The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    One of my favorite fraggings. Don't want to go all spoiler-y, but that whole section was handled beautifully.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I quite like "sand in the wind" (Robert Roth) for the bit where the company collectively takes out a bounty on their Captain and CSM

3. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I'm just pissed at the whole international publishing system. There are a couple of books that I'd like to re-read, but my collection (so to speak) is either in a box in my mother's barn (which is safe, dry, well maintained and rodent-free) or my dad's garage (which is none of the above).

The books in question seem to no longer be in print, and I'm not paying >$40USD for a mass market paperback, not that important to me. However, they are available on Amazon Kindle, which, due to space constraints, is my preferred medium these days.

Available, that is, if you're in the UK. Not available on US Kindle, which is where my account is, or Japanese Kindle, which is where I live.

Note to authors (self included)(should be a note to publishing companies, but they won't listen): If your book is available legally for sale in electronic format, but geographically limited by the publisher (not, for example, banned in the country in question), I will stop looking for ways to pay for it, but continue looking for ways to read it.

Malisky likes this.
  4. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Haven't read that one. Worth it?

The Damage Done by Warren Fellows has got some interesting episodes with prisoners in Bangkok taking care of guards who went out of their way to be PITAs.

5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    @Iain Aschendale it might be due to the author or representative party not allowing it.
    You can select where you will allow your ebook to be seen, and where you don't on amazon.
    Sucks when they do crap like that.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'd have said so its about the 5th marines at An Hoa during the vietnam war

7. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Yeah, Charles Stross has commented quite a bit on the vagaries of these things, and it seems it's usually not the author. The publishing system is still stuck in the brick and mortar and paper years, legally, when it made more sense to sign a UK contract and a UK contract, for example, and have the books printed at separate facilities by separate companies than it did to ship crates of printed books from one country to another. The licensing in still in place despite the fact that electronic "shipping" is almost literally zero-cost.

8. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Right, I'll try and take a look. For Vietnam non-fiction, Hell in a Very Small Place by Bernard Fall (or pretty much anything else he wrote) is amazing. It's been a long time since I've read it, but it's a rare author that can, in one paragraph, explain the tactical significance of possession of a burned-out cargo plane on the flightline, and then move to the UN Security Council deliberations on the next page.

9. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

There was this special Hairspray musical on T.V. last night that the channel had spent the past three weeks or so hyping up. I finally figured out why when roughly an hour and a half of the three hour special was commercials.

Looks like its back to Nextflix and HBO for me, where at least the advertising is subliminal and wont waste my time.

10. big soft moose

I'll have a look at that one - my favorite non fiction for Vietnam so far is Dispatches, Michael Herr.

"Ten guys went up the mountain. Only one came back and he died before he could tell us what happened " The sergeant said

"What happened ?" I asked

The sergeant gave me a look clearly reserved for new incountry reporters, the look that said "how are you that stupid ?"

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  11. big soft moose

You could set up a UK amazon kindle account using an uk based IP proxy ,

http://free-proxy-list.net/uk-proxy.html

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  12. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    @Iain Aschendale well that sucks guy. Sorry that things on that side of it are so bogged down.

13. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
  14. Miller0700

Miller0700 Contributor Contributor

Today I got on the city's regional rails because where I worked the stop I need to get off at was across the street from where I worked. Like I always did when I got on the train I showed my weekly transit pass. The ticket guy said that it wouldn’t do because I had the wrong pass. He told me weekly passes can only be used for going to the airport (which I wasn't going to today) or on weekends. He said we “had this conversation” on Monday and I was like "Um, no we didn’t. I never saw you before and even if I did I didn’t use the regional rails on Monday." I thought he was joking at first, but he was serious.

He told me to look on the back of the pass and I didn’t see anything about not being able to use them on regional rails. I told him that none of the other ticket people in the past told me that I was using the wrong pass while using the regional rails, but he said he was doing his job for “28 years” and that this “was the last time I’m going to say this to you” before leaving. He let me get off at my stop anyway.

Before heading to my job I stopped at a customer service station to verify what he said. He was right that I had a weekly pass and not a trail pass which could be used to ride the regional rail. More research and I found out that weekly/monthly passes and trail passes look exactly alike, but that was the ticket people’s fault for not asking me if the pass I had was actually a trail pass or not. More importantly, why would you make the two passes look alike in the first place if the mess I went through today could happen? Looks like I won’t be using the regional rails for a while.

15. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Aw man, the first mention of the cat in the book is when they have to kill it. Yeah, it was a hundred years ago, but still.

16. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

I think... I have a food allergy. A few weeks ago, I woke up in the middle of the night to throw up. Happened two nights in a row. Then last night, I woke up at 2am to throw up.. And didn't stop throwing up until 7. I ate nothing yesterday that was bad or questionable or new. Except cereal. And I had eaten that same cereal the first time I threw up. I've eaten it since then with no reaction, but maybe that was just luck.

My body is so broken.

17. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

OK, that officially sucks. :(

18. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Bad milk?

Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  19. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Nope. :( It smells and tastes fine and doesn't expire for another week.

20. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Shit, just got an email that my supervisor at one of my part time jobs just passed away. Due to the nature of the job, I only saw her a couple times a year, so we weren't close, but she was a nice lady and easy to work for.

Bummer.

Cave Troll and Carly Berg like this.
  21. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

I'm just having a dilemma about the "glass half full - glass half empty" thing. Yesterday as I was going to work completely penniless I found 20 eu on the street. I felt like :supershock:then :supercheeky: and then :superyesh:.

Today I lost the 10 eu change as it seems they have fallen out of my pocket at some point without my notice. I noticed them missing while I was on the elevator and felt like :superfrown: then :supermad: and then :cry:. I had a Kylo Ren moment in that confined space.
    It kind of feels like my old signature: First it giveth then I fucketh away.

22. hollo

hollo New Member

So, i have a burn out and i'm sick at home because of it.
    it sucks

matwoolf likes this.
  23. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Too much coffee in my system.
    Anxiety on overdrive.
    Exhausted from the week.
    I just want to crawl into bed and not wake up until next Thursday. :(

24. Lewdog

Was it your husband? Because I need a place to hang out with a hot tub. :supercheeky:

matwoolf likes this.
  25. Lewdog

If you would have had bacon you would would have had at least 5 guys following you. Just saying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.