The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    You know when you're chewing and somehow you manage to bite your tongue or cheek? I just succeeded in biting a tooth, and I think I chipped it.

What the hell...

2. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

This has been a really bad fucking start to 2017.

1) My roommate has been unemployed since November and recently announced that he only has enough money left to survive one more month.

2) My husband lost his job in a mass layoff.

3) I found out yesterday I may have a breast cyst and need an ultrasound to confirm. However, with my husband losing his job, we no longer have health insurance so I can't get it checked.

4) I've been unintentionally losing weight and need to have blood drawn to ensure I don't have a thyroid issue.

5) No one at my job does any work and it has been falling on me more than I'd like.

6) Trump is president.

I'm fucking over it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    jannert likes this.
  3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear that, Lea'Brooks. :(

4. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

I feel so anxious about a personal situation and reading the news and what Trump has been doing only adds to the feeling. :(

Iain Aschendale and Lea`Brooks like this.
  5. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Went to fuel my car this morning and managed to lock my credit card because I mistyped the PIN code. Went back to the car, like, fuck it, I'll drive to work on fumes then and fill the tank with the extra gas I have in the trunk (the gas station was so busy I didn't want to start fumbling around with the jerry can there). Tried to start the car. Nothing, nada.

The battery warning symbol glares red.

So of course I'm like, did I leave the headlights on for the night (next to impossible because the car alerts you about the lights if you open the driver side door after removing the key)?! Have I not been driving long-enough distances so the battery hasn't had time to charge up? So there I am, stuck next to the pump, other cars queuing to get their tanks filled. I try and try to start the car, nothing. So then I go to the gas station staff and ask if they can help me push the car to the side... Some burly guy and the cashier lady come to help me. I sit in the car and go, "I'll just try one more time..." Lo and behold, the bugger starts!

Then I remember something else.

I tried to use my credit card with the PIN code of my apartment building's front door.

Fail, thy name is Kat. :(:oops:

I'm sorry to hear about all this. :( Hang in there. I'm sure your husband will find a new source of income eventually. Just stick together and help each other through the tough times, it'll make things a little bit more bearable. :) As for the cyst, that can be really scary. Just wait for the doctor to have a look at it. It's always possible it's benign.

Catrin Lewis and jannert like this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

That's kind of a perfect storm, isn't it?

Have you tried contacting any women's health clinics that would advise somebody who doesn't have health insurance? As your loss of insurance just happened, and was outwith your control, they might be able to offer advice as to what to do next. There might be charities set up to help women in your situation. I know a friend of mine in the USA got help via a charity for a heart problem she experienced a few years ago, when she had no money to pay for her treatment.

7. Lea`Brooks

I honestly never thought of that. I'll look into it, thanks.

I can get health insurance through my job. But it's expensive, and since I'm part time, it'll be almost my entire paycheck. It really, really sucks.

jannert likes this.
  8. jannert

See if you can do it ASAP - don't let the breast cyst (hopefully it is just that) become a 'pre-existing condition' that won't be covered.

9. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    The heater in my classroom is broken again.

At least I'm wearing a wool suit.

Cold....

10. Lea`Brooks

I miss not having a roommate.

I miss being able to talk to my husband about personal stuff without someone butting in and asking what I'm talking about.

I miss being in a room by myself.

I miss ordering/cooking food for two people instead of three.

I miss cleaning up after only myself.

I miss being able to have serious, marriage related discussions with my husband in any room.

I miss having space in the coat closet.

I miss being able to eat everything I buy for myself.

I miss having an extra room for storage.

But most of all, I just miss being alone with my husband... Too bad we can't afford this place without our roommate.

11. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Ugh, bought the wrong kind of beer by accident. Kirin Green Label, instead of Kirin Lager.

Well, if there's one thing I'm good at, it's powering my way through a six pack :)

12. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I know the feeling. Once I bought a beer that I thought was Andygator, but wasn't. The mistake was that both looked exactly the same!!

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  13. A.V.K.

A.V.K. Member

So I'm disapointed in some friends. I've let them know on several occasions that I appreciate them contacting me back within the month if I give them a call to try to make plans. I'm always the ones that makes the plans or otherwise initiates group hangouts. That's become really tiring lately. I'm disappointing that I let my friends know, in clear terms, that hearing from them and getting a reply is important to me, but apparently it's not important enough to them. I even pre-supposed all that by saying something like, "if you're really not up for a full conversation, just shoot me a one-word "codeword" that lets me know that you're out if it and that's cool." I don't want my friends to feel somehow beholden to me, but at the same time I just feel like I'm ignored. This has gone on for more than two years now of me always being the one to initiate literally anything.

Now I'm just not going to call at all because I'm tired of being disappointed or waiting anxiously for no reply.

jannert likes this.
  14. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Blah, Internet and cable just went down. Some error message on the TV that I can't read, and Mrs. A is helping out her folks for a bit.

I'm on my phone, that’s how.

15. Arcadeus

Arcadeus Senior Member

Lets see... in the past week.
    Wife's sister dies in a car wreck.
    Wife spends too much money on plants/other stuff we don't need, as part of her coping process.
    Might not be able to pay for health insurance.
    My whole command structure in my military unit blamed me when the Command Sergeant Major asked why my reclass isn't finished. I have had the class available to me for a little over a month. They signed me up for the wrong class and didn't give any guidance regardless of me asking each drill. (It took about a year for them to sign me up correctly... which took me finding out what the correct course is.)
    They told me, a couple days after I informed them that my wife's sister died and I needed the drill weekend off so I can comfort her, that I had until May to finish the re-class course or they are kicking me out.
    I want to leave the reserve due to the stress of the situation, but my wife depends on the healthcare.
    I can hardly read and write, my mind is a bucket of waterlogged biscuits.

16. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I think I'm broken.

17. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I have a QBox with Kodi loaded on it so I get to watch a lot of streaming movies and TV. I saw the movie "Spilt" was up so I clicked on it and the movie was pretty good quality. I watched for 15 minutes... no James McAvoy. 30 minutes in... still no James McAvoy. A full hour in and still no kidnap and no James McAvoy. The movie is only an hour and 30 minutes long.... so I go to IMDB and guess what? There is a 2016 Rom-Com movie about a chick into guys that bowl... called Split. I wasted an hour of my life.

matwoolf likes this.
  18. jannert

I've been grinching, recently, over the same issue. I don't mind if people take ages to get back to me regarding ordinary letters, messages, etc. But when we're trying to make plans, or confirming plans, and they don't return messages or calls? Grr.

This came up because I just wasted a whole day yesterday, worrying about a friend who isn't keeping well and whose husband is away on business for a week. She and I had agreed (her idea) that I would visit her yesterday afternoon, if she felt physically up for a visit. I am also the person who has the keycode to her house, so if something goes wrong and she pushes her panic button, it's me who gets the phone call. She has fainting fits and falls down fairly easily, and not long ago had a bad fall that gave her a concussion. So this isn't just ho-hum stuff. She can be in real bother, and if nobody is around, in real danger.

I sent her a message in the morning, asking if the visit was still on. Nada. Partway through the afternoon, I sent her another message saying it was obvious the visit wasn't on, and that was fine, but would she please contact me to let me know she was all right? By around 7pm, still not having heard from her—and she is usually very active on Facebook, and she hadn't surfaced there either—I phoned her. No answer. Just 'leave a voice message.' I was already getting my boots on, intending to phone a taxi to get myself across town to where she lives, when I decided to give the phone one more try. And she picked up. She was watching TV. She was tired, and hadn't wanted any visitors during the day, but she thanked me for looking after her, and said she didn't know why she'd missed the first call. I didn't even mention the messages I'd sent earlier. What's the point?

I was very cool, and gave her the benefit of the doubt, that she didn't understand I had been waiting around all day. But I WAS waiting around all day, and had cancelled something else I would have done, if this invitation to visit hadn't come up in the first place.

At some point, I'll need to have a conversation with her and lay down the law. I'm not the sort who demands constant contact, but she needs to be aware that people who have been asked to look after her welfare need to be kept in the loop. If that doesn't sit well, I'll relinquish my post as 'go to in emergency' person, and she can find another. I'm not prepared to let this happen again.

I'm in the middle of another, similar situation where a person wants to do stuff, phones me to make tentative plans—their initiative—then keeps me dangling. They will be off my list of people I make time for, if it happens one more time. I honestly don't understand why folks can't see that wasting somebody else's day, or days, is NOT what friends do. I can understand somebody forgetting a plan, but that only happens once in a blue moon. When it starts to happen a lot, I'm outta here.

A.V.K. and SimpleReason like this.
  19. SimpleReason

SimpleReason Member

It's frustrating and annoying. Good on you for keeping your cool in that situation. I've known people who have imploded when they went through similar situations.

I get days when I suddenly just reject any form of human communication. It's as if responding to people and interacting with them drains me of whatever little energy I have. It also feels like everything requires more effort to do. Even when wanting to be alone, If it so happens that I've made plans with someone previously, I make it an objective to atleast give them a heads up no matter how painful it is.

So far these moments are under control and I manage to push myself through the day with some effort now.

jannert likes this.
  20. jannert

Yeah, thanks for that. I'm an easy person to deal with, and if somebody says they can't do something, I don't argue with them. Especially, as in this case, when the possible glitch has already been established. I'd said to her beforehand, if you don't feel up to it, just let me know. How can that be interpreted as ...I'll just not bother? If she had said "OMG, I forgot!" that would have been okay. But she told me, after I finally managed to get hold of her, that she just hadn't felt up to it after all. Grrrr. Well, you get to do that to me once, and I'll give you another chance. But two times and out.

21. SimpleReason

SimpleReason Member

I was previously in a toxic relationship. I generally try not to dwell in the past. However, there are moments when even something like a song or even a number of other smaller things forces me to remember. I get this heavy feeling of regret and sadness. This is followed by me internally asking myself how I could've been so stupid to not realize things sooner before I was really attached. Though I know it seems trivial to most people and I should just take it as learning experience and move on, it still haunts me. Not as much as before but it still stings.

Maybe I need more time until these feelings eventually fade but I do know this for sure. That relationship messed me up. I am now a much colder person when it comes to meeting new people and it's something I never imagined I'd be. I have yet to determine whether this is a good thing or not.

Happy Valentines day.

jannert and Iain Aschendale like this.
  22. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I thought I'd found some long-term critique partners but nope. One of them took a strong dislike to me, for reasons I can't work out (and I like to think I'm pretty self-aware of my flaws) and she's making it more and more overt. So, I'm back to square 1.

I don't need anything fancy, just brainstorming partners. My search continues. :(

jannert likes this.
  23. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

are there not people on here who could help ( I found my long term critique partner on this forum) - I'd offer but i'm too busy already to take on another such comitment

Tenderiser likes this.
  24. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

WF is not the place to find romance writers. :D Thank you, though!

25. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

and i definitely couldn't crit partner a romance novel anyway ... i do blood , guts, guns and explosions... there is some romance in my books but its very much secondary to blowing shit up and killing the enemy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.