The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Exactement. When I took some of my colleagues to KM for an introduction class, they were plain shocked after the instructor who trains cops in the metropolitan area explained to them in no uncertain terms a few things about the realities they face... in the streets of Helsinki... which is the equivalent of Sleepyville in Nothingeverhappensshire in comparison to Chicago, Atlanta and so on. This happened only a month or so before a cop was killed with an illegally owned assault rifle.

Doesn't change the fact some cops make mistakes, or that some cops may be racist or too quick to profile, but the dangers they face every day and the sacrifices they make to protect and serve should not be ignored either.

There, my not-happy.

Crybaby likes this.
  2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm very sorry I turned this into a political discussion. :cry:What have I done!?

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

*pats link on the head and hands him some kleenex* ("No, its for your tears... oh god what have i done ... turns away in disgust" :D )

Link the Writer likes this.
  4. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

No, the media, steered by corporations, elect authorities.
    It's 2016, time to get real here.

Albeit and Spencer1990 like this.
  5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

But the public are stupid enough to believe what they read, so they are still culpable

Crybaby likes this.
  6. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

:eek:

7. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

I know where your coming from. I work in mental health, and all the carers say the same as you. There are certian situations they are afraid to deal with because mental health is a complex illness. Very unwell patients can be verbally threatening, aggressive and dangerous to the public and to themselves. This leaves them vulnarable, too. No one person is the same. Mental illness can be scary if your new to the profession. It's unfair for an organisation not to prepare new inexperienced employees of the daily challenges they will face and the best ways to deal with them.

Training that I have done kind of side steps everyday issues. I don't get it and probably never will.

Shbooblie likes this.
  8. Miller0700

Miller0700 Contributor Contributor

Well, my scooter is fixed and I was going to ride it to school where they are having a writing club, but I got stopped by the police. I thought I was going to get arrested, but it turned out I forgot to get tags for the bike. They could've taken it, but they were lenient on me. They said I should just go home instead because if I get stopped again, the cops this time might not be so lenient. I was almost home when I ran out of gas. I had almost a full tank when I turned it in the shop. They must've rode it around the city. I had to walk it home in the heat.

:mad:

Crybaby and matwoolf like this.
  9. Miller0700

Miller0700 Contributor Contributor

Continuing from the last post I made, my dad and I went to an insurance place to get the bike insured. We signed up for progressive and the monthly payments were $37 a month. It seemed reasonable and the agent told us a tag issuer down the street does tags for vehicles. It sounded like things were finally looking up. We stopped at the tags place and they said they didn’t do motorcycles. We called around and one license company said that the VIN number belongs to Chinese bike and since I didn’t get the tittle signed officially when I got the bike that they can’t do anything until so. Dad wanted to go to a shady dealer and do it (he got the tags on his truck that way), but I convinced him to call the guy who I got the bike from and see and he's available to sign the back of the title. I called the him, but my dad took the phone from me because he was angry I wasn’t saying the right things. It pissed me off. He that I don't get to the point fast enough and that I'm too nice and that I should have a "not giving a damn" attitude when talking to people.

The guy said to not say anything else about the bike other than we need tags for it. We rode to a tag place that my dad knew of and he lied again. :bigmad: He said the signature on the back of the title was my name (It wasn’t, the guy was from Delaware, we're from Pennsylvania). I was pissed because it was going to backfire on him (he always likes to lie about everything). It almost did. The guy behind the counter asked for my license and my dad’s name which he refused to say because he had got caught in his lie and couldn't get out. The guy soon found out he was lying. Luckily he didn’t say anything else. He said since the name on the back of the title is the actual person that we need to see we can’t get the tags for it until then. Since we can't sell it to another person who's looking for a bike for that reason, the only option we have left is to take it to the scooter shop where the repairs were done and see if we can sell it and get some money back for it. We were able to cancel out the insurance and the money I spent should be back on my card next week. We're just going to save up to buy a used car. No more bikes for me for a while. :meh:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  10. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I'm very much into my unboxing videos (as I've said elsewhere) but why when I do a search on 'unboxing books' is every single damn video either by a female or gay man, neither of whom 'unbox' the type of books I have any interest in!

11. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

I've had Taylor Swift's Blank Space stuck in my head for three freakin' days.

12. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

Renovations at work mean builders and their trucks everywhere. Parking is minimal and its a friggin nightmaaaaare!!!! :cry:
    Soooooo frustrating! :supermad:
    There. Got that off my chest, thanks for listening. :blowkiss:

13. Masterspeler

Masterspeler Active Member

Sorry I wasn't on. I know some people asked some questions about my last post many pages back.

Im still broke, living on scraps and borrowed money. Im trying to figure out editing. I thought self publishing was pricey but editing is more than my car!

I recall I mentioned research. I was a mathematician, but that seems like a lifetime ago, and it left me rather bitter. But then again, I think life tastes bitter. If it doesn't, your adding something to sweeten.

14. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Obviously different in your country, but I just want to point out that in 2015, in U.S, a total of 42 police officers were killed. Compare that to 1,200 people killed by cops in 2o15.

If you look at this link here, you'll see that police fatality is surprisingly very small and shrinks every year despite a rapidly increasing police force. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36826297

More truck drivers die per year than cops.

15. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Sorry, won't debate you here in the Not Happy thread. :) I'd have to tell myself to stop and take it elsewhere. :p

GingerCoffee likes this.
  16. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Everything sucks right now.

I hate being a manager. It's stressing me out so much, it's physically taking a toll on my body. I've been having headaches, nausea, kidney pain, and I'm too exhausted to function when I'm off.

Last weekend was the worst two days ever. A customer was complaining over in grooming so much that I had to step in (never dealt with a grooming customer before). I had to call my store manager to figure out how to handle it. The customer proceeded to yell at me for ten minutes. Then the groomer accidentally cut her dog. So I again had to call my manager, got yelled at by the customer some more, then spent the next two hours filing an incident report and contacting the vet to pay for the dogs treatment. On top of that, I was trying to get signing done for the sale starting Sunday. Since I didn't get it done, I had to finish Sunday. Six hundred and forty labels in three hours. I pushed myself so hard, I had zero energy by the time the store closed.

Woke up Monday with hives all over me.

Truck came early Monday and my store manager expected me to get it all done before closing. But we started to get busy, so that didn't happen, and I got yelled at for it. Rash continued to spread.

Went to the doctor Wednesday. He didn't even try to figure out what it was -- just gave me prednisone and told me to come back in a week if it didn't clear up.

And since prednisone suppresses your immune system, I caught my husband's cold. So I'm starving because of the prednisone, but I have no desire to eat because of the cold. I'm exhausted because my immune system is trying to fight this off, but the prednisone makes you wired, so I've been struggling to sleep. Took cold medicine before I went to bed and woke up at four am when it wore off and had to take more.

Now I have to work tonight, still covered in hives, suffering from an awful cold, taking two different medications to help treat both, and there's literally one other person closing with me tonight. On a Saturday. In retail.

I promised my husband I'd wait until October to make a decision about my job. Well, it's officially October, and I can't decide what I want to do. Step down and feel awkward around a bunch of employees who have always seen me as their boss? Or stay a manager until a position opens up in another store? I honestly have no idea what to do anymore.

But I'm miserable. In pretty much every way.

I hate everything.

Masterspeler and Crybaby like this.
  17. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

I empathize with you completely. I had a job that I loved, got promoted to regional customer care manager, then it went down hill faaaast. Managers are scapegoats. My job sucked the life out of me and made me ill. I'd wake up at night, in tears and remember I'd forgot to do something the day before that would mess up something important for the customer the following day. Like you, I was at my wits end. I didn't know which way to turn. Left or right. But hey, god works in mysterious ways, right. After two years of BS I got made redundant (laid off). I often ask myself if I'd I still be there today...but honestly, I don't think so.

Look for another job or like you say wait for another opening within the same company elsewhere if its that particular store causing you pain.

I hate to recomend this but you could get signed off with stress for a while to get your head straight and your strength back. Things will be clearer and you'll make better and wiser decision because of the break?

:love:

18. Lea`Brooks

Thank you. :) I often feel like the worst kind of person when I complain about my job. Jobs suck. If they were supposed to be fun, you wouldn't call it work. So I feel like I should just suck it up, bite the bullet, and do my civic duty.

But I can't. I'm just not a manager. And that's okay. I don't want to be "the guy." I want to be the guy that helps "the guy." I want to be the receptionist that gives helpful advice in a pickle. I want to be the sales associate that steps up to get the manager out of a bind. I want to be the person that everyone can depend on to get things done.

But to be "the guy?" Nah, man. I don't want that. And I never did. I just thought I could handle it. Because I'm still the guy that helps "the guy." I'm the assistant to my assistant and store managers. When they're at work, they're "the guy," and I'm just the guy that helps them. But when they aren't there, I'm "the guy." I hate that.

And I'm really starting to think my rash is from stress. I first noticed it Sunday night, right after my drama filled weekend. And it's just too coincidental to me.

So I decided to talk to my store manager today. I have to step down. I literally have to or I'll just continue to crumble. I don't care how it looks. I'm overwhelmed. And I think it's better to admit that than to pretend I'm someone I'm not.

I feel better already.

Crybaby likes this.
  19. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

Good for you!
    Your rash is to do with the stress. Your body needs to get the anger out of its system and its doing it the rashy way ;)
    Did you ask to be demoted or leave all together? Either way, to hell with how it looks or what people think, you need to look after number one. Like I said, I know what its like to be 'the guy' and it does suck. I'd never be a manager again, suervisor, yes but the other one N.O. My healths more impoprtant and my quality of life. Stressing about something I don't care about is a waste of my time. Learned that on reflection and now I'm in a job that still 'sucks' because like you say, 'jobs suck' the difference is, I no longer take it home at night.

Breath easy Lea Brooks, it will all come good, you'll see. :friend:

20. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Hold your nerve. We have one manager all conscientious, the other is a derelict. Treated no differently by senior team. Stay cool.

Crybaby likes this.
  21. Lea`Brooks

I just asked to step down. I'll retain my keys and management codes. I'll still do some of the jobs I do now. I just won't be "the guy" anymore. I'll be the unofficial fifth manager in the store. And I'm okay with that. I like what I do -- the actual tasks. I just don't like the managing part. I don't like making decisions or being the fall guy. My store manager was cool with it too. She said she'd rather me be honest than stay in a position I don't like.

We'll start the transition within the week. I'm so relieved.

KaTrian, Crybaby and Cave Troll like this.
  22. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Argh. My job is horribly understaffed and it takes forever to train new people to be totally self-sufficient, so until then, I'm one of the people working 40+ hours while also going to school full time. Fun stuff.

Also, my roommates are messy people. I don't care if they confine the mess to their rooms, but they also mess up the kitchen and bathroom and don't clean after themselves. I understand we all work and go to school, but it took me maybe 20 minutes to wipe down the stovetop and counters, put away clean dishes and tidy up a bit - and none of that mess was mine. I get being tired, but whenever I cook I always clean up immediately after. It's not hard. It's frustrating, but every time I say something, I get shut down.

23. Masterspeler

Masterspeler Active Member

Im unhappy about the internet. Im worried that we may have to be subjected to other nations idea of free speech, if they even have it. I wont go into the whole political aspect, and what I know (as far as no such freedom being acknowledged)

It figures that now, when I decide to be a writer, something like this happens, where my work may even be stolen and not given copyright, with no due process, just because books are digital and online these days. It was one thing to be monitored, and quite another to be censored to the lowest common denominator of global speech standards.

AB

24. Crybaby

Crybaby Active Member

Wow!
    That's great. I was in the same place as you, but got laid off :superwhew:saved by a greater force.
    I think there are many people in this world who would never admit to what you just did. It takes courage and you did it. Thank God your manager was understanding enough to let you step down. Other managers elsewhere might have taken a more negative view.
    All is good. :friend:

Lea`Brooks likes this.
  25. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    So I just went to a friend's art exhibition, and I was all primed to come back and post:

An Amusing Anecdote About Things Going Contrary To Expectations

but then I stopped off at a gyu-don (beef bowl) restaurant on the way home to get a bit of dinner.

Ordered what I always do, and, having been disappointed before, I know that no matter how well I speak Japanese, things can get fucked up, so I also held up the menu and pointed directly at the item I wanted.

Yeah, the wrong thing came.

Yeah, this is a common occurrence at fast food, no matter where you go, but I checked my ticket, and she'd keyed it in wrong, or decided to repeat my order to me and then key in something else, or....

Does it matter?

The

Gaijin

Is

Always

WRONG.

Not even worth arguing over, what she gave me was cheaper than what I ordered, but I'm really, really, sick of this shit.

Tempered with the knowledge that I can, and plan to, "go back to where I came from".

Self-inflicted first world problems.

Crybaby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.