1. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

This or that

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Neha, Mar 17, 2009.

Ok, I'm getting a new cell, but I'm stuck between two choices, and I'd really appreciate advice on which one to get:

Blackberry Bold

Cost- Rs 34990(about $700)
    Features:
    1.Wireless
    2.Email Organizer
    3.Wireless Internet
    4.Phone Camera
    5.Video Recording
    6.Media player
    7.Corporate Data Access
    8.SMS
    9.MMS
    10.GPS 1
    11.Wi-Fi: 802.11b/g
    3.5mm stereo headset capable
    -Integrated earpiece/ microphone
    -Built-in Speakerphone
    -Mono/stereo headset, hands-free and serial port profiles supported (Bluetooth® technology)

12.Approximate Battery Life:
    1. GSM Standby Time: 9 days; UMTS Standby Time: 10.5 days (Standby Time)
    2. GSM Talk Time: 4.3 hours; UMTS Talk Time: 4 hours (Talk Time)

Sony Ericsson Cybershot(C905)

Cost: Rs 32733 (about $655)
    Features:
    1.SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Instant Messaging
    2.Stereo FM radio with RDS
    3. Games-Yes + downloadable
    4.with A-GPS support; Wayfinder Navigator 7
    5.- MP3/AAC/MPEG4 player
    - TrackID music recognition
    - Picture editor/blogging
    - TV-out
    - Organizer
    - Voice memo/dial
    - T9
    6.Camera-8 MP, 3264x2448 pixels, autofocus, xenon flash, Geo-tagging, face detection, smart contrast, image stabilization,video-QVGA@30fps
    7.Bluetooth-v2.0 with A2DP
    8.Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g, DLNA
    9.Memory- Internal 160 MB Card slot Memory Stick Micro (M2), 2 GB card included
    10.Sound-Vibration; Downloadable polyphonic, MP3 ringtones; speakerphone
    11.GPRS-Class 10 (4+1/3+2 slots), 32 - 48 kbps
    12.Battery
    -Standard battery,
    -Li-Po 930 mAh (BST-38)
    -Stand-by Up to 380 h (2G) / Up to 360 h (3G)
    -Talk time Up to 9 h (2G) / Up to 4 h (3G)

Now, I'm making a transition from Nokia N70, so I really have no idea, what either of these two are like(can't be worse than N70), and I'm neither here nor there on the decision yet.

2. apathykills

apathykills New Member

Get the one you can call other people with.

3. Rykoshet

Rykoshet New Member

Haha, hillarious!

Are you really willing to spend $700 on a cell phone? It's good to see that you 16-year-olds have been paying attention to the global financial climate.

4. de locke

de locke New Member

Thats the first thing that came to my mind also

I'm guessing daddy would be paying for it, not her

5. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Why pay full price to begin with? As much as they suck, this is why they invented the contract.

6. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

Has it occurred to you that it's "those sixteen year olds" spending cash on stuff like this that helps to drive the world economy? Perhaps it would be better if they hoard their money and get it out of the system?
    How about you guys offer some constructive comments to her? Her question was which phone to buy, not if you think it's okay if she spends six or seven hundred dollars on a phone. You could have just kept on a walkin' when you saw this thread if you didn't have anything positive to add.

Now to give you my opinion about which phone to buy. I would make a list of the features you think you will need, and will use on a regular basis. Also, can you pick your own service provider? I use Net10 because I refuse to get hooked into contracts with cell phone companies and I have no idea how that aspect works.

From a quick glance, it seems as though the Blackberry is more for corporate users. If I had the need for a phone like one of these, I'd go for the Sony.

Good luck, and enjoy your new phone!

gar

7. Benska

Benska New Member

I agree with everything gamar said.

I don't know you, and I don't want to generalize, but the Sony Ericsson seems alot more suited to a 16 year old. Unless you work in a corporate environment. The seriously good camera and expandable memory are probably 2 of the features that stand out compared to the blackberry. You really can't do without expandable memory, especially with a camera that good; pictures and vids will fill up your phone in no time... if you take a fair few. Oh and you'd be saving $45 ;)

That's just something to consider, though, if you already haven't. As Gamar said, make a list of what you think you need.

Personally, I wouldn't spend more than $200 on a phone. But I'm tight :D.

8. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

I'd buy the Sony. Looks better to me, and I'm not really a fan of BBs (even though I own one).

9. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

This is what Blackberries were invented for, but a surprisng number of people use them just for fun. Even if you aren't going to use a lot of the internet features, they are good if you like text messaging, a lot easier than on a regular cell phone.

10. garmar69

I can see that. I never text message because it sucks so bad on regular phones, but I really have little need for text messaging anyway. But, if you could use it to write copy and upload it to your computer later...I could use a feature like that.

I would love to have an iphone. I was playing around with one in Wal-Mart recently. The touchscreen was a little hard for me because I have big hands. I could deal with that though. And it's about 500 bucks cheaper than the above mentioned phones.

11. apathykills

apathykills New Member

I was just making a joke; not trying to start any trouble. So sorry if anyone takes offence.

That said; the only other thing i use my cell for (other then calls) is as a portable music player. (Because i'm to cheep to get an i-pod). It doesn't have a lot of memory but the sound quality is very nice. It's also durable (i had it in the army for three years, and one war) and it's insured.

These may not be very glamorous details but they are important and if i were you i'd check out durability/insurance/sound quality and so forth as well as all the other features. Just to make sure you're not spending your money on something that will break a year or so after you bought it.

12. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

Almost spat green tea all over my keyboard.

13. Neha

um...to answer the question about the network that works best, I already have Vodafone and that works good on both. And I need the music player and the camera, I keep losing my stuff(I lost an MP4, an i-pod and a Cybershot recently).

And no Papa's NOT paying the whole amount, I've been saving up for this for the past two years, and I'm paying about 14k, and Papa's paying' the other 14k, and I'm getting a 6k deal in for my N70. So it's not much. Waise bhi, it'll be my reward for scoring 93-94%.

Thanks, and I think I'll take the Sony, it's doesn't get scratches easily, nor does it hurt on dropping(most of what I seem to do). But blackberry's kool too, my friend has it, and it's working good for her. But, lol, I'll take the Sony and make sure my sis gets the Blackberry next year. lol.

But thanks for your opinions.(and yeah well, the global economy does need a boostup, the shares have been falling to pits, but at least inflation is under control).

Edit:-uh, an iphone is around the range of these phones too, isn't it? Because, I asked for an iphone, and the dealer told me, that these were better, even though the range was same. The i-pod was for 32k too.

14. Benska

Benska New Member

Are you really sure you should be spending $700 on a phone? lol

15. Neha

oh well, a cell phone is a big think ya know? lol, I havn't misplaced mine yet(that's more of my Mom's league)lol

16. Benska

Benska New Member

Lol, true that, it's just that you'll probably take it everywhere, especially if you're using it as an mp4 and a camera as well. Call me superstitious, but it seems the more expensive the phone, the less time it lasts. In around a year and a half or so, I have lost one, dropped one from a bridge, broken one, and had one stolen. Altogether, around $650 in damages, the one that lasted the longest was $100(like 8 months), the shortest was $250(one month). I know many people with similar stories.
    I'm not really superstitious, but it isn't a hard thing to do. At all. Quite easy, actually, when you have it with you all the time.

Just a friendly warning ;)

17. garmar69

I think you can spend that much on one, but there is one for 200 USD at my local Wal-Mart. The other one are 300 and 400 hundred USD respectively because they have more memory. I don't think they have many cell-phones in the 6-7 hundred USD price range around here - no one can afford one!

My phone cost 50 USD and I spend 15 USD per month service. ($30 card=300 anytime minutes and 60 days service.) It's a flip phone with FM radio, camera, and various other gadgets I never use.

Edit: and I've had it over a year now and it's still in perfect condition. ;)

18. Neha

*double post*

19. Neha

lol, garmar, I've got one up on you, my card cost like $5, and I guess about unlimited talktime for $30 for three months..;) and I was thinking of switching to Virgin Mobile though. They actually pay you if you recieve a call!!!

20. garmar69

I wouldn't mind switching to a company with free mobile to mobile. My wife's side of the family all have that and it's working out pretty well for them.

21. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i was getting ready to offer my condolences for being in the slammer!