1. Ferb

Ferb New Member

In 20 Years

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ferb, Jul 27, 2009.

1) What do you think you'd think of yourself?
    2) How do you think we'd view the 2000s? (As in, what one concept would summarize all our current hang-ups?)

2. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

1A) I suppose it entirely depends on what I make of myself. I'll be 37 in 2029. Ideally, I'll be able to call myself successful and happy, but first I have to figure out what acts will make me feel as such. I'm excited for those discoveries, at least.

1B) Or do you mean in 2029, what will I think of my 2009 self? I'll think I'm a silly goof who could have done this and that better and was totally stupid. I always have a problem with saying incredibly vapid things (or I at least perceive it as such), and those idiotic moments are always the ones I remember. :D

2) Just like in the 1990s we laughed at the 1980s and in the 2000s we laugh at the 1990s, I suppose in 2010s we'll laugh at the 2000s; everything's funnier in retrospect. I should hope that I'll look back fondly as the 2000s I remember much better than the 1990s, as the 2000s have been my adolescent years (in 2000, I was 8 and 9; in 2010, I'll be 18 and 19), but I'll probably laugh at my clothing choices, my hairstyles that remain from photos.

3. Hsnodgrass

Hsnodgrass New Member

I think we will view the 2000's as the apathetic sixties wannabe with worse music. As for me in 20 years, I'll be 40 so probably married and probably have kids and a few wrinkles. Or a skeleton in the ground. You never really know.

4. Seppuku

Seppuku New Member

1) Perhaps I'll be successful and have a family of my own. I'd probably be thin and fitter and much better at things like Squash. I would mind training to be a lecturer after my degree, so maybe by then I'll be a Dr or Proffessor...or at least that's a cool, yet strange thought. 6th Dan Black Belt would be nice too. ;) So as anybody I'd like to call myself successful and be able to say I've achieved what I want to achieve for then. In 2029 I shall be 40, and will probably have myself a Lotus Elise hover-car to drive around in.

2) I'll have fond memories, I'd get a laugh out of the mainstream music, but then I do already. :) I doubt I'm going to be embarrassed by the music I listen to. Some of the fashion just seems to be a repeat of the 60s, and I don't dress to impress - just long shorts, a black shirt over a t-shirt and a cowboy hat. Though I suppose I could look back and think, "why on earth did I think I looked cool wearing a cowboy hat", and perhaps the same reaction for when I used to have dreadlocks, then again, I might not, I don't think they're fashions that have really died out.

5. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

I'll look at myself as having been a fool. I think that of myself looking back even five years; why wouldn't I think the same in twenty?

I think this decade will be largely defined by the legacies of our current President and the last one, and by the intense partisan divide.
    EDIT: Oh, yeah, and the whole economic crisis thing, duh.

6. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

In 20 years we'll view this decade as the pathetic one where everyone was running around worrying about money.

And I'll probably think I worried too much, but was otherwise still cool. :cool:

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

In 20 years I will be almost 60. I will look back at the 2000 with much nostalgia and I am quite sure that my memory will have done a fair bit of editing to suit my needs.

As to how we will view the era itself? I am sure that the economic crisis will figure prominantly. I pray that Raves will not be remembered, nor do I think there will be much music which will have stood the test of time from this decade.

8. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

1) In 20 years, I'm 37 and I'll probably still not be grown up and I'll think back and wish I studied my math better and wrote in my diary a little more. :p

2) Well, I don't really know... The year 2000 seems ages ago already... I'd probably view it like the '90's. I guess...

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

1) What do you think you'd think of yourself?

as dead, if i could still think in that state!

2) How do you think we'd view the 2000s? (As in, what one concept would summarize all our current hang-ups?)

the 'hung-up generation'?

10. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I'll be a teenager, about to graduate from HS and go on to college, so I'll probably look back at now and think enviously of when I wasn't so busy, or how fun being younger was.

As for the mainstream stuff, I'll laugh at all the fads and fashions, and fondly say "I remember that!" about anything, the way my parents do about the 80s. I'll also be glad we're out of crisis, if we even are by that time. By that time, all major milestones then will be mainstream now (e.g., "first African-American president" won't be such a big deal because we might have another one, which I would love, because we've stayed in that "same" box too long).

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

only if you haven't been born, yet!