1. architectus

architectus Banned

The most words you've written in one day?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by architectus, Jan 16, 2009.

I wrote 7,000 words yesterday finishing the first draft of my second novel. However, my record is somewhere around 20,000 words in one day.

What are your records? And it has to be for writing a short story or a novel, not journals, articles, diaries, or anything else. :p

2. Corpsetastic

Corpsetastic Senior Member

I haven't managed barely anything for months, i need to get out of it! I do remember a couple of years ago i was on fire, i think i was actually on holiday in lanzarote at the time and i managed something like 5000 words-ish in one sitting :D

3. lordofhats

lordofhats Contributing Member

I think my personal best is about 17000 words on a saturday. Yeah, I was on a roll :p. Normally I only put out 2000-4000. Maybe 8000 if I'm really going and into it.

4. architectus

architectus Banned

Lordofhats, my usual is also around 2000-4000, actually more like 2000-3000.

5. Jack

Jack Contributing Member

Considering that I am a script writer... My Record: 2 individual scripts in one day. (One of them had 2 acts, and the other script had 4 acts, which both consists of many scenes).

I must say that I was indeed impressed with myself of what I've accomplished in a day! (Close to 7 000 words)
    I was inspired by a movie (I can't remember which one)

6. Sunset Sailor

Sunset Sailor Member

Wow. What do you do with all of that writing? Are y'all published? Do you sell your scripts?

7. architectus

architectus Banned

Sunset, I do it for practice. The more I write the better I become.

I have only sent out three short stories to paying markets. One told me they liked my story, but that it was not exactly what they were looking for, and they encouraged me to keep sending it to other magazines. I figured that was a better response than the other two, which said, we are choosing to not publish your story at this time.

I sent a micro-story to flashshot (none paying, but they have an editor that chooses stories) and they accepted my story. It will be on the home page on the 18th. I can't seem to find any magazines that pay for mirco-fiction (100 words or less). Anyone know of any?

8. Jack

Jack Contributing Member

I am currently a student...
    Some of my scripts will be posted here. I might even sell my 'longer' scripts (Depending on the length). I am currently gathering up all of my scripts because when I finish school (College/University) I'd have something to refer to as. I'd probably work for Hollywood! (just kidding) I'd work for some minor companies. But you'd never know... perhaps I will be selling scripts to Hollywood. (It will take a long time to get there, but that is my dream). Anyway, I mainly write about drama, Situation comedy, or some other random ones.

9. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributing Member Contributor

My record's about 6,000. Not that many, but enough to polish off a chapter in a day a couple of years ago.

10. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributing Member Contributor

Eh.. 6000 words is porbably my best...

20000?:eek:

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

imo, in re writing, it's never quantity that counts, only quality... so bragging about how much one can write in any period of time never impresses me... now, if all of those tens of thousands of words comprised writing of nobel literature prize quality, then i'd be impressed!

i'd also be impressed if someone said how much s/he could write on an ongoing basis, every bit of which was good enough to be published... and i'd be more impressed with a few words that were all top quality, than reams of writing that has to be corrected/improved...

12. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 Contributing Member

honestly the most I have ever done is about 3000 in one day.

Someone told me not too long ago that the best writer's only put out about 2,000 - 3,000 words of cohesive story a day.

That could have been just to make me feel better though

Edit: Maia just happens to be the one who told me that. She beat me to the post lol.

13. Jack

Jack Contributing Member

What about scripts Mammamai?

Scripts are suppose to be lengthy, with short and simple words.

In regards to the "action" part (Or description of the Scene), it would most likely fall under the 'quality' category. But for the main diologue -- Quantity --.

14. Prestige

Prestige New Member

On a great weekend day I'll pump out 5000-6000 words, but that only comes after ridiculous amounts of preparation and planning. The hardest part, for me, is creating the plot for the story and planning out the basic format of my chapters. Once I understand that much and what direction my characters are going to be going, I can write 3000+ unedited words easily.

It takes effort though. One solid day, for me, consists of waking up at 8 on saturday, getting a cup of coffee, and writing until the wee hours of the night. And that's when I can finish a chapter or two and go back over them again and again. Shoot for at least half a chapter in one sitting. Normally that's a good goal to aim for. And, depending on the desired length of your story, that could mean 1500 or maybe even 3000 words.

So it can definitely vary.

15. ozymandias

ozymandias Member

The most would be about 4,000. Mostly I write in bursts of 1,000-2,000 words.

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm with Maia on this. I don't really see how this is a Writing Issue so much as a - umm spitting contest.

17. tehuti88

tehuti88 Contributing Member

I knew somebody would come in and carp that it's about "quality and not quantity." Sometimes people are honestly just curious to know. Notice nobody here is claiming that they wrote pure gold when they were writing that fast? The question is about QUANTITY, not quality, so to say that quantity doesn't count when that's what the OP was asking about is kind of silly.

Besides, quantity DOES count for something, especially when one needs to practice, practice, practice--quantity counts when you decide to keep writing and keep writing, even if the words aren't pure gold at first. You don't achieve quality by writing a tiny quantity. And novels have a minimum word count for a reason. Quantity counts if you want to get published.

Quantity AND quality matter. Both of them.

To answer the question (which I wasn't going to answer until I saw the quantity vs. quality comments), I really don't know what the most I wrote in a day is. Probably only around 5-7000 words. I didn't keep track of wordcounts back when I wrote as much in a day as I wanted, and now that I keep track of how much I write, I limit myself. I did pound out an approximately 10,000-word novella (I think) in two days once but that's about it. I can't focus for such extended periods. I also focus on achieving quality in my first drafts, not just quantity, but I wouldn't turn up my nose at somebody who goes for quantity as well. We HAVE to write a lot if we want to improve.

1 person likes this.
  18. sorites

sorites Senior Member

Writing more is better than writing less.

Writing is an act of doing. If you don't write or if you write very little, you won't get much better than you already are and you won't be moving toward your goal (of finishing your story, novel, etc.).

The more you write, the better you will inevitably become because practice makes perfect. Also, writing is a process. I never produce something on my first draft that is perfect, but lack of perfection should not stop me from trying. If I write 3000 words and it shrinks to 1500 in editing/rewriting, that's fine. Was it a waste of time to write the 3000 in the first place? No, because that bulk helped me get to where I was going.

It's not a question of 'Write Well' vs. 'Write Lots'. It's a question of 'Write Lots' vs. 'Write Little'. As with anything that takes work, the more you do it, the better you get.

Sometimes, when I don't know what to write, I just spew words onto the page. It ends up being crap most of the time, but it's better than sitting and staring at the blank page because I'm too afraid to write poorly. Sometimes those upchuck sessions produce a kernel that can grow into something worthwhile, but I would have never gotten it onto the page unless I wrote.

Write, write, write. My personal record is not much. Maybe 1500-2000 words in a day. Most of time, it's more like 500. It's hard to write fiction, even when the idea is in my head. I end up rereading and editing a lot as I go, which does not help me move forward. Writing 5000+ words in a day is an impressive accomplishment in my eyes because that's a lot of writing! Of course, that writer surely isn't done. Going back, editing, and rewriting are as much a part of the process as anything.

19. sorites

sorites Senior Member

I guess tehuti88 had the same idea, but she's faster on the submit-click. Curses! ;)

20. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

I do my creative work in longhand for the first draft, so I have no idea of word count. Once I churned out 15 pages in one sitting at a local truck stop. Three to six pages of solid, usable content is an average day. Some days I'm thrilled to get one page of non-crap.

Sorry, Sorties, but I'd rather turn out three pages of decent stuff than 15 pages of crap.
    If I'm working along and notice I am putting crap on the page, I take that as a sign its time to wrap it up for the day.

21. sorites

sorites Senior Member

I'd rather put out decent stuff than crap too. I think you missed the point. Writing is exercise and even if you are producing crap, you will ultimately be a better writer for it in the long run. And if you've been working and your writing turns from good to crap, then maybe it is time to wrap it up for the day. But if you've just sat down at the keyboard and are struggling, you should realize that writing is a struggle and try to put out something rather than nothing. Like tehuti88 said, it's about quantity and quality both. You don't get quality without working at it, which means you have to write.

22. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

I'd rather produce tons of crap, and learn from it, than to write something carefully enough that I would consider it gold.

Of course, I'm known for not practicing what I preach.

23. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you're mixing apples and oranges... first, scripts aren't lengthy, compared to novels... the current max is 110 pages and those pages have lots of white space, so the word count per page is far below that of a novel ms' 250...

next, we're not discussing how many words are on a page, but how many words people write in a day... and what i said still applies to either the dialog or the action elements of a script... either of which, by the way, can have less quality than the other, if written only for speed, not worth...

and either can consist of more 'quantity' than the other, depending on the genre of the screenplay... action films, for instance, have far less dialog and take up more page space in the action/description element than a character-driven one might...

but this still doesn't have anything to do with how many words one can/does write in one day... to relate scripts to the question one only has to say how many words of a script one writes in that period, so what element those wordsa are in is irrelevant... and a lot of badly-written words is still a waste of time, imo, compared to far fewer well-written ones...

24. NaCl

NaCl Contributing Member Contributor

There is an old saying, "Practice makes perfect." It's NOT true.

One of my old coaches used to say "Practice only makes permanent." And if you repeat mistakes over and over, you reinforce the wrong behavior. So, as he would say, take time to get it right with every repetition and "Right will become permanent." Writing "tons of crap" doesn't make sense to me, but if it works for you, I guess you're one of the exceptions.

25. architectus

architectus Banned

Naci, that is a good point. But you must first write crap in order for someone to point out the mistakes.

Writing something beautiful that wins many awards will not necessarily mean that many people will read and enjoy your novel. It does not necessarily mean you will sell a lot of copies. Dean Koontz had to write a novel a month or more when he first started just to make a living. In his case quantity was more important than quality.

But he is also a bestselling author now making loads of cash. He still writes quantity over quality.

To my knowledge Koontz has not won any prestigious awards. Maybe sometime he will try to write a masterpiece worthy of a Hugo or something.

I would rather have a huge fan base than to win a few prestigious awards. But to do both, now that would be something.