1. Slappydappy

Slappydappy New Member

Starting a story with the character already in love

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Slappydappy, Jan 31, 2012.

In the story I am writing, the protagonist begins the story already in love with his significant other. They are even set to be married. However, the adventure that pulls the character away, also pulls him away from his love. From then on, they can only communicate sparsely through the story, straining the relationship. Then the hero meets another girl on his adventure, much more sensual, much more alluring. And thus the tug of war on his heart begins. One that lasts for the rest of the story. However, he resists this second female, only to return, transformed, to his original love. His childhood friend and soul mate. But he is changed and gains a new and deeper understanding of his love for her, and love in general.

Has this premise been used successfully? I couldn't think of any stories, but I'm sure it's been done.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Do you mean the "boy sees girl, boy wants girl, they get involved, boy loses girl, boy fights to get her back" story? And we enter the story when they start getting involved. Nah, no one has ever written that ;).

What do you care how many times it has been told? Did it feel new to you in your head? Yes? Then write it that way, so it feels new to the reader too.

Do you think knowing the formula has ever stopped someone from watching and enjoying a romantic comedy? No, because you get involved in the characters.

Screw originality. Tell an old and venerable story, and tell it well.

3. Wes

Wes Member

Stephen King touched on it in the book version of The Mist. I like the idea personally. But what exactly do you mean transformed and changed?

4. Miss Moon Jelly

Miss Moon Jelly New Member

It might be a silly example, but this is the exact course the romance takes in the fifth installment of the Monkey Island adventure game series, though the romance with the original love interest was established earlier in the series. The format in Monkey Island was very different from that of a novel, so it might not count as an example, but you definitely have an interesting idea with a lot of potential. The way in which Monkey Island went wrong was that the original love interest wasn't established as strongly as the second love interest, so the player connected more with the second love interest and was dissappointed when the protagonist returned to the original love interest, but this is a problem that could be avoided if watched out for.

5. jc.

jc. Member

Mm, I can't place my finger on the exact title but when when I was young my Dad was in the Navy. My mom would read romance novels because of this, and there was one in particular about a soldier who left for war. The soldier fell in love with a nurse but realized in his journey that he would always love the woman back home who was waiting for him, so he came home and married her.

Sorry, I was like fourteen when I secretly read the book. But was it awesome? I thought so at that age. I'm sure my mom did too.

6. Kallithrix

Kallithrix Banned

Jilly Cooper - it's one of the sub plots in Riders. Jake Lovell is married to a plump country girl who has always been head over heels in love with him, and although he is fond of her, he mainly married her because she had the money and means to help him on his way to showjumping stardom. Then on the show jumping circuit Jake meets the beautiful American wife of his arch rival, and starts a passionate affair. He is totally smitten, but it destroys his wife when he leaves and she becomes a hollow shadow of her former self. When he sees what he has done to her, he feels terrible guilt but also realises he actually does love her, and goes back to her.

Not precisely the same as the plot you describe, but it's close enough :)

But like Cogito said, it really doesn't matter if it's been done before. Just write your own version of it and make it a darn goodun.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto what cog said!

8. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Riders!!! :D such a long time!!! I liked that one, (basically because it had a relevant setting to me, since I was in the same business myself back then) but it seems like in another life that I read it. :D