1. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Erik-the-Enchanter! Banned Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Love Poems

The Old Kingdom: Darkness Rising (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Erik-the-Enchanter!, Feb 7, 2017.

Welcome all to the Old Kingdom discussion thread.

Ye may cometh here to recount greate doings and saeyings from the Old Kingdom role-play game.

Ye must not forgette to sendeth Character Templates to GM before posting.

Drinketh and be merry!

2. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    My teen character's template, for anyone who needs an example:

Name: Alex Wilder
    Appearance: Thin, sharp black eyes, brown skin, short curly hair, naturally arched eyebrows, long hands, black hoodie, slim-fitting black jeans, and purple Converse sneakers.
    Spells List:
    1. Pendulum of Doom: A giant scythe-like pendulum appears and swings through the air toward any obstacle.
    2. Flaming Skull: Summons a flaming skull that flies at an attacker and tries to clamp on to them.
    3. Tombstone: Raises a tombstone out of the ground that can be used as a barrier or a shield.
    Personality: Alex is a quiet, intense guy, choosing his words with care before speaking. He is not quick to trust, but once he does, he is loyal to the end. He loves macabre horror films and old poetry, and it manifests clearly in his magic. His humor is very dry and he becomes defensive and unpredictable when cornered.
    Other: Alex secretly loves vampire lore.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  3. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Name: Drake Goldman
    Age (16):
    Appearance: Medium height. Very skinny. Pale skin and dark hair. Slightly crooked nose, brown eyes.
    Spells List:
    1. Teleport: Just as it says on the tin. Though Drake can only teleport to places he's already been, which he can clearly picture in his mind.
    2. Vita ex Machina: This spell allows Drake to control objects from far, like telekenesis, and also give them a small amount of sentience. This only allows them to do what they are designed to do, however. For example, a broom will sweep the floor on it's own accord and a pen will write his homework, and a TV will switch channels. But a Tv won't jump off and start hitting people.
    3. Time stop: His most complex spell to date. Not nessecary a time - stop, as Drake will simply remove himself from the flow of time and into a parralel dimention. In this flow he can move around the world but he can't physically alter anything in the physical world. He can stay in this demention for one hour at a time. Once the time stop is over, he will return to his exact position as before he stopped time.
    Personality: Drake is a lazy kid. There's nothing he'd rather do that just go home, watch some TV, download a movie check out the new game and go to sleep. He invented the time stop spell just so that he can sleep some more. Apart from that he is a smart person, who would have been able to do well in school had he bothered to study. He has quite a few mates, but lack loyalty for any of them to truly be a good friend. He is selfish.
    Favorite Subject: Math, for some wierd reason. He's just good at it.
    Other: Born in the OK, his parents are legendary for being the only ones to manage to escape that kingdom. Now they live under a disguise so deep that his mind was wiped from any memory of the old kingdom, including his old name

4. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Okay, I'm just waiting for three more people to post before I get the story rolling! Hype, hype, hype! Lol.

5. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Well, I made my post, so I'm still waiting

6. Bewitched

Bewitched Banned

Here we go on another whirlwind adventure. Let's see what Erik has planned for us this time around, lulz. :p

Name: Trisana Moonglow Starchild
    Appearance: Slender frame, long blue-dyed hair, big blue eyes, wears lots of vintage clothes and antique jewelry, and doesn't wear shoes to stay "connected to the earth".
    Spells List:
    1. Pretty Bubbles: Trisana can blow a bubble made of light that can trap an attack spell, an arrow, or an inanimate object inside it. The bubble pops in five seconds and she can only blow one at a time. If anyone else touches the bubble it will pop instantly, but she can hold it and move it around without any trouble.
    2. Shiny Sword: Summons a light sword that is extremely hot. It can melt through armor like a hot knife through butter.
    3. Rainbow of Terror: With this extremely powerful spell, Trisana can create a rainbow that sprouts from her hand in a wide arch. She can direct the rainbow where to land, and whatever it lands on is crushed with incredible force. This spell is capable of squashing trees, small huts, cars, animals, and even people.
    Favorite Subject: Art, even though she's failing miserably. No matter what the teacher tells them to do, she always draws unicorns.
    Personality: Trisana is bubbly, kind and understanding (a result of her free-spirited hippie up-bringing), but she's also spacey and gets easily distracted. She's very flighty and impulsive as well, and won't think twice about picking up a sacred golden monkey in a Mayan temple and accidentally triggering a disastrous boobie trap.

7. Silent Lion

Silent Lion Active Member

This should be fun. My first writingforums RP! (everyone say "aww")

Name: Andreas Cellaro
    Age (13-17): 15
    Appearance: Your stereotypical Hispanic male - black hair, dark eyes, thick eyebrows. Slight/Medium build, likes to wear jeans and a loose t-shirt.
    Spells List:
    1. Grind: With an open hand outstretched towards the target, a football-sized area will grind itself up. The tougher the material, the more time it takes to have any real effect. Any form of metal will block the attempt. Has a usable range of about six metres.
    2. Neurovoyance: He is able to percieve the mood and intentions of nearby beings, if they are intense enough. With focus sometimes he can even catch the stray thought.
    3. Hydrokinesis: The ability to move water. Up to about the power where he could walk across a slow moving river without getting his feet wet, maintaining a bubble as he sent the water around him. The faster the water moves and the larger the mass, the harder it is to control. With only a cubic metre though, he can deliver quite the blow... or of course drown someone.
    Personality: Patient and selfless, although these qualities are usually lost behind his cynical outlook and sarcastic manner. He knows he can irritate people, so he tends to keep himself to himself. As a migrant from Spain, he's a bit of an outsider as it is. His family moved to Taggerton specifically so their son could attend the school.
    Favorite Subject: History, particularly European. Music comes a close second.
    Other: His family have a reputation for being a bit weird. Perhaps that's because they isolate themselves, perhaps it's because they like to dress in renaissance getup. Andreas finds them a bit embarassing, to be honest.

8. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Hey, can you guys put the name of your character in bold at the beginning of each of your posts? It just makes it a little easier and less confusing for me. Other than that, great first posts! :cheerleader:

9. Lone Vista

Lone Vista Active Member

Hello there folks! It's only my second time doing one of these, so hopefully I won't make too big a mess of it. :)

Name:
    Joseph "Joe" Waters
    Appearance: Pale, small build, slouches so they look even smaller. Wears big bulky sweaters and hoodies with lots of pockets. Darkish brown eyes. Hair is a dull brown with one streak of dyed neon blue. It's long and straight and often hangs in their face. Has a smallish, battered backpack patched with duct tape.
    Spells List:
    1. Invisibility: They can turn themselves invisible, along with whatever they're wearing or holding. This can extend to one other person, so long as they're touching. Sustaining it requires focus - they can do it while scared or angry for example, but if they get distracted or forget, the effect ends immediately. Although they don't cast a shadow or appear in mirrors, they can still be felt or heard as usual.
    2. Phasing: They can phase through solid objects, like walls. They can carry things with them, but nothing large, (their bag is at the upper size limit) and not other people. The spell only lasts a few seconds, though effort can make it a little longer. If they stop partway through something, there's no damage, but they get stuck.
    3. Shade Clone: Summons a clone of themselves. The clone is only half as strong as the caster physically, and will dissipate if hit too hard by anything. The caster has a dim awareness of the clone's location and activities and can direct their actions. The clone doesn't cast a shadow, appears paler than a real person, and can be seen through if looked at closely. They can be dismissed at will into a puff of smoke. (Joe's clone tends to act and speak more aggressively and snarkily than they themselves actually do.)
    Personality: Very shy, always anxious, easily overwhelmed. Other people scare them, and they don't know how to interact with them, so they avoid social interaction whenever possible. Too sensitive, and easily hurt. Tends to fixate on details that usually aren't important. If they actually start talking for any amount of time, their speech becomes peppered with a surprising amount of casual profanities.
    Favorite Subject: Magic. But besides that, Art. They aren't really into it, but they like just getting to sit quietly in a corner and throw stuff at a canvas without having to think about it too hard. Most of their stuff is abstracts. They're not bad.
    Other: Lives in a house with an overbearing father and too many siblings. They've given up trying to stand out and now just do their best to blend into the background. Their house is too loud and busy, and they tend to avoid it. Likes finding quiet corners other people overlook and curling up with books from the library. Magic and books are pretty much their two favourite things.

10. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    I'll wait for another reply before posting again. Nice work so far, guys. Your characters are fleshed out and interesting. We have a lot of good writers in this RP, it's refreshing.

Silent Lion likes this.
  11. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

Name: Samara Butler

Appearance:
    Tall and *ahem* “solidly-built.” (Don’t call her fat.) She works out a lot, and it shows. Samara is of Middle-Eastern descent, with an olive complexion, and curly black hair that hangs just past her shoulders, usually tied back with a headscarf or band. She has sharp, stern features, but a genuine smile and compassionate brown eyes.

Spells List:
    1. Null Field: Nullifies kinetic energy around her, causing everything to grind to a halt. This affects her as well and has the unfortunate side effect of rapidly dropping the temperature, because kinetic energy is related to thermal energy. If she keeps it up for too long, she could freeze to death.
    2. Last Bastion: Conjures a suit of crystal armor, which forms around her body. When struck, it absorbs kinetic energy and force, but will shatter if it takes too much damage. This stored energy can be used to repair the armor or to counterattack. The armor heats up as it soaks up energy, the opposite of Null Field.
    3. Focus Fire: A form of one-way telekinesis which draws incoming attacks toward her. It is most effective against projectiles, but can also be used to pull enemies in and can even be used to launch herself at a target, provided it is heavy enough for her to be pulled toward it, rather than it be pulled toward her.

Personality:
    Samara is an overbearing mother hen with an almost comically strong sense of idealized “justice.” She always stands up for the little guy… even if the little guy would rather be left alone. She is also a glutton for punishment, the type of person who’d rather take a dozen punches than deliver one punch to end the fight.

Favorite Subject:
    Science and Literature. She gets high marks in Phys Ed, but that doesn’t make it her fav class. Doesn’t care much for math, though she gets decent grades there, too.

Other:
    Used to get bullied a lot until she had a growth spurt at age twelve and turned the tables. Her family claims to be descended from an ancient line of legendary knights in the Old Kingdom and Samara fanatically clings to this fantasy, despite being adopted. She wants to be a cop someday and help people.

12. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Yaaay, @AnonyMouse in da house. :D

13. Silent Lion

Heyyy everyone. Really enjoying this, it's been far too long since I've RP'd.

I've just realised (duh), my neuromancy ability might make things a bit difficult for everyone else's writing. It essentially prevents anyone from harbouring secret ill intent towards me. Do you think we can make it work? I'm thinking it needs a deliberate act of 'sensing' on Andreas' part, like if he's not listening for people's intents he can't detect them. Other than that, maybe our very nice GM Mr. Erik-the-Enchanter! could give me a heads up if anything comes along that I should be able to detect in advance??

Or I could... just change it to a different spell... mumble mumble...

14. Lone Vista

Lone Vista Active Member

I think making it something Andreas has to actively choose to do would work just fine! You could also adjust it with other limitations, such as needing to be very close to someone or touching them, or not being able to tell who's feeling what when there are multiple people. Of course, you can probably just swap it out at this stage if you'd prefer - we're still right at the beginning of things, after all.

Ultimately I think it comes down to what you feel right doing - and what our GM is alright with. ^^

Silent Lion likes this.
  15. Silent Lion

I must admit, I am a bit attached to that ability. I like the irony of someone so caustic and shut off having emotional insight.

Lone Vista likes this.
  16. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Sorry I saw this late, but I can definitely send you PMs about emotions you should feel in the vicinity. No probs.

Silent Lion likes this.
  17. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Wow, alot of characters. Let's try to sort them out a bit.

Alex - Wierd guy, necro-fetish.

Drake - The lazy kid who I'm currently playing with a completely different personality to what I described (Oops)

Trisana - the cute chick. Hippie girl. Light, rainbows and unicorns. The Starfire of the group.

Andreas - Nice but slightly wierd guy. Hispanic, has earth and water magic.

Joe - Kind but extremely socially awkward kid. Genderqueer. A bit of an emo. A bit like Violet from the beggining of The Incredibles.

Samara - Like Katara from last airbender, only her fighting style resembles Toph more. Group mom, probably team leader.

Hope I did your characters justice (as much as I can with a one sentence summary).

18. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Just realised how about half the group are loners or social outcasts of some kind or another.

19. Skye Walker

Skye Walker Banned

Aaaah, no, I've been stalking the RP forum for months, and I missed this one. [snaps fingers] Curses.

(Unless, of course, it's not too late and too crowded?)

20. Silent Lion

@Domino355 Nice summary. You nailed my character. If this immediate crisis settles, I should bring out his caustic side more and make a real effort to irritate everyone. I enjoyed your stop time, it felt like a real Quicksilver moment.

@Skye Walker , I'm cool with it, check in with @Erik-the-Enchanter! .
    I think it may be difficult to write you into the class (because you would have affected the story-s route by now), maybe you could be a member of a class down the hallway? Or, maybe you're a member of our class but you were ill today (lucky you!)?

Aside: Where's the rest of the school? Are we Mistress Wintersmith's only class, and are we the only classroom on this hallway?

21. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    @Skye Walker, Of course you can join! Just make up an excuse for why your character was late to school. Send me your character template for approval as soon as possible.

@Silent Lion, Every other class is follow lockdown procedure, barricade the door and hide under your desks.

@Lone Vista, I don't know how Joe is hitting her in the head with a wrench when she's in the ceiling. :wtf:

@Domino355, "Necro-fetish", lol. :D

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  22. Skye Walker

Skye Walker Banned

Awesome! Thanks! :) I'll send it in as soon as I can.

23. Lone Vista

Lone Vista Active Member

@Domino355 I think those are some excellent descriptions. My poor little emo dude. :D

@Erik-the-Enchanter! Oh, my bad! I read it as her having fallen most of the way through, and hanging from it by her hand. Pardon my brain. ^^;
    Out of a desire to edit correctly, what position is she in exactly?

Or is it that she's too high and I should have Joe stand on something first?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  24. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

@Erik-the-Enchanter!
    I'm a little confused as well. Is Vetala's head on Joe's side or still topside? I'm trying to decide if Samara should finish the job here or rush for the basement to help him out. Or, is the floor so thick her head is stuck in between... in which case she'd probably suffocate, LOL.

@Domino355
    That's a good description. :) I think of Samara as the group's tank, if we're using standard RPG party configuration, haha; she takes the frontline and soaks up damage. Then again, she's already going against my expectations. For example, I didn't envision her as a leader, merely a voice of reason, but Trisana kind of put her on the spot, so she had to step up. I also didn't think she would be so quick to attack, but with Vetala advancing on the group, someone had to charge in and slow her down and Samara seemed like the least likely to be immediately killed while doing so. That's kind of a tank's job, I suppose.

Funny how characters can change five minutes after you write the char sheet. :p

Silent Lion likes this.
  25. Silent Lion

In fairness, Joe was only phasing for a second, only enough to take Vetala through the floor to her ankles and for Joe to be dangling by the wrists from the ceiling of the floor below. So by rights, Vetala should be on the same floor as everyone with her ankles stuck in the floor. Not sure how they ended up in the basement, or how Joe was able to see Vetala's head at a funny angle.

Also, generally there's a gap between a floor and a ceiling where wires and pipes go. So if her head was stuck there, she might get a bit dusty is all.