1. Ubrechor

Ubrechor Active Member

The problem of constant improvement

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Ubrechor, Oct 27, 2011.

Consider the following situation -

One ordinary day, you're randomly browsing through the files on your computer and you come across an old short story or piece of work that you remember being extremely proud of once upon a time. Looking back on it now, you realize that the quality of the piece is nothing compared to what you're capable of now!

This happens quite a lot for me, and it always leaves me feeling rather negatively about my story-writing capabilities because, if the trend continues, I know that no matter what I come up with now, I'll almost certainly look back on it with disdain in a couple of years' time.

Has this thought occurred to anyone else here? Or am I just being pessimistic?....

2. Quezacotl

Quezacotl Contributing Member

You're being pessimistic. When you look back it then, you will know how to improve it.

3. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

First - Continuous writing promotes exponential growth. As you write you gain experience and become more efficient. Over time, as you look back at old writing it will become less and less laborious to improve it.

Second - Why do you think editors exist?

Third - If you love something, set it free.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I look back at stories from the past and think some of it is crap. When you see that crap you assume the stuff you are writing now is utter crap. You become bias. Therefore, you need someone who is impartial. Basically an editor.

4. walshy12238

walshy12238 Senior Member

This is a wise man/woman right here.

But yeah, I know what you mean. I came across a story I had written when I was seven the other day, and it was complete trash (Even though I was seven). I don't really think of it in that way though, I think of it more as my history, my roots. It's what made me into what I am and what I can do today. I'm actually glad that I found it.

The plot was actually kind of interesting, to be honest, even if three quarters of the story was fight scenes.

5. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone starts from somewhere. The best careers are the ones that keep you evolving and learning.