1. hellomoto

hellomoto New Member

Novel Page Estimate

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by hellomoto, May 28, 2009.

How many words do you think you could get an episode of a show such as CSI, NCIS, The Mentalist etc. if you had to write a novel version?

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

It's all in how detailed your narative is, and how many things need to be described. Keep in mind that a film/TV script is one minute per page. A page for page novilization is probably not going to be much longer.

Why are you interested?

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

one-hour series episodes don't really have enough 'meat' in them to stretch into a novel... each episode's storyline/plot doesn't have any subplots, or at least not enough of them, to give you grist for an 80-100k work...

why would you even consider doing such a thing, anyway?

4. Kester

Kester New Member

An hour show could probably be sensibly put within 15k-40k, at a guess. I've never tried, though.

5. hellomoto

hellomoto New Member

I'm really just curious...

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, you could look at the novelizations of the original Star Trek episodes by James Blish. Each short novel contained about 5 episodes, in what I would guess comprised about 75-100K words each book. Those are mostly no-frills renderings of the TV shows. In other cases, two hour episodes of various shows have been novelised to around 100K-150K stories, usually with additional backstory or other exposition added,

All word counts above are estimates off the top of my head, based on book thicknesses.

7. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

I think it also depends on how you write it- such as if your writing it in paragraphs (I.E- Anna let the door groan as she pushed it open, the foul smell of trash invaded her long. With an upturned nose she scowled," Wow, this place is a pit. ) and such or if your writing a script (i.e - Anna: (walks into the store) wow this place is a pit)