The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

My next door neighbours adopted two dogs from the pound, one a lurcher. They've been having trouble house training it, and the poor creature spends a lot of time out on the balcony in the cold. It whines continuously for them to let it back in and the sound sets my nerves on edge...like when a baby won't stop crying. They've been reported to animal welfare, and officers called out, but they didn't get to witness how often and for how long the dog is left outside. I'm at my wits end. The dog has a low BMI and it's winter. :(

2. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

My two cats and my ferret all do that....the only bit they are really interested in is the gravy/jelly. By comparison, the chunks taste bland to them. I hate bland food...not surprised they do it. I would. Now if the chunks tasted of bacon, that would be a different matter. ;) (My three all hustle for a morsel of crispy, smoked streaky if I'm making a cooked breakfast.)

Lewdog likes this.
  3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Sometimes, when you're feeling down, you've got to listen/watch to some of the craziest videos. So here are the Star Wars characters singing classical Disney music. Hope this cheers you all up. :D

4. furzepig

furzepig Member

My sister's cat has to be put to sleep. I live with her, so he's sort of my cat, too.

My timeshare cat has to be put to sleep. :(

5. Kit Carruthers

Kit Carruthers New Member

Well I'm happy enough right now, I guess. I have a rant I posted on facebook from when i was not...

Welp, there's no work people on my facebook so I'm'a rant... I volunteer at a cat shelter twice a week. The owner there is very stern, and it runs in the family... Her nephew is very stern too. The difference being the owner is usually quite reasonable with her sternness. But this guy, this fucking guy...

Like two weeks ago I had all the food trays on a cart, and one of them was out of line with the rest of them, so he put them all on one line and said it was pissing him off. I said "I have a system" and he lets out a frustrated sigh. I wanted to say "Yeah it's real annoying that I have a system" and most of the time I WOULD say that, I would jump right down a person's throat at the first sign of trouble... But I figured this is work and I should be more professional.

He tells me to do the kitten cages first, which was fine, but he did it with frustration in his voice and said that I was told that in my training. Which I was not. If I was told on my first day, I would have done it on my first day, and then I would have remembered the next day and the day after that. Plus if I were told that, it would have sounded familiar to me when he told me this time, and it did not sound the least bit familiar. I have a pretty damn good memory I would have remembered it. But I swallowed my anger and said "Oh, sorry, I don't remember that."

It gets better...

Then he asks me to hand him the little garbage bin. I just nudged it towards him with my foot. He said "I said PICK IT UP." And in my head I was all like, alright, that's a little strange, but I'll pretend like everything is normal. I say "Sounds like something my grandfather would have said... Don't lean against the wall, God gave you legs for a reason, pick it up with your hands, you have hands for a reason, et cetera et cetera..." He gives me this look like he was DEAD serious and this is NOT funny. So my smile just dropped and I said "Okay."

Now, today... He had grabbed the bin of dirty toys... I went and grabbed some loose toys from the room I was doing and I came and asked him where he put the toy bin. He says "pick stuff up" so I'm like, alright... I pick up one bin and he's all "NO." I pick up another bin and he's all 'NO." then I pick up the third bin and there it is. Finally I've had enough, I can't keep it inside any more. I say "You know this would have been much quicker if you had said pick THAT ONE up not pick STUFF up" and he said some stupid angry thing about common sense and I said "WHATEVER"

But I will give him credit for this, we can yell at eachother and then moments later everything is cool. I guess he's used to having people have angry outbursts at him.

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

:friend:I'm sorry. :superfrown:

furzepig likes this.
  7. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

Ever notice how being alone and depressed makes the background sounds standout while everything else is muted? I can hear the faint sound of a cats paw hitting the floor but the TV is just white noise. The slight tick from downstairs as the furnace starts up is loud and clear but the tea kettle noise close to me it like a soft whisper. I guess I don't have a point to this, I mean I am unhappy but not in the way i would say is bad, it's more like the happy when it rains or listening to a sad song kinda feeling.

8. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

"The recessionary expenditure gap is the amount by which aggregate expenditures at full employment GDP fall short of those required to achieve full employment GDP."

In non-technical terms, this definition can be restated as the amount by which the value at point x is less than the value at point x. I don't think I've ever came across a more unusable definition in any textbook. It took me more than 20 minutes to figure out what the hell the author was trying to say.

No-Name Slob likes this.
  9. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

I still believe that I'm so highly evolved that mine will never come in. Muahaha.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  10. No-Name Slob

They want you all wishy-washy on purpose, ya' know. They think it'll help you to really know the material. o_O

Ben414 likes this.
  11. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

I'd like to imagine the author does this in his real-life classes, too:

Professor: "The recessionary expenditure gap is the amount by which aggregate expenditures at full employment GDP fall short of those required to achieve full employment GDP."

*The students stare blankly at him, then at each other. The over-achieving student in the front row reluctantly raises his hand.*

Student: "Um, can you explain that some more?"

Professor: "Answering your question would constitute an act in which I explained the concept of the recessionary expenditure gap in the manner I did before when I explained the concept of the recessionary expenditure gap in the manner in which you understood."

*Student stares blankly at the professor, then lowers his hand.*

Professor: "Moving on..."

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    No-Name Slob likes this.
  12. No-Name Slob

:superlaugh:

13. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

The moment some anxious event passes or they cheer me up, they want something. If you can't help me, at least don't add to my burden. This is why I prefer not to engage.

14. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I've noticed over the past few months that my mom has entered into a stage of life where the only phrase construction she seems to know anymore is the ultimatum. Not just with me, with everyone. If this is who she is going to be as an older person, I foresee many an unpleasantness.

15. Link the Writer

So she's gotten to the phase where everything's now black and white, good and bad?

16. Wreybies

She's also taken lately to speaking in terms of who she told off and to what extent. Sadly, it's a very Puerto Rican thing to do. PR's make a show of being "cojonú". Not something I thought I would hear my mom give in to.

17. Link the Writer

Oh dear. That is not good. :[

18. Wreybies

Yeah.... I don't know what's up with her but if they ever legalize it here, I'm'a show momz how to roll a pinner and chill. ;)

19. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I'm not happy because I can't get a book I need for one of my college classes. I first ordered it online a month or so before class started. I never got it and then ended up asking for a refund. I had a book voucher I got through vocational rehab and was going to use it to buy the book from the local campus book store. They didn't have it in stock and said they had it on order and could get it any day. They never got it and the book store closed for the season. So then the professor of the class, copied the first two chapters out of her book to give to the 6 or more people in the class that didn't have the book, and she called the main campus book store to see what was going on. they said the book company ran out of them and was going to print more copies, and that they should have some in a day or two. So I ordered my copy from them, and since the book voucher had now expired, I had to pay out of pocket for it when I shouldn't have had to. Well, here it is a week later and they STILL haven't gotten it. I called and the guy told me to go to a website called Chegg.com and buy it from there and cancel my order with the book store. Well Chegg.com is out of stock. So then I decide to go back to ISBN.org, which is a coll website that you can put in the ISBN number of a book and it will tell you the cheapest place to buy the book online. Well check out these prices for a book that I originally ordered online for $18 with shipping.

Best Prices for this Book in New Condition
    #1 [​IMG]
    $106.84

+3.49 shipping

Ships 2-3 days

Notes

Buy this book ›

#2 [​IMG]
    $228.62

+3.99 shipping

Ready to ship

Notes

Buy this book ›

#3 [​IMG]
    $917.82

+3.95 shipping

Ready to ship

Notes

Buy this book ›

#4 [​IMG]
    $946.35

+3.99 shipping

Ships 2-3 days

Notes

Buy this book ›

Best Used Prices
    #1 [​IMG]
    $1,112.56

+3.99 shipping

Ready to ship

Notes

Buy this book ›

#2 [​IMG]
    $1,246.92

Free shipping

Ships 2-3 days

Notes

Buy this book ›

#3 [​IMG]
    $105.57

+3.49 shipping

Ships 2-3 days

Notes

Buy this book ›

#4 [​IMG]
    $105.57

+3.99 shipping

Ready to ship

Notes

Buy this book ›

#5 [​IMG]
    $105.57

+3.99 shipping

Ready to ship

Notes

Buy this book ›

Best Rental Prices
    #1 [​IMG]
    $624.15

Free shipping

Ready to ship

Notes

Yeah, that is prices for a paperback book that has an original list price under $20. So what the fuck am I supposed to do when there are weekly readings and a quiz every week? Certainly the professor can't get by copyright laws and make copies of the book every week?

20. Lewdog

So another reason I am unhappy today, my e-file taxes were rejected by the IRS because I don't have an e-file PIN from filing in 2014. Well I didn't work in 2014 so I didn't file, so how do I get an e-file PIN? Well let's just say contacting and talking to someone from the IRS isn't easy. After many attempts calling them I kept getting re-routed through an automated system which kept taking me back to the same place that did me no good because it kept asking for information regarding filing taxes for 2014. I could never get to talk to a human being. So I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm going to try calling a local IRS office tomorrow and see if I can get anything out of that.

Tenderiser likes this.
  21. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

So it's not just the tax office over here that's impossible to get through to, weighed down in red tape and completely frustrating to have to deal with? I feel for you, @Lewdog.

22. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

The wind is blowing outside while Netflix blows on the inside, damn I wish they would load some good shows

23. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

So depressed after rereading a few days out of my journal from 33 years ago . . . Damn, I am such a failure. I've done nothing of significance with my life. I should have seen it coming back then and changed course, but I was too stupid to know better.

24. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Are any of these outfits a comedy act? Like, really.

I once saw prices like that on Amazon for a gallon of raw milk. Somebody's channelling P. T. Barnum.

25. Lewdog

No, it's all serious. What we found out is, our professor is the only, and I mean only college professor in the entire world, not shitting you, that is using this book as a text book for her classes. Well unfortunately, there aren't enough copies out there on the internet to fulfill the demand for the book, and the book was out of print. So the book store at the college had to actually contact the publisher and get them to take out the book and do a reprinting of it JUST for our class.

Just messing around, and I looked on ebay.com for "Good Cop Bad Cop" and found this book:

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOOD-COP-BAD-COP-by-Roland-Graeme-SIREN-GAY-CONTEMPORARY-MENAGE-D-s-ROMANCE-/151662494748?hash=item234fca041c:g:guwAAOSweW5VPaNg

I don't think that book would help me to pass my class. :superlaugh:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.