The Music Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

There just is far to much Metallica greatness to ever mention. :D

I love nothing else matters live

You'll have to report in and tell me if Metallica play the unforgiven live. I dont think (well up until recently) they have ever played the unforgiven live. I like Un/2 as well!

Man i iwsh they'd tour Australia just one more time

2. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I shall :D

I prolly wont shut up about them for weeks after haha.

Have you heard Unforgiven III? I love that one aswell. Oohh, they're so fabulous.

I've always wanted to see the band Ramstein live. I love them!

3. Speedy

I have heard Unforgiven III, and dont mind it, but im older now and when i heard I and II i was a teenager and it ment more (thats music for you!) but i still dontm ind it

I saw Ramstien in 97 (yes, shows my age) and back in 20001 i think (the later was a concert, rathe rthen a festivsl)

I like them at the time, now i listen to them and go.....oookay

Listen to another cool German band (if you dont already). Their called Heaven Shall Burn (dont take the name into account, their not anti0 christian or anything, just german lol) There pretty darn fine

4. Speedy

actually, i think HSB is pollish, which is a bad mistake on my behalf

5. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Lol cool I shall check them out ;)

Right im off for a while I think

Byeskies! x

6. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

I just got 12 Megadeth albums today. They're pretty good.

7. Speedy

WHAT, you didnt have 12 megadeth albums already, SHAME on you!

Note - you rule

8. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

Ah Megadeth...that takes me back

9. Speedy

for me Symphony of Destruction ftw.

10. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

I'm currently listening My Business is Killing (And Business is Good), and I really like it. I'm more of a classical/instrumental person but they're pretty good for inspiration and helping me brainstorm.

11. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

And I love you for loving Rammstein. They really make some fabulous music, and they put on a great show. (Never seen 'em, but I've seen videos. :( ) ...However, when I look up translations to English, I have to admit some of the lyrics are a little... "eh, what?" :p

I'm the queen of foreign languages. I've got lots of German bands, popular and not, because my cousin is also a metalhead and moved to Germany recently.
    I love Spanish; La Oreja de Van Gogh is pretty good, as is Ricardo Arjona (love him, especially "La Nena Bitacora de un Secuetro" --"The Baby of a Kidnapping" as a rough translation). I have a lot of Spanish artists as well; my dad and I both speak fluent (well, almost fluent; I've been studying for four years, and he majored in the subject at univesity) Spanish, and it is often the dominant language in our household --even though both Mom and Grandad dont speak a word of it.
    Anyone from Finland is fabulous. Nightwish, Children of Bodom, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica (I think is from Finland), HIM... the list goes on; love the metal scene in Finland.
    I Adapt is a band that I believe is from Iceland, and they aren't bad either. :)

I even have some really dorky languages; Elvish and Klingon... :p

Love foreign languages; at one point in my life I wanted to be an interpreter, but I've barely mastered Spanish after four years of advanced study and speaking it at home; I cant imagine learning any others (besides Italian, which I can already --sort of-- speak because of its similarities to Spanish). Lyrics have always been secondary to music, in my opinion, and when it's in a language that I dont understand, it's much easier to focus on the music --at least to me.

As for Metallica? Hmm. I do love their work, but I'm not a big fan of their latest CD like many others. Then again, I havent really given it as much chance as I could. The songs I have heard didnt "WOW" me, however.

Anyone know of Ayreon? Love Ayreon... It was formed by Arjen Lucassen, and it's sort of a side project; they never go on tour, because Ayreon is a group of musicians from other established bands that come and go. Ayreon has had probably 20 vocalists, 10 guitarists... But the music is always fantastical. Check 'em out, especially the track "Day Three: Pain."

12. Speedy

13. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

Rammstein is great, but, I dont look up the translations, because the song is in German, so i keep it that way, i'm curious on what they mean, but i fight temptation :p

14. Speedy

lol, best not looking (though im sure there are a few goodo nes)

I used to LOVE their video's though. Action packed!, well cool at least anyway.

15. Anđeo.čuvar

Anđeo.čuvar New Member

Love Bodom, though really I'm just very much a fan of Alexi's style. Not too into nothing but screaming; which is what Bodom's songs sometimes seem to be. (Sorry to jump in on the discussion like this, hello there.)

Anyone else into metal interpretations of classical music? I dig it.

16. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

I love Metal, but not ****ty Metal. I've been told I've got somewhat unorthodox taste, and maybe it is true - can't stand any of that Machine Head/Slipknot/Killswitch Engage stuff, and I don't like any Nevermore, Evergrey, et cetera, either. I love classic 80s Heavy/Power/Thrash metal, a lot of underground "occult" sounding Death Metal, and just anything particularly inspiring and cool. My favorite band is Slough Feg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TN5zyN4FK0

Ayreon are alright, only really heard The Human Equation. And Children of Bodom used to be very good.

Currently listening to Scorpions - Humanity: Hour I. I've been listening to Kamelot, The Chasm, Vicious Rumors and Root lately.

17. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I found this quote the other day, and I loveeddd it.

18. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Here's something that I've been thinking of for a while. How many songs do you have to like from an artist or band before you can say that you like the artist/band? I mean, just liking one song doesn't really mean you like the band. So, what do you think?

19. antius777

antius777 New Member

My buddy and I have decide that the magic number is THREE. Back in the day when we actually bought CD's, we decided that we had to hear and like 3 songs by an artist before we would risk purchasing an album.

It's weird... each of my novels have kind of had their own soundtracks. I'll find a band or two and listen to nothing else while actually writing the book. While my first was penned over a number of years and didn't follow this, my second was written to nothing but the post-rock group 65DaysOfStatic. An instrumental and somewhat industrial outfit, their music fit perfectly with the tale.

My third book was written to the sounds of the dirty & sexy alt-country band Murder By Death. It captured the bleak feeling of the novel and kept me inspired. My fourth book was was split back & forth between Type O Negative and Apocalyptica. A dark and bloody book, the music just seemed appropriate.

Although I've got a complete 44 chapter outline done for my fifth book, I haven't started it yet. I think it's because I haven't found the right soundscape yet...

20. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Ayreon's one of my favourite bands, and the Human Equation is my favourite album, I love Arjen's work. If you like Ayreon, you might like Neal Morse's work, both with Spock's Beard and his solo projects. His song writing is excellent, with a progressive touch similar to Ayreon..

21. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

Dead Again is one monster of an album; good stuff.

Music isn't some sort of science, at least not in the way you're talking. If you think you like a band, then one song is all it takes. If you think you should hear more before you like them, that is fine too.

22. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

When it comes to music, I don't believe there's really any officially set standards to which you can earn a rubber stamp of approval, it's more if you like something, you like it. If you don't think you're informed enough to be able to say one way or another, then that's perfectly acceptable, too. Personal taste is very adaptable that way - which means the best thing to do is pretty much say what you think.

(On a slightly different tangent, I personally dislike the kind of attitude that sees people thinking that if you haven't heard every last song a band has recorded, you're not worthy of saying you like them, or people that think they're somehow superior just because they heard of a band before you did >_>).

However, generally, if I've only heard one song a band has released, I'll just say that I like that song. Quite often it's enough to get me to purchase an album anyway, and I've not yet been disappointed when buying an album on the strength of one song - which is nice. :)
    It's usually only after a CD purchase that I will move from 'I like that song' to 'I like that band', I guess.

23. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

The vast majority of my purchases come from never having heard a song, rather just having read a review or comparison or even having received a tip-off. Thus, I rarely progress from liking a song into liking a band, and usually approach most albums equally afresh. Unless of course, I'm back-cataloguing in which case I may know the 'hits' and then progress to the albums. In that case it may be wisest to state that you like what you've heard, rather than the artist as a whole for fear of being quizzed on material with which you are not familiar. Or worse, admittance of liking a band, that were good and then were not. Oh to avoid latter day sins! To paraphrase High Fidelity, is it better to fly to close to the sun than to fade away? Sub-question: can a formally great band be forgiven for latter day sins?

24. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I do that too, but generally only if I have gotten to know a reviewer's personal taste. I also occasionally buy albums on the strength of a 'I'm cheap - buy me now!' sticker...if I like the cover, or the song titles. :p It's kind of hit and miss, but I don't mind paying AU$1-5 to hear what a band sounds like once I have been intrigued.

I - at this stage - tentatively issue a "definitely overlooked, but not necessarily forgiven" - later disappointments certainly don't invalidate former greatness, but I suppose it depends on how insistent they become with their current 'lameness'(?) One album that falls below expectations is not so bad, three (or more)... I'd be subtly suggesting retirement and getting overly nostalgiac when listening to their best albums. :p

It's all still really subjective, though - there are always fans who will say about any given band that has released say three or more albums: "I like your old stuff better than your new stuff" and vice versa.

25. antius777

antius777 New Member

HAHAHA!!! "High Fidelity" FTW!

I have been known to check out a band based entirely on the adjectives used to describe them in a review. For instance, although many would find it distasteful, if the word "Pretentious" is used... chances are I'll like the band.