1. psyence53

psyence53 Senior Member

The Only Method That Has Ever Worked For Me...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by psyence53, Aug 12, 2009.

I've needed a break from writing, after much failure and... well not even that, just LACK OF ANYTHING. I did write a few paragraphs after much planning, planning, replanning, scrapping, replanning and planning again. But it doesn't get me anywhere.

Today for some reason I felt like trying again, not sure why, I just keep thinking about it. I mean, hey, if I never do it, i'll never have that 0.01% chance of being good enough to live off it :p (don't tell me - i know it's far from likely!)

I even felt like writing something from college that i never got around to - which is unusual because i usually like everything to be perfect.

And it was THIS that led me to think back to college (only couple years ago now). College was the only place i ever wrote anything start to finish, albeit in short script format. The first thing i wrote was literally just written without too much thought, then rewritten etc. Got a top mark for it and it was also chosen by the class to be made (it never did... wont go into that).

I loved scriptwriting. I wrote 3 short scripts, in full, in the 2 years at college (UK college, NOT university). I should dig those out. Anyway it was that way, of just a random idea and just WRITINg without too much detail that seemed most effective.

I switched to a programme called Celtx which made things easier. I never actually considered writing books that much, if at all, until a filmmaker at the college told me my second script read a lot like prose.

Scripts are too limiting, but books too... well. Why not go back to Scripts?

Anyway I'm hoping to do that to get back into it (hopefully) because it lays a basic groundwork. It was only about a year after writing my final draft of my first script that i thought of writing it as a book, and thought of a better ending, which wouldn't have worked for a short film.

It worked then, just hope it works now.

2. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

well, good luck!! Happy writing.:D

3. Evelyanin

Evelyanin Senior Member

I counted nine paragraphs. I also have a feeling you didn't spend all too much time deciding what you should write. So in conclusion of that, I think you will do fine. Just write the story that you have in you and worry about fixing it later.

4. psyence53

psyence53 Senior Member

Thanks - yeah, Evelyanin, i can ramble on and on about so much crap, but when it comes to REAL writing, nothing happens. I gave up long ago, i think i shoud give up for good. Would help if i didnt buy loads of nice new paper and index cards that will never get used/go to waste :/