crazy....religions, the Church of Scientology, and the WBC. Well, I am about to introduce to you a very obscure religion. It is called "The Path of Serenitism", usually called "Serenitism". It is a crazzzzyyyyyy religion.

But here's the catch.

This religion that seems so false and so crazy is a very kind, peaceful, religion, that places an emphasis on friendship, kindness, peace, and "inner light".

Now, I'm a Catholic, but out of all the religions I don't belong to, this one is my favorite, and I felt it was worth sharing how something we may dismiss as "laughable" is pretty amazing. And it's non hateful, unlike the WBC.

First of all, why would someone think Serenitism is crazy in the first place? For starters, Serenitists believe that a manga/anime from the 90's is their sacred document. Yep. They also use the "Serenitean Codes" as a model for behavior. In addition, they use wands and rituals as a way to gain peace and guidance. They believe that any day now, a Moon Princess/Queen (really more of a Goddess) will come to Earth and she will set up a utopia.

So, why do I think that their religion is actually pretty neat? They believe in peace, respect, and kindness. They are more Christian than the WBC; Instead of picketing funerals, they try to be friends with people. So, they make wands and do rituals, but the wands can be as simple as something that means something to you, and the rituals are just calling upon Queen Serenity or the guardians for help and healing, peace and guidance. Their true holiday " Nova Luna" (June 30th) is celebrated by making friends, making/going out for a meal with your family/friends, and spreading the word about their religion (but without being overbearing, respect is important!) The Serenitean Code is very simple, and just about respect and kindness. They believe that there is no truly sacred place, other than your own heart.

My point? Things can surprise you. I thought these people were crazy when I learned about it on tvtropes.org, until I checked it out. And no matter what our religion (except maybe the WBC) we can all be tolerant and live in hope and kindness. Maybe one day even the WBC will realize the error of their ways!

For those of you who were interested, here is the full Serenitean code:
    http://serenitism.webs.com/thesereniteancodes.htm

2. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Sounds ideal, but you should check out the religion called the Shakers. They were started by a woman to create a type Utopian society where everyone was equal and they followed the very letter of the Bible. Not only did they believe that men and women were equals, but sex was forbidden. Yes, forbidden. That was their down fall, if they didn't reproduce then they slowly died off without recruiting new members. I don't think they exist anymore, but they sure did make some good furniture. And yes, I'm sure you are thinking it, they were named the Shakers because they believed when they got the spirit of the Lord in them they began to shake.

3. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

I didn't say it was ideal, but yeah, I know about the Shakers. Isn't there only 3 members left?

Serenitism was invented by young adults, and the s word isn't forbidden, but I doubt it'll become mainstream and will probably die out with their website and Facebook page.

4. the1

the1 Active Member

How many adherents are there practicing Serenitism?

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

My religion is the most obscure. It has no name. I have no need to convince anyone else. I am secure in my beliefs, and don't need crowd approval to bolster my faith.

Lea`Brooks likes this.
  6. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

I don't have a lot to go on here, and I would say around a hundred, but it could be as little as 20 and it could even be like 150-200.

7. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

By obscure, I meant lesser known and odd-sounding.

8. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

I revived this thread with the new knowlege that Serenties (followers of this religion) believe that people once inhabited the moon and will inhabit there again when their Queen/Princess/Goddess comes.

*waits for new religious fight to start*

9. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributing Member Contributor

I pick up your gauntlet (I hope this was your intention).

Friendship, kindness, peace and respect are all human qualities that atheists believe in and do not require any belief in any gods in order to practice or experience (as is pretty much the case with everything in The Serenitean Codes). So you could legitimately refer to these qualities as 'atheist values'.

If a religion can only be thought of as being good because it's central tenants are atheist in nature then you might call into question just how religious it actually is. But I'm sure it would be better than promoting hate.

Living on the moon is of course physically impossible (unless it's by means of a NASA program). But claiming things that are physically impossible hasn't stopped religions in the past.

My basic argument is; apart from a few wacky ideas, what you basically have here is a definition of common decency which, on the whole, I think is a good definition.

10. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

You could, but calling Serenities "atheist in nature" is, I would think, pretty offensive to them (are there any Serenities on this forum?) because they are not atheists, they are Serenities. Yes, the Serenitean Codes are all about friendship, kindness, peace, and respect, but they still, to Serenities, come from a divine source. Theoretically, you could follow the codes without believing their Moon Princess/Queen will come and set up a utopia and you have a little piece of divinity within you, but then you're not really a Serenity. You could follow the Bible to the letter, but unless you believe in God and Jesus as your savior, you're not really Jewish/Christian then.

11. Aled James Taylor

I don't think it would be offensive to claim that atheists would also believe in the values they promote.

The idea of an inner divinity is appealing and this could just be figurative language. But I think the existence and application of such a quality would not depend on what you believed. If anything adhering rigidly to any ideology would, if anything, suffocate and destroy this inner quality and its guidance.

So any 'code' would be no more than a broad outline and the central tenant would be; 'be true to yourself' since the inner divinity would be that which guides you.

12. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

But they are not atheists. Serenitism is stated to be a "monotheistic religion". They believe in their one savior, the Moon Queen/Princess/Goddess.

13. Aled James Taylor

I'm not saying they are atheists. Only that an atheist reading their code might say to themselves, "I believe these things too". The issue of the Moon Queen/Princess/Goddess is a separate issue and is undoubtedly religious.

14. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Oh, OK, that makes more sense.

15. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

These days, there are many benefits in calling yourself a religion/church. From various tax exemptions, to allowances for weird and even inappropriate behaviour, all under the umbrella of freedom of religion. This particular benefit has enabled one of the biggest religions to foster and enable paedophiles to attack thousands of children each year, without any consequences whatsoever. Being a religion, in many ways, gives you a 'carte blanche' to do pretty much anything your heart desires, and when that heart is evil, we have a big problem.

Another issue with these new religions is an inevitable emergence of a charismatic 'cult' leader. So, while ethos of behaviour they promote initially is no different from what a lot of mothers teach their children, including atheist mothers, you will probably find that once you're 'in' the teachings escalate into something quite the opposite. What I'm trying to say is, group identification with some new 'higher power' (no matter how tongue in cheek or ridiculous it may) enables them to do a whole lot of very profitable things. Admittedly, this is no different from most major religions, and it's perhaps holding a mirror to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.