1. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Werewolves In Teen Paranormal Romance Novels

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by MilesTro, Aug 25, 2012.

Werewolves are one of my favorite characters, but I hated the werewolves in the Twilight series because they only transform into big wolf form wolves. In the Dark Guardian series, the teenagers just transform into regular wolf forms too. I haven't read the Nightshade series , but I bet the characters just transform into regular wolves too. So what's up with that?

Werewolves are suppose to be humanoid blood thirsty monsters! If a person transform into just a wolf, then that person is called a Shape Shifter! So why do authors make those type of characters like that?

Plus are there any other good teen novels where the characters actually transform into humanoid wolves?:mad:

2. TheSerpantofNar

TheSerpantofNar Active Member

Well my thing about werewolves they are my favorite monsters really they should be savage but smart and cunning like a wolf needless to say i think werewolf fiction should have bloody violence and carnage. Ive always thought of them as large,super humanly strong,savage,violent,blood thirsty creatures they work real good in a gothic setting lol.

3. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I agree too.

The Wolf Man movie and Dog Soldiers are also good examples of true werewolves.

Even if the they are in a romantic paranormal novel, they should still transform into violent monsters; not violent animals.

4. TheSerpantofNar

I think the horror about werwolves is the fact they rip their prey apart and in my opinion its like a bear mauling on steroids I have done some werewolf short stories but they don't involve much violence. In my opinion though if you have a werewolf story it should be violent,it should be very bloody I think part of the horror with them is the fact they are so so strong. I remember in the wolfman where he decapitated a guy just with one hand and the classic An American Werewolf in London the killings where bloody and very personal and really plain nasty. I just think you can make great gothic scenes with humanoid werewolves the moonlight,the shadow's and their fur I see it as shiny black myself eye's either blood shiny red or bright eerie yellow with blood red pupils and with the yellow jet shiny black pupils. Ive always imagined them crouched but they can be bipedal on all fours and they can pick of speed that way,their claws I imagine them being over 3 inches long and like razor blades,teeth very large canines and strength wise they could send a pro footballer player flying 6 ft with no issue.

5. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Yah, my werewolf characters will totally be violent in their beast forms.

6. TheSerpantofNar

So why did they try to romanticize them?? At the least they are highly tragic creatures

7. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I think they want to make the werewolves more sympathic just like vampires.

8. The Hollow

The Hollow New Member

I'd be careful with werewolves. Not as careful as with vampires and witches, but still careful. They're getting extremely overdone in books and movies these days. There will probably be a point where people will say, "Not another teen vampire/werewolf/witch movie...". I'm already there.

9. TheSerpantofNar

Well to me its all about how you approach the werewolf,vampire you can't be sappy with them they are monsters and they are blood thirsty creatures. Needless to say I think werewolf fiction should have bloody violence and atmosphere mostly melancholy in nature.

10. The Hollow

The Hollow New Member

There are plenty of works in which the werewolves are your conventional violent, blood-thirsty wolves, BTW. It's mostly movies I'm thinking of - Underworld, Ginger Snaps, even Lupin from HP. There are plenty of conventional (e.g. original Dracula, Nosferatu) or savage and non-romanticized (e.g. 30 Days of Night, The Lost Boys) vampire films out there as well. I'm willing to bet there are even more in books for both categories.

I'm just saying you'd really have to turn the whole idea of the werewolf on its head or have a very good plot surrounding the whole business to make it stand out from everything else that's been done.

11. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

What if everybody is a werewolf?