1. Harmire

Harmire New Member

The Road

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Harmire, Jul 17, 2008.

This is a really good post apocalyptic book by Cormac McCarthy. The story follows a father and son (their names are never revealed) through a burned and lifeless America, sprinkled with ravenous groups of cannibals and criminals. Most people in the world are dead by now, but they still soldier on, heading for the coast.

I truly loved this book, and I finished it in one day (took me a few hours).

2. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Cormac McCarthy is great. I've read almost all of his books now. I don't know what it is about him, but once I crack open one of his books, I can't really put it down until I'm done with it. You should try out Blood Meridian and All the Pretty Horses. I liked those two the most.

3. Harmire

Harmire New Member

Yeah, its hard to pull out of his books once you start. I'll check those books you listed though, hope they're good.

4. Silque

Silque New Member

I've read 'The Road' and in all honesty, I really didn't like it that much.

I can see what McCarthy is trying to achieve with the writing style, which is unique and probably one of the main reasons the book scooped the Pulitzer prize.

I feel the story is 'good', but nothing special. It's a decent read, but I've read far better books.

What do you think to McCarthy's style of writing in the book? And do you really think that the story is 'Pulitzer prize-worthy material'?