The Not Happy Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Wait - I thought you LIKED squeezing pus.

And if you'll misrepresent that, maybe you've misrepresented the rest, too. Let's turn that frown upside down! Yay, you have an insulin pump! And it almost always works! Yay!!! And the fault in your electrical system was discovered through a simple inconvenience rather than a dangerous fire! You're so lucky!!! We've already covered how super the pus-incident was (and isn't it GREAT that you're so good at pus squeezing? Go, you!). The gas leak on the stove also could have been disastrous, but is working out okay - let's face it, instant noodles are pretty damn tasty. And on top of all this, you got FREE ALCOHOL AT LUNCHTIME!!!

Super week, you! Way to go!

(Possibly I've misunderstood the nature of this thread...)

jannert, Catrin Lewis and Tenderiser like this.
  2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I am in no way complaining about the pus squeezing. :D It was the £70 that rankles, when I spent a bazillion pounds this month moving house. Into the one with faulty electrics and gas. Just waiting for something to go wrong with the plumbing.

I did have to try to look innocent at the vets.
    Vet: "Wow, you did a really good job. I can't get anything else out of here."
    In my head: "I have no idea why. It's not like I watch YouTube videos of abscesses being squeezed for fun..."

But seriously. That stench. I thought he'd managed to projectile-shit on his head, until I recalled that it smelled the same as Ted's abscess in 2009. The smell has stayed with me for eight years.

3. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Some people would pay anything to be told they're right. :supercheeky:

Glad it's only been a week of first-hand writing research, and not a terminal disaster. And good on you, that the new boss recognised your calibre and did something to make the situation not quite so awful for you.

jannert and Tenderiser like this.
  4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Oh crap, what a week of inconveniences. :( Maybe this week the universe gets all remorseful and decides to give you the best week ever!

And at least your boss sounds nice and seems to care about your well-being. :)

On a side note, I don't think I've ever even seen let alone used a gas oven. o_O

jannert likes this.
  5. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I love cooking with gas. I grew up on electric, both oven and stove, and gas just seems to heat up far quicker. I have a gas stove now, but an electric combination microwave/oven/grill thingy, and one other nice thing about the gas stove is that it doesn't draw from my poorly wired apartment's electrical feed. I think the whole place is on a single circuit; I'm ok running the rice cooker and the oven at the same time, but if the toaster oven gets added into the mix, or Mrs. A fires up her hair dryer, well, I know how to find the breaker switch in the dark....

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

And now I'm beginning to wonder if whoever wired your and Tenderiser's apartments/houses was drunk on the job. :ohno:

I don't really cook at home, so our stove is basically there just to make the kitchen look more like a kitchen.

7. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

Our power supply is riddled with faults in the underground cable. I woke up at 5:30am to no power and this is the third time such thing happened. The first time this happened it took 13 hours to give us reliable power, so the supplier owes my landlord compensation. I threw out our open meat and dairy just to be safe.

Oh, and I didn't start work on time because my colleague took my work boots instead of his.

8. Catrin Lewis

That's why I like a gas cooker. When the power goes out, l light that baby with a match and cook up all that open meat and nom away on it.

I remember hearing that during the big Northeast USA-Southeast Canada blackout of 2003, restaurants were cooking up all the meat in their freezers and giving it away on the street.

9. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I don't know about restaurants, but I know my neighbourhood had a huge block party with gas grills, just meat-meat-meat.

10. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

If it's not grilled chicken, turkey, fish, or shrimp, I don't eat meat.

11. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Woo-hoo! Meat!

12. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

I realized today that I'm basically an observer in my life. I don't care about anything past my curiosity as to what happens next, and how that fits in with everything else.
    On the plus side, I have a ton of work to do tonight that i'm not going to do, so it'll be fun to see how I deal with that.

13. Link the Writer

That's how I am. I'm an observer, and I guess I'm OK with that...

Help me.

14. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

yeah i feel that - currently I've entered a don't GAF mode - which makes life a lot easier at work, the boss thinks i can't do anything right so fuck him.

15. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I don't know whether this belongs in "Not Happy" or "Publishing", but damn am I pissed at Baen right now. I went a-googling a few days ago for a half remembered line from a forgotten book, and found it. Not just the line, but the book itself was available, legit, to read online from Baen. Mindkiller, by Spider Robinson. I read it when I was much too young to know what it was about, but my parents always believed in letting me read whatever I wanted, and it was something my dad had finished.

So I start happily reading away, little bits and pieces coming back to me as I do, but most of the book didn't get saved in my memory banks, so it's an almost all new read for me.

Happy Iain.

Until I discover that it's just a sample, but what a sample. Twelve chapters in the book, and the first nine are available for free.

Well shit, I like this book, and while I do like free, I also don't mind paying and supporting artists, especially fellow (ahem) authors, so I pop over to the website to buy the book, which I find is actually Book One of a trilogy.

Way cool, there's a lot more to come!

And only $6.00!

Mindkiller.png

Wait, what? It's out of print, I get it. But you used to sell it in a downloadable, DRM-free form, but you don't anymore?

You won't take my money?

I've done my due diligence, checked Amazon etc, and I will finish that book and its sequels, but it doesn't look like money will be changing accounts.

Sorry Spider.

16. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Don't you love it when you have a fistful of money and people don't want to take it?

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  17. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Not quite a fistful, but a good solid two, maybe even three finger gripful, yeah.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  18. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

we clearly have the title for a new Clint Eastwood film "a good solid two or three finger gripful of dollars"

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  19. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Ordered a book of poetry a few days ago, from a company called (maybe I shouldn't say) on amazon. It was a collection of William Carlos Williams' poetry and I was so looking forward to it arriving.

Just had an email to say it was 'damaged in transit' and no longer fit for sale. This is the second time this company has used this excuse, and it's perfectly clear to me that on both occasions they discovered they didn't actually have the book in stock when it came to processing the order, but were reluctant to admit this was the case.

I'm now going to have to go hunting for it elsewhere and order it all over again (if I can find another copy). The damn thing would probably have arrived tomorrow!

jannert likes this.
  20. Link the Writer

This picture says it all, frankly.

At dermatologist office to get my skin checked.

Attached Files:

21. Catrin Lewis

If you had to choose between paying your natural gas bill and buying new tires for your car because the ones on it now are, according to your mechanic, about to blow, but you don't want to get your gas shut off and freeze your pipes, which would you choose?

22. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

The gas bill because there's always public transport.

23. Catrin Lewis

To my night job, maybe, yes. To my day job, no. :bigfrown:

24. ajaye

ajaye Senior Member

Can you get a payment plan on one/both? Maybe consider good condition 2nd hand tyres for the interim?

25. Link the Writer

I'm still moderately pissed at another forum-goer here for something that happened last month. I've taken to annoying that person via PM, but I'm amazed and appalled at how utterly childish I'm behaving. :[ Damn, I can be quite the vindictive, passive-aggressive person sometimes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.