1. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

The physiological effect of writing.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by HorusEye, Sep 23, 2010.

Whenever I read and/or write on my story, my stomach curls up into a knot and my blood pressure rises. I would describe it as a tense but ultimately straining excitement.

Would you take it as a good sign? I mean for the story, not for my health. I'm sure it's cutting years off my life span.

2. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributing Member Contributor

Do you just write really dramatic stuff, or does the act of writing itself stress you out?

Do you get the same feeling from many other tasks? I might get a bit excited from getting to the important parts, but apart from forgetting to eat occasionally, I don't think I'm doing anything too dangerous to myself... :p

Er... That sounds pretty odd to me, but then, I write as much as breathe, so I guess I couldn't really feel like that. :p If the adrenaline helps you write better I guess it's not a bad thing for your writing? Though, if you've never tried writing un-stressed, I couldn't say. :p

3. HorusEye

Hm, no, it's mostly this one story. I've written other stuff that made me feel rather dizzy, upset, frustrated or silly-giggly...depending on the tone I guess.

It's a pretty dark tale, so my hope is probably that a reader would feel the same stomach knot as I do, but then I might be expecting too much.

4. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

It must be an awesome story.

5. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Same here. I can totally relate to this statement.

6. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

No but I get major writers block when I have to be mean to my loved characeters, have learned to row with them it helps lol and I have the not eating and sleeping properly thing going on.

I am not a very emotional person naturally though I tend to take life as it comes.

7. HorusEye

Yup, writing keeps you slim with trendy, gothic rings around your eyes.

8. Horizon Noise

Horizon Noise Member

I actually remember all the stories where I've had a physical reaction. 'Perdido St Station' - for the scene of the first concerted effort to stop the slake moths I realised I had shifted position and was literally 'on the edge of my seat'; 'The Time Traveler's Wife', where the reunion scene was so good I felt dizzy, and 'The City and the City' where I actually exclaimed aloud when the main character... did that thing (I won't spoil it).

Aside from that, if my pulse rises above 45 it's likely because I've stuffed myself so full of food my digestion has gone into overdrive to cope.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

are you writing while wearing a bp cuff?!

seriously, i can't see being excited while you write as any indicator of quality in the output...

10. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

Was thinking about this thread lol I have just written about four chapters of one book and the first of another - and they are good:) - may change my mind tomorrow:) I had forgotten the excitement it has been so long since I had been on my first draft properly. It is the best part of the writing process.

When I know I have nailed something there is a sense of huge excitement. The pieces that have just flown onto the page by far my best pieces of dialogues, interaction ect. I think sometimes your gut just tells you that for this piece of work you are on fire. When I wrote a piece when my seventeen year old king is proposed to by his girlfriend I nailed it in the first draft, I was excited when writing it. Aside from some punctuation changes - it has remained the same. My coronation scene was similar it needed changes to fit it into a different place in the story but it remained the same.

I have seen other people who are much greater in their creative fields than I am in writing talk about thier work that way. Writing for me involves instincts. I never regret in life listening to them.

11. Blips

Blips Member

Sometimes while writing I cannot help but laugh and get excited when discovering new ways to connect things or new situations for my characters.

But other than those moments I'm fairly relaxed.

12. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Sometimes if I get on a roll and I'm really pushing myself to get a lot done, I will become very energized and stay up till all hours writing. Then, when I finally call it a night, I usually collapse with exhaustion.

13. Pandora.Writing

Pandora.Writing Member

If it's not actually stress about what you're writing and you're honestly excited about what is happening, then you're enjoying what you do. If the rest of our lives could be like that I think everyone would be a hell of a lot happier. I know that when I'm writing a particular scene I might hold my breath or start whispering what the character is saying, or even making the same facial expressions or actions that they are doing. It helps me to fully understand what is going on in the scene and whether it is realistic.

Other times when I finally get over writer's block or get the answer to a question I've been pondering about for some time I start grinning like a loon or make faces . I even play Halo with my mouth open and my tongue hanging out. If anyone saw my writing progress they'd think I had mental problems.

All just signs of a dedicated writer in my opinion.