1. Ayo

Ayo New Member

Language or slanguage

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ayo, Jan 26, 2012.

do you talk with grammar in mind? in real life? in text and on forums?
    why do you choose to use grammar, or choose to not use grammar?
    does perfect or near perfect grammar have any worthwhile affect on communication?

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I always use proper spelling, grammar and punctuation in any setting. On forums, I'm much more conversational - I write the way I talk and don't mind run-on sentences and stuff every now and then. In work-related writing I'm far more professional and concise with attention to things like active voice and strong verbs. In my fiction, the grammar and word choice depends on how the narrator would realistically talk.

Yes, grammar/spelling/punctuation (often abbreviated as SPAG) definitely has a worthwhile effect on communication in the written world. (In real-life speaking with friends in a casual setting, probably not as much.) Especially on a writing forum, people will take you far more seriously if you take time to form sentences properly and coherently.

3. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I talk without grammar thank god for that..Hehe.
    But when I write things come up because I can see them.
    I see langauge then I can hear it hence the importance of writing.

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Well, I think it's a given that in real life, when talking with friends, no one talks 100 percent grammatically. Something like "Me and John are going to the gas station real quick" isn't grammatically correct, but saying something more formal would sound stuffy.

I do think it's crucial in a written setting, though.

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I use regional mannerisms in speech, I just can't help that, but in writing I like to uphold good grammar, punctuation and spelling. I irritate some of my friends by saying things like 'You forgot the capital letter' and people say to me it largely doesn't matter. In the vast - grand scheme of things they are probably right. It doesn't stop me judging you for poor writing skills however.

6. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

My mother was former teacher, so not using proper grammar (even using slang) was not a good idea :p Now it's just a habit, both speaking and in writing. And maybe it isn't fair, but I do tend to initially judge people by their grammar - or lack thereof.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it depends on the people i'm talking to...

i've conversed just as comfortably [on their own level] with intellectuals including henry kissinger and with any nyc cab driver from any part of the world, as well as with folks from all other walks of life and in many different countries, who have varying levels of english skills... guess you could say i'm a verbal chameleon who speaks as the situation calls for it, so never talks up or down...

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I think grammatically. I speak according to the social context.

I don't "dumb down" my speech, but I will speak colloquially when it fits the tone of the people I'm with and the conversation I am joining.

But to deliberately speak with broken grammar - that requires a translation effort on my part, and I rarely have reason to do so. It's more than choosing slang or jargon, it's actually identifying a grammar rule and wilfully violating it.

9. CH878

CH878 Active Member

The way I speak depends on context, a university interview requires more consideration for grammar than an informal chat with my mates.

As for writing on forums, i alwas trie too rite with corect gramer an punctuashun.

Jokes aside, I do try and make my posts grammatically correct, because (I think, anyway) that it makes it seem like you've put a bit more effort into it. I imagine I make plenty of mistakes though, because my spelling is embarrassingly bad for an English student.

Grammar does have a place, I believe, but it depends on where you are. It's ridiculous to speak with completely correct grammar with your friends, there's no need, but as I said before, adopting Standard English (and even received pronunciation sometimes) can in some situations be beneficial.

10. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I don't think too much about grammar and spelling when writing on forums, though I could never write without capital letters and punctuation like some people do. It's just not a habit of mine, so it would take more effort than writing correctly does. I am guilty of writing lol a lot though... that even bothers me sometimes. Never in my stories though, unless it's that kind of a story.

WaT i DonT gEt Is pEople wHo wrYte lik dIS. I mean, how do you even do that without taking forever? And it looks so weird and is so difficult to read. And it wouldn't matter if you were freaking Tolstoy, no one would take you seriously.

11. Alex W

Alex W New Member

I write as I speak when on forums, they're a social tool after all. I do the same on facebook or anything else. I write with correct grammar and try to watch out for spelling errors etc (which when typing fast and just hitting post can be a pain) but I think that's fair enough.

People who write too formally or be overly wordy when there's no need tend to put me off a little, i'm all for intelligent conversation but when the other person seems to be going out of their way to use technical jargon in an attempt to seem impressive, it seems very unnecessary.

12. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

I think I generally use proper English when speaking. The sentence above "Me and John are going to the store real quick" is not something I would say, but what I would say "John and I are running to the store. We will be back soon." That just doesn't sound stuffy to me. I'm sure there will be a few who tell me it is, though. I'm a fun loving gal, but I have been accused of knowing too much. I don't feel like I know enough, but apparently whether I know who Constantine was doesn't matter where I work (discussion where I was originally accused of being too "smart" haha). I will use common acronyms in forums, however, like LOL and FYI. But the more obscure ones I tend to use rarely.

13. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I think forum posts will inevitably be more 'polished' than speech.

I speak ok. I guess it depends on my mood and who I'm talking to. Slang is fine; basically British English in my case, despite having lived in NZ and Germany as a child also, and coming from a multi-cultural family. I guess there's a mish-mash of influences (or at least awareness) in there, somewhere.

My accent is a similar story! People have sometimes even wondered if I'm Welsh. :D

14. Superevil225

Superevil225 Member

I write vastly different than I talk. I can't think of words and numbers then say them, I always get the numbers mixed up and I forget the meaning of words. But when I write, I can use words like lampoon properly, but when I say it I use it in the wrong context.

Grammar? What's that? I suck at grammar no matter what I'm doing. I know the basics, but I'm missing a lot.