1. animelovers411

animelovers411 New Member

anyone just wish they were popular?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by animelovers411, Jun 5, 2010.

hey everyone

well im animelovers411 you could call me anime if you want and well i just wish i was popular or had a group of people that would supprot my hobbies and me and just listen to me , to be able to have a fun time , i guess thats why i join this fourm i use to go to a fourm were i had a small group of friends and it was awesome i just lost touch with them so this is what i wish i could have anyone else think this way or am i just crazy ?

2. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Hello anime. I hope you find some friends here on the forum and have a good time here.

But don't forget that your best friends are the ones you can actually see and hang out with. If you spend too much time chatting on forums by yourself, you are going to miss out on that.

Maybe you can find out about clubs for kids interested in anime, something like that? Maybe art classes, or school clubs? I'm sure there is something going on near you if you don't know many people yet. Also, try and find a fun group first, and then after that if you get on with them who knows--you may end up one of the popular ones!

Don't try and do funny things to make yourself popular with a bunch of kids you don't even know--it could backfire on you. Life is different from movies ;)

Goood luck!

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I can understand the feeling, but I don't feel this way myself ... most of the time.

I have more than enough friends; too many really; and they take a lot of my time away from more obscure interests for a 20 year-old British guy: like shooting. I have a few friends from High School that I still keep in touch with, and I sometimes go shooting with them whenever I’m visiting my parents. Other than that, which happens maybe a few times a year, I have those friends who want to do something almost every night, and I have found myself saying a flat out ‘no’ on more than one instance so I can read, and work.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Popular? No. I've been popular. I've had the clothes. I've driven the car. I've been let into the clubs on the right nights with the right people.

I didn't have more fun in those days than I do just being a bit of a nerdy guy. ;)

Oh, and welcome!!! :D

5. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

I found myself doing this a lot when I lived in the dorms. At first, I'd hang out with the guys everyday. But after a few months, I'd have to kick some out of my room sometimes or lock the door. It got to the point where people would just come in a turn on the TV and sit in there for hours and talk to me while I'm doing whatever work I was doing. Door could've been shut, could've had a keep out sign, wouldn't matter. But now I kind of miss that. Being stuck at the parents house for the past three weeks has driven me nuts. NO ONE is here! Can't wait to move Monday.

Also, you like shooting? That's pretty awesome because I've always been a fan myself.

6. Lemex

Sounds just like my case aside from the fact that I'm living in a house with four friends. :p

Yeah, I like shooting: it's a great way to relax.

One time me and a guy called Rosey were shooting beer cans, I fired at one can that flew into the air, then he fired and hit this can, hitting it on it's other side, and it flew back onto the table; standing upside-down. We laughed so hard when this happened!

7. Evil Flamingo

Ahh that sounds hilarious. I thing the best thing I ever shot was a can of Great Stuff, it's like this for windows the expands and hardens. It blew up and this foamy caulking stuff filled up this giant area. We were so caught by surprise that we just ended up laughing ourselves silly.

I used to be a competition marksmen here. Definitely lots of fun, and real relaxing if you're shooting like you're supposed to.

8. Lemex

^ lol, that sounds funny. I love it when things like that happen.

And yeah, it really, really is.

9. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    My experience of 'popular' people ended with the conclusion that they're incredibly insecure, tryhard snobs. If you have to be the first to have bought an item of clothing, or product, despite everyone else having it anyway, and if you have to have massive groups of people milling about your room all day everyday, then you must be terribly sad inside.

I like the way me and my friends light up a room when we're together - we get those looks from waitresses when we pile in, laughing and fooling around. But we're harmless, approachable, nice people; and we reflect that as individuals aswell. "Popular" people just want to be seen, end of. That just seems so, so sad in my opinion.

You don't need to be that kind of person to be appreciated in life, no matter what anyone says. Be yourself, enjoy who you are, and others will too. Pretence just makes fools of people.

Anyway, welcome to the site; i'm happy to say you'll find all kinds of cool people here...you know, the good kind. :)

10. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

They say that if you can't spend time to yourself with no distractions- just thinking alone, then you hate yourself.

Can't recall where I heard that.

Ash- When I waited tables, I have given those looks to groups of people before. Usually because they ended up being the loud, rude ones who would actively harass the staff and make ridiculous demands and intentionally try to get on our nerves. Then leave no tip- or dine and ditch- and run out laughing.

I'm sure you guys aren't like that, though.

11. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Yeah, I totally get why you'd give them looks like that. I know why we get them, 'cause they're worried we're going to be that type, but of course we're not. We're the happy-sunny-smiley girls that are having so much fun together that we make jokes with the waitors all the time, and they seem to enjoy having us.

One time I was at another girl's birthday meal, and we got dubbed 'Queen Ash' (I was rather happy to be picked as queen ;) He even said 'I'll let queen Ash choose dessert first!) and 'Princess Cat' etc, haha. We had a game with the guy trying to guess his name, and when we left, we wrote him notes on the napkins and laughed when we saw him blushing. That was a cool time.

Of course i'd be nothing like that if I was alone, but being in a group just makes you so much happier and more confident. I can't stand the loud, rowdy kind that just want to make a mess of the place and abuse their hospitality...if I worked in a busy place, i'd be worried too.

12. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Popularity is relative.

Am I popular? Sure, why not. Got friends. Got a gun. And a dog or two, too. Can't ask for much more companionship then a dog, a gun and some people who you can count on...

See, now you know I have no friends. Damn.

;)

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Not MY relatives!

14. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Ba-dum-TISH.

Anyways, I have sometimes wished to be more popular. My rampant misanthropy kicks in sometime after that and I stop wishing. ;)

15. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I definitely don't have that wish. I don't want to be seen as the ones who have to be perfect at all times in public. I much prefer my group of friends; we're exactly like Ash already said. :)

16. Irish87

Irish87 New Member

Why do you want to be popular? On the other hand, to all those who would spit in the face of popularity, why is it you're afraid to be focused on? We as a whole like to take one of the two extremes, almost always refusing to take the far more balanced and sane middle road. Being popular is fine, but so is not caring and having friends you trust and enjoy being around.

Popularity is nothing more than being the center of attention. So if you want to be popular then I would suggest you either become a stripper of some sort or hang out around little kids. I would advise against doing both at the same time, however. OR, you could just have some friends you enjoy spending time with and not worrying about the opinions of others. To each his own. Either way, best of luck.

17. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

I'm mildly popular, I guess. I hang out with a group we call The Group, which consists of a bunch of kids who all play some kind of musical instrument, write, draw, or have an awesome sense of humor. So I'm content.

18. animelovers411

you guys bring up good point s, i know im not the coolest guy in my life but thats why i come to these forums i guess so people could see the cool side of me , so having best friends out side this forum and stuff yea i have some but they think anime is lame , thats another reason why i came to these things cause every one likes anime and i could get informations or news or just interact with people who like the same thing i mean anime is my real passion in live and most of my friends dont really enjoy it

19. Evil Flamingo

You'll find a lot of people on here enjoy anime. I personally don't, but that's just me, many here do.

20. animelovers411

thanks and nice to meet you

21. Evil Flamingo

Nice to meet you too.

22. Lemex

I for one am not afraid to be focused on; it's just I'm a very independent person who likes to be alone to do my own things: friends are great and all, but sometimes they ask you to go out one too many times. And for some reason, I tend to make friends quite easily.

Are you saying 'we' as a forum?

You wouldn't believe how many of my friends I don't even like - never mind trust.

23. Evil Flamingo

I try to call those "acquaintances."

24. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I've never cared much about being popular, but being UNpopular sucks. I grew up moving about every tree years, so I was repeatedly the new kid at school, aka the punching bag.

I had enough of that after the sixth grade in a bad part of Syracuse NY, so I learned to take care of myself. I learned not to back down, and to throw a good punch if attacked, but I never sought out a fight. I had no love for either the bullies or the popular cliques, so I was not inclined to become part of either category.

What I became instead was fiercely independent, and a bit of a rebel. I rebelled against dress codes, and I spoke out against the war. This was the Viet Nam era, and my firm stand against the war wasn't welcomed by all. Still, I did find schoolmates who felt as I did, and so I did find myself part of a circle of friends. I also had friends among those who enjoyed math and science, and others in the art classes.

I was still thought of as weird or radical by most of the students (and several of the faculty), but that was fine with me. I wasn't about to change to make anyone happy other than myself.

I have changed over the years, of course. My interests shift over time, and my beliefs have evolved, but what has never changed is my independence and commitment to be true to myself.

25. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I think people may be taking the word "popular" in two different meanings, one meaning having lots of friends and the second meaning shallow and clique-tastic.

Anime, regardless of which "kind" of popular you mean, here is my advice: Stop wishing. Wishing is the single most ineffective way of getting what you want and will only leave you bitter. If you desire popularity, form a plan of attack. Promote yourself and interact with others often. Join clubs, volunteer for a cause, get a job, suggest going to popular venues with the friends you already have, be friendly to people while you are out running errands.

One of the things I wouldnt suggest is to spend all your time on Internet forums. While I know this forum in particular has led to a few of friendships and even relationships, this quite is rare. Spending all your time online will not often lead to a lot of real-life interactions.