1. Ian J.

Ian J. Active Member

If you could go on a course, what would subject would you study?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ian J., Jul 30, 2013.

I just had a thought for this little frivolous thread for those of us who are out of school and in the world of work.

If you could go on a school/college/university course to study one subject, what would that subject be?

I'll start off. I'd go on a course for composing orchestral music. I'm not sure if I'd ever be accepted into a 'conservatoire', but it's something that has always been in my mind, and would interest me purely for my own pleasure.

2. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Oh that's lovely Ian, I'd like to copy that plan. I fancy a year on a tall ship, irresponsible and learning to navigate; Cape Horn and Tahiti for the breadfruit ;)

Oh college: study French and Dutch.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I'm thinking architecture. Or art. I've always had this fascination with Renaissance art.

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Me too, though that's not the course I think I would end up going on.

I might as well get myself in here before I'm excluded, I would love to have a course on learning to speak and write Ancient Greek, either that or something to help me improve my Latin.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Foreign language courses, art classes, theater workshops. These I have done, and would do more.

I would also go for advanced math, would love to take a course in fluid dynamics, or one in cosmology.

A robotics course would be interesting too. So would an anatomy class.

Honestly, I'm interested in damn near everything (except popular sports). I can never tire of learning new things.

6. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Car maintenance - sick to death of throwing money at mechanics!

7. undertheradar

undertheradar New Member

I'd do a repeat of the months I spent living in the USA where I got to indulge my hobby under the guidance of a brilliant trainer. I don't think I've ever been happier or more fulfilled than that. Shame it doesn't pay the bills and I could only do it because of a unique set of circumstances at the time.

If I went back to uni I'd do a course in an artsy subject - English literature or even creative writing. I wouldn't change my degree/MSc if I had my time again, but I'd like to add to them.

I'd also like Professor Brian Cox to teach me physics. I always struggled with physics.

8. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

I can never really understand why anyone would want to learn Dutch... what is it about that language that seems appealing to non-Dutch speakers?

As for me, I'd go for history/archeology. If I hadn't gone for my teaching degree, history would definitely have been my choice. It still might be, in some years.

9. matwoolf

Okay [MENTION=11050]Lydia[/MENTION], I'll tell you before the orange army invades and destroys your avatar.

I used to be a little Dutch boy, attended Dutch school, played with my Dutch friends, ice-skated, ate chips smeared in peanut butter. I cannot remember a word, 'cept a nursery rhyme and lekker.

In life plan, version Z I return to Amsterdam, manage a cake stall, or one of those coffee bars I've heard about - and pick-up the language, summers in Capbreton. UK has this bloody channel in the way, limits all my ambition.

1 person likes this.
  10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

This is probably going to sound incredibly mundane, but while I teach myself all sorts of interesting subjects via books, etc (learning Hungarian at the moment, just because I want to) I haven't fancied going on a structured course since I graduated from University many moons ago.

What I'd go on a 'course' for now would be something incredibly practical. DIY. I am a DIY-phobe, whose idea of changing a light bulb is getting somebody else to do it for me. My husband is as bad as me. Together, we are pathetic people in this realm of endeavour. I'd love to learn DIY, but I don't want to learn it by making a total arse of our house in the process.

So painting, decorating, cupboard-building, wiring, wall-shifting, plumbing ...all of these.

Nah. That would require another life and a workshop. And I'd have to buy a ladder. And paint. And a hammer. Back to creative writing then...

11. Lydia

Well see, I speak the language myself (Belgian- half Dutch actually!) and it's not that I hate it so much, but it's not exactly the easiest language to learn- not to mention not very pretty sounding either (in my opinion). So, I couldn't understand why anybody with no ties to the country would want to learn it, but after your explanation I get it. And now I'm curious which nursery rhyme that is. :p

And having a cake stall/coffee bar is one of my secret dreams! Well, not so secret. I can imagine all the cupcakes smiling at me... But yeah, I can see why you'd want to come back.

12. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

If it was something I had to be all right at straight off the bat, then I would stick at my current course: Creative Writing. But if it could be anything, then I'd love to do a course on animals or insects. They're far more interesting than humans. ;)

13. Ian J.

Ian J. Active Member

[MENTION=55417]undertheradar[/MENTION]: Hear hear. I do my own online research into physics stuff as part of my background work for my novel series, and I always feel I'm just not getting to grips with it as well I could if I actually had someone to converse and bounce ideas around with. It wouldn't have to be Brian Cox, it could be any decent astro-physicist, but he would do I suppose ;)

14. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

pssst, they have these things called ferries, don't tell everyone...

Not sure [MENTION=36860]matwoolf[/MENTION] is talking about cute little cupcakes unless they're stuffed full with fun...

15. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I'd study astronomy and astrophysics. Also, wouldn't be opposed to opening a coffeeshop in Amsterdam whilst I'm dreaming ;)

16. matwoolf

When I win this Manchester Writers' Competition we have ten thou to invest on the caff.

I'll have JZ and a couple of scientist chaps on the counter. Belgo heads my kitchen, I've seen her cakes - tho' she will have to supervise Erebh the potwash. I'll sort product with the Dutch gangers. We can all study P/T at Amsterdam uni.

BTW, if you like your gangster writes - a couple of googles on 'Dutch gangsters' and there's some real nasty pieces of work, mostly wiped, hit, dead; dood in Dutch.

17. undertheradar

undertheradar New Member

Did you see the show he did on BBC Two back in Feb? It was a one-off programme called A Night with the Stars, and it was truly brilliant. Shame it was on at 10pm on a Sunday night - way too late really. He did such a good explanation of lots of the fundamentals of physics, I was left wondering why none of my teachers at school had explained it that way.

18. Ian J.

Ian J. Active Member

[MENTION=55417]undertheradar[/MENTION]: I think that show was a repeat, I'm sure I saw it a year or two ago.

I do try to keep up with 'The Infinite Monkey Cage' on Radio 4, which Brian Cox hosts with Robin Ince, as well as keep an eye out for TV programmes he's in on BBC Two and Four.

19. Lydia

Belgo?

20. matwoolf

[MENTION=10167]Apo[/MENTION]ls Lydia,

I'm offering you virtually a management position. Get with the biscuit, tch..

21. PiP

PiP Contributor Contributor

If I had the money I would take an Open University degree in Creative Writing or English Lit.

22. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm seriously thinking about matriculating in a culinary school come this fall. Since working as an independent contractor has opening my schedule, there's no reason not to other than feeling like the 'old dude' in class. :)