The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    So I don't know if it's (finally) growing up or depression or just something random, but tonight was Halloween (observed)and... Put together a pretty good costume from some bits and bobs of previous years, but all day I was just sitting thinking that I'd almost rather stay home. Got all dolled up, and headed into town where I met a couple of buddies that I usually see on Halloween. The park was full, lots of people, lots of costumes, and....

Meh.

Halloween (observed) is the one night a year I have permission from Mrs. A to go out, unchaperoned, and not come home until morning.

Got to town at about 9 pm, and caught the last train home at midnight.

I thought I would stop by my local, in costume, for a couple of drinks before he closed, so I took a taxi from the station to the bar.

Which was closed. I forgot he has an event tomorrow, so tonight's a night off (sole owner/operator bar).

So I headed back home to surprise Mrs. A.

Who decided that, since I wasn't going to be home, she'd go see her family (who only live a couple train stops away). Not an angry thing, I get along great with her folks, just not something I knew she was doing, so it's a dark and empty apartment.

Had I known, I would have gutted it out until 5 am (first train).

Meh.

G'night.

2. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

A night for gothic masturbatorthon, and bottle of Baileys?

jannert likes this.
  3. matwoolf

Arsetalk deleted [fireworks v halloween]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  4. Jarvis XIX

Jarvis XIX Member

Ligyrophobia is a twat, especially when it's bonfire night and the surrounding fortnight...

5. matwoolf

I suppose so. Same with the fuckin poppies on every politician and presenter, eh?

[​IMG]

Jarvis XIX likes this.
  6. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

My brother has decided that he would rather remain homeless than accept help for his heroin addiction. My heart is completely broken for him. The holidays are coming up. It's about to get cold outside. And there's nothing I can do.

jannert, Kara Gatsby and matwoolf like this.
  7. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear that, it is never nice to witness, especially if its a family member. I sincerely hope that something can be done to help him in time.

No-Name Slob likes this.
  8. Kara Gatsby

Kara Gatsby Member

Addiction is such a cruel asshole. I'm sorry.

I know this is the sad thread and I don't want to make light of the situation, but at least Texas tends to be halfhearted about the whole cold winter thing.

No-Name Slob likes this.
  9. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

There is something you can do.
    You don't deal with a heroin addict by feeling sorry for yourself, or him. You need to intervene in his life. If he doesn't accept treatment for his addiction, then have him arrested. That's how I dealt with a friend's addiction many years ago. Today he's doing fine and has never returned to his old life. You have no idea how overmatched you are when it comes to heroin.

Shattered Shields likes this.
  10. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

Lol. I've been "intervening" in his life for the past 4 years. He has gone to treatment several times and spent nine months in prison. And how exactly am I going to have him arrested? Calling and saying, "hey Dallas police department, I know you're super on top of the homeless situation based on the enormous amount of panhandlers I see all the time, so I'd like you to know that my brother is out there somewhere and doing drugs, similarly to 90% of the other homeless in Dallas. Please get a task force to investigate and arrest him"?

Very unlikely.

I'm very glad jail helped your friend, but he was the exception. Jail is not a rehabilitation program, and very rarely does it help people get their life back in track and stay sober. It hasn't for my brother the MANY times he went to jail, or prison. Intervening in his life right now means enabling him.

He's going to have to want to get clean for himself. And I do feel sorry for him. He's screwed his life up royally. I'm also very much within my rights to feel sad that someone I love has done so. I do know how unmatched I am. I'm not new at this.

11. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

I hope that it works out for you, and I agree, there's only so much we can do to influence other people, especially in regards to something like addiction. I'll be hoping to hear better news, hopefully soon.

No-Name Slob likes this.
  12. Desmond Curry

Desmond Curry New Member

Seattle is grey and wet this time of year. I feel bad for all the people that suffer from seasonal depression living here. They probably need lamps, and sleep in tanning beds to keep themselves sane. This time of year's when the private parts on mammals get so cold that everybody's desperate for a warm partner before December so they don't get left in the freezer to fend for themselves. The crafty go-getter knows of the upcoming change in temperature long before it happens and gets em while it's hot, leaving the procrastinator abandoned to dwell in personal fatigue and desperation without a drop left for us fools who wasted our time meaninglessly on pretentious words and loose strings of beautiful thoughts devoid of any action or purpose. We let them all die before they where ever really born casting off every opportunity. People love to give to someone who needs something, especially if it's something someone doesn't want openly... That's the idea anyway. To try and fail and try again, that's the righteous path! The pursuit of happiness and money and pussy and dick and all that shit. You can't resent someone who went out his way to get something just because he has more than you. WRONG! We all do... Even the go-getters and the righteous procrastinators. We all hate it when someone is better than us at getting what we want (unless they share.) We hate someone who is better at doing what we do because they seem more functional than us. They don't even carry the heavy burden of resentment we do because they don't see us as a threat. Contempt perhaps, but featherweight compared to our resentments. Fuck him with his hot girlfriend and his nice car and his great job and his nice suit... I don't need a suit. Fuck him.

13. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Copy/pasted from my blog here:

DISCLAIMER: I'm extremely protective of my identity online -- so much so that I once tricked another forum into thinking I was from France. Well, I tricked at least one forum-goer, not sure about the rest.

So believe me that when I'm suddenly revealing to you all what city in the US I'm from, you know shit's hit the fan in a nuclear way:

Remember way back in June how I told you a black teen was shot by a police officer in my hometown?

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2016/11/mobile_da_michael_moore_case.html

Well, um... yeah the grand jury said the officer responsible hadn't done anything wrong and won't face charges. Of course, the teen's family strongly disagrees and will look elsewhere -- even file a civil right's claim. My worry is, well...

The last couple of times this happened, there were wide-scale riots. I'm worried history will, yet again, repeat itself here, in my hometown. In Mobile. I'm not sure whether this betrays my apparent lack of faith in humanity, but I don't see how history could not repeat itself. It's like there's a step-by-step procedure:

Step #1: Something bad happens.

Step #2: "BURN ALL THE THINGS!!!111"

Step #3: "We must ensure this never happens again."

Step #4: Return to Step #1.

It's like we're more interested in looking for a reason to burn shit down than to actually fix problems.

So that's what I'm afraid of. :/ I'll be keeping an eye on things and posting updates.

14. Miller0700

Miller0700 Contributor Contributor

Our city's public transportation department went on strike today. The subway and city buses are shut down until further notice. I took the regional rails to school. Half of the class didn’t show up due to the trains and buses being suspended due to the strike. I’m surprised our professor didn't just didn’t let us go. Getting home was hell. The train station was crowded and loud with various staff directing the traffic. Lines to various trains extended around corners and down the halls. I didn’t feel like waiting in line all day so I was going to contact an uber driver, but the price of getting home was almost $30 dollars and carpooling would cost $42 dollars. Getting to my old job, FedEx, from my house would be around $30 dollars and FedEx is almost three times as far away from my school. I thought they said they would reduce the pricing due to the strike. Apparently not. I almost didn't make it home on the next available train. When I got on it was overly crowded. Tons of people had to stand in the aisles. When the train got at my stop I had to fight my way out of the crowd. The train almost took off anyway.

15. Link the Writer

Still worried about the state of my hometown. I'm sure the violence and riots won't happen here but...recent trends with this shit leads me to conclude the exact opposite. I'll keep you all posted because damn I don't like this. D:

jannert and Catrin Lewis like this.
  16. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

@KaTrian any truth to what I heard once, that Finnish inexplicably has words and grammar in common with Korean?

jannert likes this.
  17. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

If Korean is:
    Fusional
    Agglutinative
    A bitch to learn
    Relatively loan-word free
    Vocabulary-wise has nothing in common with anything else

Then yes! :D

I don't know anything about Korean, though. The closest and most similar languages are Estonian and Hungarian.

jannert likes this.
  18. Link the Writer

The only few words I know from the Asian region of the world are from Japan.

19. Lew

jannert and KaTrian like this.
  20. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

My calico cat who owned me the past 18 years died in her sleep early Monday morning.

I'm not the type who can take the body to the vet's, say, "Take care of it," and walk away. So I've dug a grave in the backyard and knocked together a little casket. I've bought some plush fabric with pictures of kittens on it to wrap her in, and commissioned and picked up a brass plaque with her name and dates on it.

But because my house is so chilly, it's taking forever for her to come out of rigor mortis. I guess I should have made the hole and the casket bigger, but there's so many tree roots in my yard it'd be difficult to dig anything much larger. So I have to wait until her little corpse relaxes so I can compose her into a nice kitty ball and put her in her coffin.

Meanwhile, there she lies in the spare bedroom, and I check every so often to see if she's ready. It's hard because even though she was 18 she never got that skinny, bedraggled, elderly cat look. She was plump (8.6 lbs) and fluffy to the end. And the longer she lies there looking like she's merely asleep, some stupid, fantasizing part of me wants to say, "All right, baby, that's enough with the playing around. Get up now and come have your dinner."

21. Lady Fickle

Lady Fickle Member

Lady Fickle is a hater.

Imagine a bunch of people flocking around the fountains in the city garden to listen to a symphonic orchestra and opera singing. Lady Fickle will stand near, bend to you and drop in your ear: “This music is from a time, when people had no nerves!“ Children playing in the fountains she watches slightly surprised, for she had never had such an adventurous soul. In fact she is not very fascinated with children. Lady Fickle is a hater – when she was a kid, she dreamt of a kite, and when she recently saw a kite show in the center of the city – that could not distract her from her pancake with broccoli. All that really entertains her is food.

22. Lew

Karen and I are devoted cat people, and we have had to bury several long term feline family members, and done many of the things you did.

Cats have a reputation for independence, aloofness and unsociability, things we have never observed in our friends... so sympathy to you!

jannert and Catrin Lewis like this.
  23. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I've lived a traveling life for the last nearly thirty years, so it's been my fortune and misfortune to never have to experience the death of any of my (family's) cats.

I know it sounds strange, but I envy you at the moment. They've all gone on without me to whisper a farewell, except in private. My dad, for whatever reason (and he has other problems to deal with) didn't even let me know when the last of them died; I came home after three years looking for my little buddy-monster, only to learn that he wasn't there anymore, and hadn't been for some time.

Came here prepared to vent about something current.

Not now.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  24. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

My cousin was shot over the weekend. I don't know much (because I find out through fucking social media), but apparently he'd been out with friends at an abandoned property. The owner found them and somehow ended up shooting.

My cousin took a bullet to the stomach, lung, and heart. It was touch and go for a while (he had to be resuscitated at least once), but word is he's stable at the moment and has been responding to questions with nods.

I just can't believe something like this happened. He's only 16. He's a kid -- a kid. A good kid at that. He's on the basketball and football teams in high school. Never been arrested or anything. And he lives in a safe, quiet town in the sticks of Illinois. Why did that owner start shooting? Why can't people just call the police and wait in their houses like they used to? Maybe then he wouldn't have been shot.

Our family and their town has been rocked by this. Fortunately, it's a very close community, and his parents have tons of support. And now that he's stable, there's hope for a smooth recovery. I'll know more tonight or tomorrow hopefully.

Gareth MH and jannert like this.
  25. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Bloody hell. Awful.

Gareth MH and GingerCoffee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.