The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    The mistakes I made decades ago are still echoing throughout the lives of me and my friends.

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I got stood up by a sweet lady I had been texting back and forth for a while, and now I are a sad Troll. :cry:

Well that just means that we were not suppose to meet or anything. Too bad for her. :supertongue:

Crybaby likes this.
  3. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

I usually avoid this thread because it's no fun to read sad shit, but I just wanted to vent tonight.
    I've been cruising throughFacebook writers groups looking for more critique partners. (Most of these people seem to be either high school kids or people who don't speak English as a first language) The results have been disappointing.

I finally found someone that seemed promising & we swapped the first 3 chapters of our respective WIP's.
    Nevermind the fact that she went through my piece in under an hour & provided little more than random comments that only pointed out areas where she obviously hadn't paid attention.
    I spent about 4 hours going through her's, filling the comments with so many items that there were some things I just plain skipped.
    She sent me a prologue written in 3rd person past tense. A chapter one written in 3rd person present tense & another chapter in 1st person present tense. WTF??
    What makes it all more frustrating, is that the plot is interesting. I like the damn thing, but I can't imagine everything getting fixed.
    Venting done.

Crybaby and Cave Troll like this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    @doggiedude I am glad I learned from that mistake. I had a 'prologue' (if it could even be called that) that was in third person, to set off into the rest of the story in first. So I get your frustration with that randomness of that lady. (I was told to pick a POV and run with it, and it would have been a real bitch to turn 3 first POVS to third. I got this bit of foresight from here on the forum no less.) So she will have to change the POV so that it fits. I think the only exception is in third POV that goes in and out of Diary First POV. I could be entirely wrong, but it worked out ok since there was only one MC throughout and only their Diary entries were presented. (Shrugs)

Maybe you should try to find or form a local writers group. That way you don't have to worry about the people with in it possibly having English as a second language.

doggiedude likes this.
  5. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Typhoon coming in, but don't have the day off from my part-time evening job. :(

6. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

*Sigh* It's always something, isn't it? But why this something, right?

What can I say, but get well soon?

7. Catrin Lewis

If you end up on one of those videos hanging on for dear life while doors and windows and signs blow off around you, be sure to send us the link, ok? :supershock:

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  8. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

As a Liverpool fan, I was very happy to see that result :) But then again, we lost to Burnley in week 2!

Can't wait to see what this season brings as a whole. Should be one to remember.

Crybaby likes this.
  9. Catrin Lewis

I notice you put this here and not in the Art of Critique section. Which, when one is simply venting, may be the right idea.

10. Catrin Lewis

No, he lives in Florida.

11. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

I think your right and Citeh look unbeatable.
    God, that's hard for me to admit. :supermad:

12. Historical Science

Let's not forget what happened last year. City didn't even concede a goal in their first 5 games. I would say they look better this year but it's still so early. I can't see Everton sustaining their form either although they've had a weak schedule so far.

Crybaby likes this.
  13. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

Everton will fall away after a few weeks, no worries there. City are still the ones to beat.

Southpool Sorry ;) Liverpool will do better this season I reckon as long as this new goalkeeper is better than Mr. dropsey you got at the moment. Northampton tomorrow night...bloody dreading it :eek:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    Historical Science likes this.
  14. Historical Science

Karius is finally recovered from his broken hand and is playing in the cup game right now. Mignolet has driven me crazy for so many years. He can stop a shot but his decision making is terrible.

Just made a PL thread :) https://www.writingforums.org/threads/premier-league-season-2016-2017.148440/

15. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

Well done!

Was going to do that but you beat me to it...jeez, it feels like I'm playing in the Manu defence :superlaugh:

16. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Me: "Huzzah! I get to spend all day writing!"

My Brain: "LOL, NO!"

Me: :superfrown:.......:supermad:

That's how I feel right now.

17. Miller0700

Miller0700 Contributor Contributor

My moped is messed up and my dad and I decided to go to call a scooter store so that they can fix it. It costs $65 for them to pick it up. Yesterday my dad said he would pay for half and I would pay the other half. Now he want me to pay for everything and will only pay back $35. Bull. He should pay me the $65 back since he didn’t do anything. I just called the scooter store and they said altogether it should be $130 to get the scooter, where I thought they said it was only $65. :bigmad:

18. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

My boss - as some will know from reading the poetry contest I was falsely accused of bullying/harrasment by an outgoing employee - this was investigated (very stressful) and found to be unfounded ... my boss has now decided he wants to 'review my management style informally' as he feels the complaint would not have come in if everything was going right

I think I need to show him an OED Unfounded: Having no foundation or basis; chiefly fig., groundless, unwarranted.

19. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

Jeez, this is why I left all the managerial stuff behind. Tried it, loathed, never go back! I hated being a manager. :supermad:

I love life too much to worry about deluded people who have chips on their shoulders. They feel un-important in the work place so make crap up to make you look bad. I know there are people out there that take advantage of senior positions but when you know you've been nothing but supportive, generous and damn right respectful to that individual and then they go and hit you with a complaint that's a lie? It angers me. I hated being a manager...did I say that already? Stuff the money! Some people just don't like being managed.

I was a regional customer care manager about five years ago and when I got made redundant...it was the happiest day of my bloody life! :cheerleader:The call centre I ran at the time employed a load of escapees from the mental instituition down the road, I think.

Blimey, that rant was five years over due. Sorry :superfrown:

Get your OED out :supertongue: and don't allow them to bring you down :superagree:

20. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

I've been absent on the forums the past few weeks due to this rant.
    I was accepted onto a paid internship in a hospital to do healthcare. The internship was specifically for people with no experience of healthcare - so you'd think that they'd fully train you and whatnot, perhaps 2/3 weeks worth of training on what to do in x,y or z situations? Basic personal care skills? Perhaps some hands on practice on how to do things like change a catheter bag? But no. You get 3 days worth of training covering about an hour on each topic ranging from dementia care to stoma care, mostly powerpoint presentations, then you are left to it on a busy ward full of desperately sick people, some exceptionally so.

Turned up on Monday with no clue on where to go to get changed, what the routines are like, no introductions to other staff, patients or anything like that. No instruction on what sort of mobility aids any of the patients needed or where to find the information. I thought I'd just be shadowing the first week or so but oh no, straight into it. I've got to ask for help for really basic things cause I have actually zero previous experience and I just feel like a burden to the other staff, cause I'm asking for help for every little thing. I know it's not their jobs to teach me, it should be the senior staff but they are all so busy you never get 5 mins to have a word with anyone. It's just so frustrating...rant over...for now at least. :supermad:

Crybaby likes this.
  21. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Went onto Facebook and got this on my feed:

https://mic.com/articles/154555/video-of-terence-crutcher-s-police-shooting-may-be-the-worst-we-ve-seen-yet#.Qfo44Ebm4
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/20/us/video-released-in-terence-crutchers-killing-by-tulsa-police.html?_r=0

Basically, Terence Crutcher, an unarmed black man was shot and killed by police in Tulsa, Oklahoma as he was reaching into his car. He was shot first by a stun gun, then shot with an actual gun and killed. The video has actual footage of the incident, so be warned.

Saying that I'm sad this happened would be the understatement of the century. It's... Jesus Christ... It's 2016, people, not 1966!! This shouldn't be happening!!

I have no words...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    matwoolf likes this.
  22. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Why are you saying "people." It's the fault of the police and those who are failing to punish them.

23. Georgina Bass

Georgina Bass Member

I am really stuck at work, sleepy too. But there's no other choice to opt for. Somebody save me. Sad life. :cry:

Crybaby likes this.
  24. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

I know how you feel.
    My job sucks, too.

25. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

the people ellect the authorities who apoint the people who are failing to investigate these incidents propperly, so ultimately the population are culpable for what is done in their name. That said it may be too early to assume that this is racially motivated, there have been incidents of wrongful pilce shootings of white men too.

Also I assume the officers thought he was reaching for a weapon, and while they were wrong it may not have been apparent at the time - its very easy for an armchair expert to second guess the split second decisions a police officer has to make given far more info and all the time in the world to think about it

Crybaby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.