1. TedR

TedR New Member

Jun 21, 2009

The Revision Brainstorm Thread

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TedR, Jun 21, 2009.

So, you've just finished writing a story or a chapter in a story. What is the next step? Revising it.

Revision is a key part in writing a story. It's pretty much as important as actually putting the words on paper. Revision makes the story flow smoother and sound better. Unfortunately, revision is one of those things you either love or you hate. It's something every writer faces at some point, whether they like it or not.

The purpose of this thread is to stockpile revision techniques and exercises. How do you revise? Do you have any revision habits? Do you revise differently for longer projects as opposed to smaller projects? Can you suggest any exercises to practice revision?

As for me, I like to print what I'm revising so that I can see it on paper. I mark changes with a pen, then change them on my computer. That way, I have two copies of the same story, the original on paper, and the new on my computer.
  2. lovely

lovely Member

Jan 6, 2009
    I set myself limits on when I can revise, or I never get anything on the page. If I let myself revise, I'll delete everything and start over. I set myself to only revising every time I complete 5,000 words. After 10,000 I can delete a whole scene or a significant part of one. That way I continue moving forward, and make sure that the only revisions I make are what I've written that day. It just helps me make sure I don't get too frustrated and mess everything up.

When I finally do revisions, I also print them and mark them on paper. I think it's easier to do when you're viewing it all in a different way. I have to be able to mark by hand.