The new Doctor Who (Revealed Finally)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Raven

Raven Banned

If were going on the classic adventures I liked Peter Davison and Colin Baker. I also liked Sylvester McCoy and would have loved to have seen more with paul McGann.

The one I didn't think much to was Chris Eccelson. I never liked him and was glad he only did the 13 episodes.

As for the new Doctor. I think he'll be just as good if not better. And unknown actors who are up and coming tend to give their best performances especially when they know a lot of fans will be waiting in anticipation to see them.

But bare in mind sometimes the first episode they appear in is not always one of their best.

2. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

My only problem is to me, and probably only me, Matt Smith looks like he should be playing one of the bad guys in Doctor Who. Not the Doctor.

3. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Omg, take it back ! :p

Ooooh I love him, I prefer Torchwood to Doctor Who actually, but I heard they were only doing one more series of that.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Ugh, Torchwood was just annoying. But then, John Barrowman annoys me. And yeah, there's only one more season to come from them.

5. Heather Louise

Oh, I think he's loverly, John Barrowman. I like the whole, will they won't they thing between him and Gweyn. && everyone having a Welsh accent rocks, Lmao ! I am like, so easily pleased :p

6. Raven

Raven Banned

No Torchwood has been given a full haulover change. Theres quite a few characters joining the cast. for season 3. There actually filming season 3 and 4 together because of Barrowmans other committments he would not have been able to commit this year otherwise. So theres certain two more seasons to come.

7. Heather Louise

oh you've made my day. Do you know if Gweyn is staying in too, as they've killed off almost everyone else haven't they.

8. Raven

Raven Banned

yep the three surviving ones are returning for season three anyhow.

9. Heather Louise

ooooh yey !! :D

10. Raven

Raven Banned

I never struck you as a Who fan Heather or a Torchwood one.

11. Heather Louise

Lmao, I am what they call a secret geek. No-one at school thinks I can speak proper English, let alone write it. :p

12. Raven

Raven Banned

lol.

Well I suspected since you played in three of the rap pack games about a year and a half ago. :p

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't try to hide that beacon under a bushel, Heather! You know why most of the "in" crowd hang together? To present a bold facade, to hide the fact they have no sense of direction or self-assurance.

You don't need to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Don't "dumb it down" for the masses.

14. Heather Louise

Thanks Cogito, but I actually quite like the the fact no-one knows I'm as smart as I am, it gives me the advantage that they aren't expecting anything sensible from me and I throw them off guard.
    && I don't lie as such, I just don't mention it as it isn't really anything my mates are interested in. You won't beleive how much one of them laughed when I told them I go to Church.

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Oh, I believe.

Like hens peck at any one of their bunch who is at all different.

Cliques are self-serving. Beware of them.

16. Raven

Raven Banned

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Raven

Raven Banned

[​IMG]

18. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Yep, he still looks like he should be playing the bad guy and not the Doctor.
    New images don't help much. -.-

And considering his background with dramas, um is he really right for Doctor Who?
    I barely see Doctor Who as ever being a drama.

19. Raven

Raven Banned

20. Raven

Raven Banned

Matt Smith, 26, grew up with his family including one sister in Northampton. He was head boy at Northampton School For Boys where he excelled at sports, music and drama.

Initially, Matt wanted to be a professional footballer and played for Northampton Town Under 11 and 12s, Nottingham Forest Under 12,13,14s and Leicester City Under 15 and 16s before a back injury forced him out of the game.

Following his injury, and with the encouragement of one of his teachers, Jerry Hardingham, Matt decided to join the National Youth Theatre. It was during this time that Matt first gained attention at the Royal Court Theatre when he was cast in the play Fresh Kills, directed by Wilson Milam, whilst still at the University Of East Anglia where he was studying Drama and Creative Writing.

Already a stalwart of the National Youth Theatre, his performance at the Court led to a variety of theatrical experiences at the National Theatre: in the award winning History Boys (directed by Nick Hytner), On The Shore Of The Wide World (directed by Sarah Frankcom) and also in the acclaimed trio of plays Burn / Citizenship / Chatroom (directed by Anna Mackmin).

These roles led to Matt's first outings on the small screen, alongside Billie Piper in Phillip Pullman's period detective stories, The Ruby in the Smoke and The Shadow in the North, where he played Jim, right hand man to Billie's detective heroine Sally Lockhart. These pieces were followed by the lead role of Danny in the BBC Two series Party Animals, the brilliantly observed drama set in the world of young politicians.

In a dazzling return to the Royal Court in 2007, Matt played Henry in Polly Stenham's award winning first play That Face, opposite Lindsay Duncan. His performance gained Matt an Evening Standard Best Newcomer nomination and a year later the play had a second life in the West End at the Duke of York's Theatre. In between the two runs, Matt played Guy opposite Christian Slater's Buddy in Swimming With Sharks, Mike Leslie's searing West End adaptation of the 1994 Hollywood film. In this time he also played a lead role in the BAFTA winning BBC One series, The Street, opposite Gina McKee and Lorraine Ashbourne.

Matt has recently completed work on Moses Jones for BBC Two, directed by Michael Offer, in which he plays the lead role of Dan Twentyman, alongside Shaun Parkes in the title role.

21. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

David Tennant was principally an actor with the RSC before Doctor Who, which is about as serious as drama gets.

22. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Yeah, but Tennant also played as Barty Crouch Junior in Harry Potter.
    So he has some experience with other genres as well.
    And I totally can picture him being the doctor.

Matt Smith looks like he should be playing a bad guy in Doctor Who. -.-
    But I am giving him a chance next spring.

23. Raven

Raven Banned

I think your all been too judgemental. He hasn't even started yet.

Until you know judging him is daft because if he turns out to be the best darned Doctor you'll all look jolly stupid.

24. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I am not judging him...I am doubting him. :)

25. Raven

Raven Banned

Same thing in my opinion buddy.

Gonna have to wait until spring 2010. Then judge after episode three i'd say. Gotta give him a fair chance first few episodes are usually poor of any new doctor or series.