1. Raven

Raven Banned

The new Doctor Who (Revealed Finally)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Jan 3, 2009.

Matt Smith has been confirmed as the new star of Doctor Who.

[​IMG]

The actor will replace current Doctor David Tennant when he quits the show next year.

The BBC revealed the news during a special episode of Doctor Who Confidential and the announcement follows months of speculation about which actor would be stepping into the TARDIS.

Twenty-six-year-old Smith is the youngest actor ever to play the Doctor - Peter Davison previously held that honour after playing the Doctor when he was 29 back in 1981.

Matt Smith will be familiar to some viewers from his roles in political drama Party Animals and BBC One drama Ruby In The Smoke, in which he starred opposite Doctor Who's Billie Piper.

Smith, who was cast in the role at Christmas said: "I've got this wonderful journey in front of me where I've got this six months to build this Time Lord - and that's such an exciting prospect."

David Tennant will play the Doctor in four one-off specials next year before Smith takes over in Spring 2010.

What do you make of the new Doctor?

All Doctor Who fans will be pleased to finally know who will be the next Doctor but will he be up to scratch.

Your thoughts.....

2. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I don't know about him.
    Is he limited only to drama shows as experience?
    He seems fishy and kinda pretty....hmmm.
    I don't know.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I'm more than happy to give him a chance, but he has his work cut out for him filling Tennant's shoes :p

4. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

He looks like a child! Oh I'm going to miss David Tennant, I only started watching it 'cos he's quite nice, Christopher Eggleston was too moody.
    *Sulks*

5. Raven

Raven Banned

remember before judging him all the Doctors carry a different personality and he will have to make the character his own while he plays the Doctor. Tennent was great probably the best to have played the Doctor. But he couldn't play him forever and the Doctor is about change Tennents done 4 christmas specials and three seasons with 4 more specials and another christmas special to follow before spring 2010.

Doctor Who will always be Doctor Who no matter who takes on the role.

And besides its time for a change.

6. Banzai

Agreed. For all we know, he could turn out to be better than Tennant.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Above all, the Doctor needs to have a wild enthusiasm for life, and a sense of humor. Peter Davison's Doctor was a bit too serious and lacking in energy. And Paul McGann was just dreary.

Any change carries risk. Fan's hated Colin Baker, found him tempoeramental and obnoxious. I thought that in a way, he was a refreshing change.

We'll just have to wait and see with The New Guy, Matt Smith. Also, the chemistry he has with his companion will be important.

8. Raven

Raven Banned

I liked Colin Baker.

9. zorell

zorell New Member

I wish i could just get a set schedule for the show:(

My local channels and such play the show seldomly and always around midnight:(

10. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

I'm curious to see how this goes. I quite like the look of him (As the Doctor, of course) and I thing that he could really pull it off.

Besides, if Russell T. Davies says that he's envious of the new head writer because of him, then he must be good. Whatever happens, I'll remain a loyal Whovian. That's more than I can say of my friend Stuart, who is refusing to watch the 2010 series at all.
    Here's to another great series!

That's my two pennies worth, anyway.

11. Banzai

We still have 4 (I think) specials with Tennant this year. He's not going just yet.

12. Xeno

3 Specials. The Next Doctor counts as one. I hope number ten gets a huge send-off! I've met the guy, and he deserves that much.

13. Raven

Raven Banned

No four specials and then the Christmas special which he morphs into the new doctor.

So thats four more one hour specials and then a fifth on on christmas day which is the crossover episode.

The next special is called Planet Of The Dead.

14. Banzai

The last special is gonna be two hours long, so that seems like a huge send off :p

15. Xeno

Holy Sh**! TWO HOURS? Is this like a two parter or one feature-length Program?

16. Raven

Raven Banned

Actually its 1hour and 44 mins. :p

17. Raven

Raven Banned

And Matt Smith doesn't come into the episode until the final 30 seconds. ;)

18. Raven

Raven Banned

Oh and Cap'n Jack Harkness is also in the final tennant episode and one of the specials. ;)

19. Xeno

Okay, Exactly like David Tennant.

And where do you get this info from?
    Does he have a phone number?

20. Raven

Raven Banned

I like Doctor Who and am a fan. And I've never been wring. ;)

Theres food for thought.

Somethings will remain secret aye. ;)

21. March301

March301 New Member

I think he's fine. I had absolutely no idea who Matt Smith was until yesterday and still have not seen a single thing with him in it, but I think Steven Moffat is an incredible writer who's passionate about Doctor Who and they'll find a way to make it work. Also, Matt's interview was cute. He was constantly moving his hands, like he had a lot of energy, which is how I imagine the Doctor to be.

Plus, y'know, evidently whenever there's a new Doctor no one believes he'll be any good. Everyone freaked out over David Tennant, too. ;)

22. dandjurdjevic

dandjurdjevic New Member

I'll admit that I am one who freaked out over David Tennant - but I've become a complete convert since. I now regard him as the best Doctor ever.

Matt Smith looks intense and is probably going to appeal to a younger generation because of his looks. I hope he has the same wild enthusiasm and comic timing that Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant had.

I'm more than prepared to give him a go.

Interesting sidenote:

A couple of years ago I walked into a cafe/bakery here in Perth. I was with my 4 year old daughter. They were playing eerie music reminscent of the Doctor Who theme. I said to the attendant behind the counter: "That sounds just like the theme from Doctor Who."
    "So it does!" she said.
    "You never know," I leaned over conspiratorially, and said sotto voce: "I might even be the Doctor."
    "Really?" She looked at me, eyes wide, eyebrows raised as if I really were a Timelord. Not a hint of irony or humour. To this day I have no idea what was going through her head.
    All I could think of saying was: "Yes. And this is my assistant." I pointed to my little girl who smiled sweetly. "Oh well, back to the Tardis dear - the universe awaits." I paid the gaping attendant and walked out shaking my head - back to our Mitsubishi Magna which, while spacious is not nearly as spacious, stylish, neat, economical or reliable as the Tardis, but there you have it.

23. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I had to laugh at this. When I started watching the Doctor, in the Jon Pertwee years, the stories were all delivered in half-hour segments, running for several weeks apiece. I remember how shocked I was that one Tom Baker story, The Sontaran Experiment, was only two episodes long.

By comparison, the current stories are practically flash fiction.

24. Banzai

I used to watch the Jon Pertwee serials on saturday mornings, when I was little :D He's definitely one of my favourites. And I miss the longer stories, but I do like the series-long story arcs that they run.

25. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I liked Tom Baker best. I discovered Dr. Who when he was The Dr. I could never really see anyone else as The Dr. after him.