The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lozboz

Lozboz Member

Staying positive is important but I think having a day feeling sorry for yourself is good for you too. Just gotta keep on swimming as they say.

2. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

I missed Thanksgiving because my siblings decided to move the dinner somewhere else. By the time they told me on the day of, I was too far away to travel. I had asked them the day before and checked with my parents. My family, folks.

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Da fuq? Who does that!? >:[ That's it. <prepares Thanksgiving for you> Here, we'll have a two-days-late Thanksgiving meal here on the forums. Happy Thanksgiving!

minstrel likes this.
  4. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

Posting from my phone.

I'm still at my brother's house; we leave tomorrow after lunch. By this time tomorrow night I should be safely back in my quiet, dark lair.

I've officially reached exhaustion. We've only been here three days, but this vacation has worn me down to the bone. My family does not understand how I function, nor do they bother to try to empathize.

Instead, it's impatient "Come onnnn"s and scolding my name, as if I'm being completely unreasonable for protesting hectic and loud adventures.

No, I do not want to go shopping. Ever. There are people out there, don't you see them?

No, I do not want to play Boom Boom Balloon. Have you fucking met me? Mounting tension and sudden, loud noises are not fun. The fuck is wrong with you?

No, I am not addicted to WoW. I simply find it more fun and interesting than other activities. Excuuuuse me for choosing the thing that fits me best. :wtf:

*grumbles and shoves earbuds in, plays Diorama to try to heal*

:superwhew:

Soon.

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It's 4:20 pm and the Sun just set. :bigfrown:

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Don't worry, Ginger. It'll come up again tomorrow morning. :)

7. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

Hours and hours of that large purple dinosaur Barney on the TC has made me appreciate the God awful whistling i must endure everyday at work..

8. Imaginarily

I won the Olympics of that. :-D

9. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Yeah winter sucks. I wish it was sun 24/7. Seriously.

10. Imaginarily

*fires @123456789 into the sun*

11. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

So my parents' house is near a school, and in front of the school you have the typical "Yield to Pedestrians" signs sitting in the crosswalks, typically in the center of the road where they're no threat to anyone. Well. I leave my parents' house this past weekend around 10pm, on the dark, winding road that leads to the main road out. Said school is on the dark, winding road. For some reason, that Yield to Pedestrians sign is now in the middle of the lane, on its side, and given the backroads nature of the road, the lighting is spotty at best. So I don't see it. Until it's under my car ripping the plastic cover under my engine away from the front bumper.

I pulled into the school and after a lot of cursing got out in time to see three more cars hit the sign. They all kept going, probably because my car turned it into little more than a speed bump. You're welcome, three people who I just saved from a fuckton of inconvenience. I moved the sign out of the road (a little more aggressively than was probably necessary). It's still where I left it. Glad to see the school gives a shit about its signs.

Of course they have to replace the entire bumper. It'll be expensive. Like, an entire paycheck expensive.

And did I mention? The car's two weeks old.

:supermad:

Yeah, it's technically my fault. Technically.

12. GingerCoffee

13. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Horrific! I just can't get my head around how anybody can feel justified inflicting this kind of suffering on others.

14. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

15. obsidian_cicatrix

I lost a pet to illness a few weeks back and I'm still feeling a tad raw. It was always a toss-up who would go first, one of my ferrets or my eldest cat, Slater. When my male ferret died, the female, Mir, was lonely and started to bond more with the older cat. He seemed happy to accommodate her, encouraged her even. Yesterday when I got in from babysitting, I knew there was something wrong. Slater was holed up in my tumble dryer, a place he knows he's not allowed to be. He can barely raise his head and has not made any attempt to move, eat or drink in the past 24 hrs. I'm positive he's dying. I'm sitting here wondering what to do for the best. Unlike last night, he doesn't appear to be suffering, but is phasing in and out of consciousness. He hates my vet with a passion so I'm weighing up the pros and cons of having him euthanised. If he could slip away quietly, peacefully at home, that would, imo, be the best thing for him. The average lifespan for a cat is 15 years. He is nearly 18. He was rescued when my daughter was 10, and she's now a mother to a four year old and I'm a granny. He's been a big part of my life for so long it's hard to imagine life without him. I'm trying to be optimistic. Maybe he's just under the weather. But a nagging voice in the back of my brain is telling me to harden up and prepare for the worst.

16. ikkie

ikkie New Member

just the title makes me to post in this thread. Like the idea.

17. GingerCoffee

In my opinion, let him die peacefully at home. Keep his mouth moist if he needs it because he'll no doubt be dehydrated, but there's no need to put him through the trauma of going to the vet. You'll feel better about it if he dies at home.

My dogs are getting on in their years. But except for one getting injured by another dog they've been healthy. I worry though that someday they will leave me.

:friend:

18. obsidian_cicatrix

Thanks @GingerCoffee. Glad to see you think I'd be doing him a favour by not bringing him to the vet. I deeply regret having the last visit with my now deceased ferret. I put him through the hassle of transportation, examination, poking and prodding, when he could have spent that time peacefully at home. I guess I just wasn't ready to let go of him without a fight, but the regret I feel will ensure I think twice this time round.

19. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I know the feeling. The sun will set at 3:19 pm today, and I'm basically in the south, so I can only imagine how dark and depressing it is, say, in Lapland right now. :bigeek:

I went to the woods with the horse yesterday and man, it was pitch-black. As far as I know she can see better in the dark than I, so I had to basically trust her, except she's a skittish little thing, so it turned out to be a rather interesting "walk." Then the day before that I was riding with a group and my mount got spooked. Among horses, fear is contagious, and their response is always flight. While I managed to stay in the saddle, another woman fell down pretty badly. Not seriously injured, but she'll have bruises.

I'm actually not surprised horseback riding is ranked among the most dangerous sports. :(

So sorry to hear about this. He's certainly quite old for a cat, I think. This is the hardest part about pets; we humans tend to outlive them and have to deal with the heartbreak of losing them. :( But I still hope he'll get better!

20. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

I'm done writing in English. I never get shit done in that language.

21. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Shut up, get back on your pony x

22. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

I did have to take one of my cats in to the vet to have him put to sleep. I would have preferred to let him stay home but he was in pain and suffering and that is no way to let him spend his last days. I regret not being there with him when it happened, I did choose to have his ashes spread over a field though, seemed like a good option anyway at the time anyway. I tried to drive away from the vet's quick like that was going to make me feel better of something. but I ended up puling over to a parking lot within moments... it was the first time I really cried in years.

23. GingerCoffee

Of course if they are in pain it is for the best. Sorry about your kitty @DeadMoon.

24. Sloppy

Sloppy Member

I feel like I'm about to go insane because college and the like is coming up soon and I want to go Ivy League and my entire self-worth seems to be based off getting in.

25. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

I didn't go to an Ivy, but I know many people who did. The breakdown of them is as follows: Group 1) They think they're so amazing they got into an Ivy League school, consider themselves better for having done so, and continue to see themselves as better for the rest of their lives. They are invariably awful people; Group 2) They think they're so amazing they got into an Ivy League school, they get to know their fellow students and professors and realize the vast majority of them are just normal people, they find that the vast majority of people in the real world don't give a shit about their Ivy League-status (their non-Group 1 friends may have an initial "OMG" followed by a sharp decline to ambivalence), they realize it only matters in tapping into the alumni network and occasionally getting an interview they otherwise wouldn't have, and Ivy League only becomes a tiny portion of what defines them. They can become as awesome as people in Group 3; and Group 3) They think it's cool they're going to an Ivy League, but it is never a large portion of their identity. They are mostly awesome people because their personality/experiences/interests are good enough that they don't feel the need to over-identify with what college they went to.

Be a Group 2 person!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.