The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

You might need to get past that. Clearly you are incredibly smart. Why can't smart be pretty?

Obviously the way he dismissed pretty was disgusting. Looking past his ignorance, I see the joke being on him.

minstrel likes this.
  2. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

I'm a work in progress. And the people who know me best, know I have wits. I know these are the people who truly matter. But there are occasions when seemingly innocuous words plow through layers of defenses that can leave you smarting for a while.

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Hey, remember when all you had to do with a new console was plug it in and put in a game? Well, apparently with systems like the X-Box One, you can't do that anymore. It has to connect to the internet, update itself which can take a long time, make a Microsoft account just to get to the main console screen.

Now it's once again updating to play Sunset Overdrive, and it's either frozen or taking a really long time. Y'know what, screw it. I'm this close to taking the console and the game back to the store and getting my money back for something else. At least with my PlayStation 4, I just needed to make an in-system account that *gasp* didn't take that long at all! And the automatic installation of new games didn't take nowhere near as long as my XB1 is taking to install Sunset Overdrive.

To think that this was the 360's successor. If that game had been on the PlayStation 4 or the 360, I would have been at least two hours into playing it. But no, I'm two hours into just trying to get my console to play the damned game!

4. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Oh. My. Gosh. I've had some customers imply that as a woman I couldn't possibly know anything about hardware, etc., but I've never encountered such vile behavior as that.

Maybe he'd just been hurt by a pretty woman, and was taking it out on you? No excuse, but it would be an explanation.

5. SocksFox

Maybe, but like anything that hammers my emotions that hard, it made me think. I got an idea for another project in my White sequence. So there is an upside to even the worst situation.

minstrel and GingerCoffee like this.
  6. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

For some reason, The Writing Forum seems to shut down for several hours without explanation, and I get an "error" page. This has happened in the past, and sometimes clearing my cookies and cache helps, but today wasn't one of them. It's been down all day, and I just managed to get on (6:30 pm). This time the page just said it was "Unavailable, try again later." Does anyone else have this problem?:confused::(

7. GingerCoffee

It wasn't on your end. The server had issues according to the Tweet.

https://twitter.com/wforg

8. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I did, today. I assumed the site was down.

9. SocksFox

Site was down for awhile today. I checked on a couple of different computers and networks. Forum withdrawal...(shudders).

Catrin Lewis, Lancie, Nicoel and 2 others like this.
  10. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

@GingerCoffee @BayView @Darkkin

Thanks! I'm glad to know it's not on my end. My internet's been crappy lately, so it's hard to tell sometimes.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  11. RachHP

RachHP Senior Member

I'm not happy because today writing feels like choking down broccoli while setting yourself on fire, rather than the glorious technicolour rainbow dragrace it can be.
    I'm trying to make myself write in chronological order and finish each damn chapter before skipping onto the next one, but it's soooo...freaking....difficult.....:dead:
    Urgh.

12. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

Then why not skip ahead and write the chapters you're interested in? Just go back and fill in the blanks as they come to you. If you make it a chore, then eventually it'll become one. And in my opinion, that's never useful or good. The writing has a greater risk of coming out crappy.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  13. GingerCoffee

Well don't do it that way, then. I wrote my chapters out of order and I'm happy with how it's coming together.

14. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Plenty of writers write their stories out of order. Try doing that and see if that helps.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  15. RachHP

RachHP Senior Member

Thanks @Nicoel, @GingerCoffee and @Link the Writer. Sounds silly, but it didn't occur to me to just change approaches (the blinkers were on, as it were). Per your advice, as soon as I have rounded off the beginning I will let myself off the leash a bit and indulge in a little chapter-jumping! Thanks x

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  16. GalwayGirl

GalwayGirl Member

I had my first car accident yesterday, very minor i'm fine, my cars fine only a little cosmetic damage, but I did panic on my way to work this morning as I approached the site of the accident. Not massively impressed with myself to be honest it was just a little bump. I don't really understand why it's scared me so much?

17. SocksFox

Bad forum etiquette....:mad: Awesome moderators....:agreed:. And my power went out in the middle of this post. :wtf:

18. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

Anyone know how to delete comments?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  19. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I'm sad because yesterday night I told a guy I really liked - one of my best friends, and honestly my first love - that we couldn't be friends anymore.

We tried a friends with benefits situation and I ended up catching feelings. He ended up ending it with me - he told me was that "things would have changed between us" and that he wasn't ready for a relationship - and started sleeping with a different girl. That was a month ago and it's taken me a month to realize my feelings went deeper than I thought they did, struggle to decide if I could deal with him being my friend but flirting with someone else, and realizing that I couldn't do that, because the role he wanted me to fill in his life wasn't the role I wanted to fill. He wanted me to be his best friend, and while I knew I could do that if I tried, I couldn't find any way to do it that didn't feel like I was kowtowing to his wishes instead of going after what I wanted.

I don't hold his lack of feelings against him (or... his refusal to act on said feelings, if he actually had them, which I still don't know if he ever did or not), but at the same time, I can't be his friend and look at him every day and be reminded that for whatever reason, he doesn't want me in that way, or even at all, and even if it was still a possibility, I couldn't wait for him. And I knew that if we stayed friends, I would have waited, and it would have been painful to watch him flirt with someone else for the next month and a half, and I would have been dragging my stress and upset out, constantly reaching for something I wasn't getting any more. It sucks to not be his friend anymore, but what I really need is time, distance, and focus on myself, which I wouldn't be getting if I was still trying to make this work between us. And honestly, lately our friendship has felt stiffer and more pulled back than it was, and I can't deal with that either.

20. SocksFox

The 'it's just poetry so I can forgo all puctuation' mindset: It isn't modern, it's lazy. If you're going to write, write. Don't waste the reader's time with ambiguity. (Steps off soap box.)

I'm helping with a young poets society at the university and it's enough to make you want to cry.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  21. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributor Contributor

That is an incredibly silly mindset (the punctuation forgoing).

22. SocksFox

Bullies. No, just no. :rant:

23. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I'm not happy because I still have 5 weeks or so in this cast for my broken leg.

24. SocksFox

Ouch! At least you're approaching the halfway point.

Lewdog likes this.
  25. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Dude, when/how did you break your leg?? :superfrown:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.