Tags:
  1. joanna

joanna Active Member

Homeless in NYC. Please help. :)

Discussion in 'Research' started by joanna, Jan 8, 2012.

Two of my characters (a girl age 14 & an elderly man) are homeless & just made their way to New York City. It's been years since I've been there and I've only visited, so I could use some help.

-- They've been spending most of their time in Manhattan. Are there a fair amount of homeless people in Manhattan?

-- They've been street performing (dancing and drumming) for change. Are there a lot of panhandlers/street performers like this in NYC/Manhattan?

-- The year is 1996. I've read that panhandling was outlawed in, like, '92, but then the judgment was repealed and was legal again although some cops still hassle panhandlers (tell them to "move along" or something). Does this sound accurate?

-- They're not living in a homeless shelter, but I'd like to have them get meals from them on occasion. Anything anyone can tell me about NYC homeless shelters would be great. Are they huge, small? Safe, violent?

-- Could they sleep on the E train all night while it goes back and forth from Jamaica Center to the World Trade Center stops (this is how it looks on the transit map)?

My bad if these questions are terribly ignorant.

Thank you.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

-- They've been spending most of their time in Manhattan. Are there a fair amount of homeless people in Manhattan?
    ...yes... google for general stats and info... and look up the 'sro' programl...

-- They've been street performing (dancing and drumming) for change. Are there a lot of panhandlers/street performers like this in NYC/Manhattan?

...yes... in the parks and subways...

-- The year is 1996. I've read that panhandling was outlawed in, like, '92, but then the judgment was repealed and was legal again although some cops still hassle panhandlers (tell them to "move along" or something). Does this sound accurate?
    ...yes... some will move them on, some won't... depends on the cop and what the panhandler's doing...

-- They're not living in a homeless shelter, but I'd like to have them get meals from them on occasion. Anything anyone can tell me about NYC homeless shelters would be great. Are they huge, small? Safe, violent?
    ...there are missions and shelters... of all sizes, run by all kinds of groups/charities... some are safe, some not...

-- Could they sleep on the E train all night while it goes back and forth from Jamaica Center to the World Trade Center stops (this is how it looks on the transit map)?
    ...people do it on many trains... could be rousted, might not be...

3. joanna

joanna Active Member

mammamaia -- Thank you, was hoping you'd respond. :)

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

de nada, j!... did you know i was born/raised/lived in/near nyc?

are you also aware i've lived and worked in homeless shelters in maine, nevada, and northern california?... so, if you need any more detailed info on the homeless, just drop me a line anytime...

hugs, m
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

5. joanna

joanna Active Member

I did not know -- and I probably will be dropping you a line sometime soon. Thanks so much.